Quick Release clicking - driving me insane

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I completely disagree with sector here, no need to make more damage.

I would say the QR's fixed it by clamping properly, not some grease that after all will only encourage movement.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Secteur wrote:
    yes the outsides mainly, but both inside & outside would be good.

You dont want to smooth it with finishing paper - you want to remove any compacted grease / smooth paint finish and to give it a slight rough grippyness to prevent any movement. your aquaproof grease will do the rest. You dont want to be filing away layers of your bike - just a roughening of the top layer where the QR will abut.

As I said before, we are making the assumption this is source of the noise. If it is, then this should work.

Ok i can't remember if I have a file - if so i'll use that and try and rough it up a bit.

I can't be 100% this is the source of the noise but it seems too much of a coincidence that tightening the QR fixes it..
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    The Rookie wrote:

I would say the QR's fixed it by clamping properly, not some grease that after all will only encourage movement.

Let's agree to disagree then!
  • Secteur wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Let's agree to disagree then!

Haha not sure what to do now! Guess i'll see on the way home if the creak starts again and if tightening the QR some more doesn't sort it then i'll have a go at Secteur's method.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's definitely not your headset or bottom bracket?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:

Funnily enough last night I decided to remove the crank and tightened the BB. This morning I stripped and regreased the headset - I'd like to say the noise is gone.

It was hard to hear over the rain this morning so i'll have to see on the way home and report back.

I'm beginning to think it can't the QR and that tightening it must have been a placebo effect.

The headset was packed with grease but I cleaned it and repacked anyway.

Cheers
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I've never greased the frame/QR interface on any of my bikes, nor roughened the frame drop-out surfaces......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ben6899 wrote:

Funnily enough last night I decided to remove the crank and tightened the BB. This morning I stripped and regreased the headset - I'd like to say the noise is gone.

It was hard to hear over the rain this morning so i'll have to see on the way home and report back.

I'm beginning to think it can't the QR and that tightening it must have been a placebo effect.

The headset was packed with grease but I cleaned it and repacked anyway.

Cheers

I nearly posted yesterday that I agreed it is most likely the headset or bb.

Also are you sure the headset conical top cap is clearing the top tube, if it barely does, clicking can happen. The answer in that case would be to add a shim washer underneath it (or another one), like these https://www.mcconveycycles.com/0-4mm-headset-shim-spacer.html.

You want there to be the smallest of gaps there, not enough to let water in though if you can help it.