Weird stuff by the side of the road

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited October 2016 in Commuting chat
Today's random thing spotted in the gutter: a dessert spoon. Makes a change from single trainers, I s'pose

What's the most random/weird thing you've seen lying around?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Not random but I've noticed an increase in the amount of almost full bottles containing green/orange liquid.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    I often see single socks. how does that happen?
  • A (fully prepared) side of venison. Quite literally fell off the back of a lorry...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A big fish. Nowhere near a pond.
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Not weird but a lot of dead squirrels recently
  • A bumbag with £120 in it, all in coins.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Around 30 large bottles of Sminoff Vodka. Completely full (Looked unopened) in bin bags, on a country road miles from anywhere. Bottles were too big for the bottle cage though :(
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Saw a deceased badger this morning on Kingston Hill. Fairly unusual for London.....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    You really don't want to know. A car park area on our route has a "reputation" and we see what is discarded from the previous night if we stop for a "natural break".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    almost full bottles containing green/orange liquid.

This is known as 'driver tizer' - long distance lorry drivers have a wee in a bottle then throw it out of the window :roll:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    natrix wrote:
    almost full bottles containing green/orange liquid.

This is known as 'driver tizer' - long distance lorry drivers have a wee in a bottle then throw it out of the window :roll:

Green! What are these lorry drivers drinking? Probably those fiendish caffeine drinks.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    MBCaad8 wrote:

Saw LOADS of these yesterday, much more than normal - time of year?
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    You really don't want to know. A car park area on our route has a "reputation" and we see what is discarded from the previous night if we stop for a "natural break".
    Same thing. Used condoms, gentlemen's magazines. Found out that one of our local routes is also a reknown dogging spot.
    The truth was revealed when we did one of our off-road night rides. Rode past a rather large lady 'servicing' 5 or 6 men.
    The subsequent rumour that it is now our regular riding route is untrue. :wink:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • apreading wrote:
    MBCaad8 wrote:

Saw LOADS of these yesterday, much more than normal - time of year?

Lots of squidgers roaming the ground looking for acorns/food to bury and store for winter = lots of dead squidgers
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I found a few 1kg gold bars but they were not there the following week.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    FishFish wrote:

Yeah, I saw them being loaded onto a Nazi train and taken off somewhere in the middle of the night. I am sure there is a secret tunnel round here - maybe next to the 'secret nuclear bunker'...!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Same thing. Used condoms, gentlemen's magazines. Found out that one of our local routes is also a reknown dogging spot.
    The truth was revealed when we did one of our off-road night rides. Rode past a rather large lady 'servicing' 5 or 6 men.
    The subsequent rumour that it is now our regular riding route is untrue. :wink:

In the context of your username. Eugh.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    On an off road gravel path, a ten feet high fibreglass clowns head (presumably from a fairground).
    It was about 3/4 of a mile in, with no vehicle access :shock:
  • Road kill of the unusual variety.... a rather large adder that had been squished pan flat and then dried for several days in the hot summer sun
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I get quite a lot of road kill on my route, squirrels and rabbits mostly but the odd badger and the other day a Fox.

Most unusual was an Ultegra rear mech that had very twisted cage parts and had obviously gone into the spokes and been ripped off (part of hanger still attached). Took that home and the Jockey wheels are now in my daughters MTB (XT) mech and a friend had the main pivot bolt after his got corroded and seized (forcible removal!)- I think they call that re-cycling?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    apreading wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

Yeah, I saw them being loaded onto a Nazi train and taken off somewhere in the middle of the night. I am sure there is a secret tunnel round here - maybe next to the 'secret nuclear bunker'...!
    Fortunately, in these days of openness and transparency, it should be easy to find...
    3068226949_f26213eeb2.jpg
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    antsmithmk wrote:
    a rather large adder

If it was near Surrey then you could report it here: http://www.surrey-arg.org.uk/SARG/12000 ... gsSite.asp

Otherwise your local reptile group may have a sighting reporting form.

Adders are becoming increasingly rare.............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • We just get those little, shiny gas canisters that I thought were for pumping tyres up but aren't. Some kind of recreational thing. Oh we also get MacD packaging despite the nearest being half an hour away. Loads of them too.

Hedgehogs are a common squidge round here, the odd magpie caught out trying to eat other roadkill.

25 minutes up the road we see a lot of badgers squished. Apparently there's some local farmers who catch, kill and deposit dead badgers on busy roads. Apparently a dead badger that's reported on farmland might end up being tested for poison. Put it on a road for a truck to squish and they don't test it. That's been told to me by a farmer from near that area too.

BTW you generally see headless badger bodies on n roads. I got told it's because the head is so strong the vehicle hitting it just rips it off to send it flying off the road or up the road some way. Gruesome fact of the day!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    not really on the side of the road but i saw a man in a top hat cycling the other way on a full sized penny farthing.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    I keep seeing scrums of people at what I believe are called "bus stops". I always find that weird.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Found a large discarded handbag containing a snapped off kitchen knife handle and several unopened condoms.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Weirdest thing I ever saw was on commute v1.0 5 or so years ago, big pink dildo in the gutter by some traffic lights.

This week I've seen LOADS (comparatively) of squashed rats. This week so far I think I'm up to five, normally only seen them whem they've been cutting the verges, not sure what's up at the moment.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    big pink dildo in the gutter .

I remember this being mentioned in a post which must be a couple of years ago and it made me laugh, funny what sticks in your mind! I presume it was you that posted it, unless someone else saw it, or there was two!
  • prawny wrote:
    big pink dildo in the gutter .

I remember this being mentioned in a post which must be a couple of years ago and it made me laugh, funny what sticks in your mind! I presume it was you that posted it, unless someone else saw it, or there was two!

Just searched, it was you...in 2009!

'Dildo' did throw up some other posts funnily enough.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I already posted about the T34/85 tank that's in Mandela Way just off Old Kent Road and someone else has already mentioned all those silver gas canisters, I presume they are legal highs or whatever da yout use these days.

So I will go with young ladies wearing those broken leg/foot 'boots'. There must be a phantom foot stamper on my route at the moment who is getting his kicks in a strange way because in the last few weeks I have seen literally dozens of young females wearing these things.

313C299800000578-0-image-a-246_1455544662551.jpg

Usually they are well presented, in office wear but they all have this boot on. And no, it's not the same woman each time.
    FCN = 4