2016 Worlds *spoilers*

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Didn't even think of the desert factor, cheers.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Also, on the Belgian tactics in the chasing group - namely putting themselves right towards the front of the group to disrupt, rather than just following. My understanding was always that though what they did was allowed by the letter of the law, it really wasn't the done thing at all.

I wonder if this is the kind of thing riders talk about when there's "less respect" and "we need a patron".

I did wonder too but I think the fact there wasn't much organisation in the chase kind of made it ok - they were going to front and slowing it down by riding an easy tempo but not actually disrupting a group of riders who were trying to organise through and off.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,654
    Like, for example, it didn't happen in the classics when QS were inevitably behind the first group with 5 riders after the initial selection; at least, not to my memory.
  • FocusZing wrote:
    Nice selection of shots dish_dash.

Pauline Ballet's shots from Doha are particularly good
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Like, for example, it didn't happen in the classics when QS were inevitably behind the first group with 5 riders after the initial selection; at least, not to my memory.
    Because anyone trying that would have been run down by Patrick Lefevere in his team car!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    FocusZing wrote:
    Nice selection of shots dish_dash.

Pauline Ballet's shots from Doha are particularly good

Cheers RR2.
  • rick_chasey
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Because anyone trying that would have been run down by Patrick Lefevere in his team car!

That's kinda my point!
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    It's not out of the ordinary - see it happening quite a lot IMHO. Dangleknobs frustration was probably just as much to do with the other teams not pitching in as it was to do with what the Belgian lad was doing
  • I think the worlds will run to different rules anyway. It's slightly different when somebody might do the same back to you on tomorrow's stage or next weekend, whereas by next year they might have forgotten, you might not even have a rider worth working for, the tactical situation is different etc. It puts more of an emphasis on short-term gain - I'd be amazed if there hasn't been a game theory paper or two on it...
  • rick_chasey
    ShutupJens wrote:
    It's not out of the ordinary - see it happening quite a lot IMHO. Dangleknobs frustration was probably just as much to do with the other teams not pitching in as it was to do with what the Belgian lad was doing

Any recent examples?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Weren't some Movistar riders playing a similar disruptive role in the Vuelta Stage 15 chase group?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    JSCL wrote:

I think Debusschere was doing a bit more than that - wasn't it when Degenkolb found himself riding off the front of the group because his wheel hadn't been followed that he got really annoyed?

That's the kind of thing I'm referring to.

I just note it as an indication to me that peloton standards are changing.

Riding is becoming very negative. You see it a lot.

Iljo Keisse tweeted that him and JB had a specific "difficult" role which was to disrupt the chase. I thuink it's part of the game and always has been.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Surely it's down to those chasing to not let the Belgians into the line? It wasn't as if they were having to barge people out of the way to disrupt things. The lack of people willing to ride up front and put their noses in the wind made it easy for the Belgians. There wasn't one team, or even a group of 5 or so committed riders, chasing.
  • ShutupJens
    Not off the top of my head - as none have provoked such a reaction. Organised chases usually have a gatekeeper though to sit at the head of the rest of the bunch and only let through people who are committing to the chase
  • ShutupJens
    http://youtu.be/_cEV1l9i1ec

There you are Rick - Hushovd not just sitting on but actively disrupting the chase
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    thegibdog wrote:
    Surely it's down to those chasing to not let the Belgians into the line? It wasn't as if they were having to barge people out of the way to disrupt things. The lack of people willing to ride up front and put their noses in the wind made it easy for the Belgians. There wasn't one team, or even a group of 5 or so committed riders, chasing.

Exactly. Greipel and Kittel alone should have been capable of intimidating the two Belgies but I don't think there were many in that second group who really wanted to get back up front.
  • rick_chasey
    Speaking of Greipel, PTP wisdom didn't predict he would be the one to lose the wheel that caused the split!!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Terpstra's Strava ride;

https://www.strava.com/activities/74674 ... t=3Dn9XuZ4

Fearsomely quick on the tailwind section.
  • rick_chasey
    ShutupJens wrote:

There you are Rick - Hushovd not just sitting on but actively disrupting the chase

No that's not the same.

He's marking people out.

I'm talking about a proper group and disrupting those riders who are trying to chase (as opposed to sitting on in the group) by getting in that front bunch of riders and leaving gaps in that train.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I'm talking about a proper group and disrupting those riders who are trying to chase (as opposed to sitting on in the group) by getting in that front bunch of riders and leaving gaps in that train.
    Dish dash's example above from the Vuelta is what you're talking about though isn't it?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ShutupJens wrote:

No that's not the same.

He's marking people out.

Did Yates not do similar in the Tour, albeit uphill?

Can't remember exactly, may not have been watching, but seem to remember him having to defend himself on Twitter.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ShutupJens
    There was no train to speak of though? If it were the bunch chasing a break with an organised team chasing then fair enough, but this was a split in the bunch where the Belgians/Hushovds advantages would have been totally negated if the junction had been made. If the Germans had organised a chase (a proper one) then I doubt this would have happened
  • ShutupJens
    Paris - Roubaix 2014: http://youtu.be/GJ_2VzQ6ykw

Opqs riders in the chase group sat 3rd and 4th wheel, don't suppose that they will be rolling through if anyone flicks the elbow?

Another instance would be a stage of the Dauphine 2014 I think - Kelderman and Adam Yates clip off the front, can't remember who was chasing but another OGE rider was sat 2nd wheel making sure no one else was going to come through
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Tony Martin's position... haven't seen it often front on...

CORVOS_00027160-032.jpg
  • Sagan's palmares following his Worlds win (courtesy of ammattipyöräily). He's clearly over-rated but not a bad little list...

Cu66IkgXYAAvtWd.jpg:large
  • rick_chasey
    He's only 26.
  • He's only 26.

I know, I was being 'humorous'. I should've added that he hasn't beaten a fully-fit Froome in a GT yet to make it clear.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited October 2016
    I think there may be a risk of burn out with him though. He could use a sabbatical like Valverde had.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Incredible record, wins across the board too.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think there may be a risk of burn out with him though. I could use a sabbatical like Valverde had.

The scary thing is - he may already be over his bad patch
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!