Crack on BMC TMR02

rastegorac95
rastegorac95 Posts: 11
edited November 2016 in Road general
Hi guys,
I had an issue with my BMC, I was riding it and to avoid a crash with a car a had to run through a pothole, not a big one, but my frame cracked on the downtube, I did not fell from the bike, not even got a flat, a bite on the tube or a broken spoke, just a cracked frame with not more than 6 months old. Is that normal?
I wrote to BMC but the guy who answered me seems to be an *, I dont get how on earth a frame cracks before a broken spoke or a flat on the wheel!?
Anyone with a similar thing? What do you recommed?
Any help?
Thank you,
Sorry for the bad english.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's a track machine ?

Not many potholes on a velodrome. So they'll probably not warranty it as you weren't using it as intended ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just Googled BMC TMR02 and it doesn't look like a track bike.
    Sounds like you have a valid warranty claim to me.
    In the first instance you need to go back to the retailer, not BMC. (In the UK and I think the rest of the EC anyway. Where in the world are you??)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    keef66 wrote:
    I just Googled BMC TMR02 and it doesn't look like a track bike.
    Sounds like you have a valid warranty claim to me.
    It is indeed a road bike and I agree with you with ref to warranty.
  • Can you post a picture?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • fenix
    Aah sorry - it's the TR02 that's the track version.

Yes a picture would help. How can you tell it's a crack ? Lovely looking bike.
  • view?usp=drivesdk
    view?usp=drivesdk
    Hope this can be seen
  • fenix
    Woah !

What did the BMC guy actually say ?
  • That'll buff out
  • That it is not a mal function of the frame and That it is my fault :/
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Take it back to where you bought it, let them deal with BMC.
  • Flasher wrote:
    Take it back to where you bought it, let them deal with BMC.
    I did it, that was the answer I got
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Are they trying to say you hit a bridge/barrier with it on the roof then, as surely that is the only way you could accidently crack your down tube in half! Or a road traffic accident!
    Also, the lack of any other marks on the bike clearly proves this wasnt the case?
  • AK_jnr wrote:
    Are they trying to say you hit a bridge/barrier with it on the roof then, as surely that is the only way you could accidently crack your down tube in half! Or a road traffic accident!
    Also, the lack of any other marks on the bike clearly proves this wasnt the case?
    The actual response is like this, we dont know how deep the pothole was, so we cant make you valid the guarantee, it is your fault for bad driving, something like that.
  • Well, that sucks. That's one time that having insurance may have come in handy, I'm assuming you dont?

Did the pothole have coloured markings around it ... if so that usually implies that the council have been alerted to it, so you might be able to claim from them. You'd have to have photos of the pothole to prove that though I'd imagine.
  • Citizens advice bureau? Do they deal with this sort of thing? It's a pretty outrageous response from bmc, they need to be threatened with legal action!!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Contact Trading Standards, if they think you've a case l.e. The bikes not fit for purpose they will help you draft a letter to send to the shop informing them of their legal obligations.
  • It shouldnt have done that but it goes hand in hand with the current obsession for ultra light bikes. Good luck with sorting it out.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    To be honest i wouldnt beleive you 'just hit a pothole' either.
    You would think there would be a lot more cases of this if that was the case.
  • dwanes wrote:
    To be honest i wouldnt beleive you 'just hit a pothole' either.
    You would think there would be a lot more cases of this if that was the case.

Direct impact damage to the cracked area?
  • Not even a scratch on the frame, I dont need you to beleive me, see the photo, my bike has not even touched the floor or any other stuff than the wall at my house.
  • I dont need you to beleive me, see the photo,

Yes, but you need the shop to believe that happened JRA
  • fenix
    I'd maybe get some good photos of the damage and then start tweeting to BMC and the shop ?
  • If I saw that and was being cynical, id be wondering if the bike had been on a roof carrier clamped by the downtube, with the clamp overtightened.
  • fenix
    Seems to be too high up though for a bike rack clamp ?
  • That'll buff out

Might need some t-cut first though.
  • After about five pages we'll find out the rider weight is 120Kg.
  • fenix
    Even so that should be fine - BMC says it doesn't have a weight limit on its bikes.
  • No restrictions at all, "do what you want with the bike because we won't take it back"
  • fenix
    :-)