Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,530
    Pinno wrote:
    ...a can of ambrosia rice...
    TWM - Just plain, uncooked oats?.

Yes

my standard daily brekkie is...

jumbo rolled oats + 50% by weight raisins (i pre-mix them 1-2kg at a time and keep in an old high5 tub) a portion is c. 80g, + handful bran flakes + a few blueberries or strawberries

i don't soak the oats, just pour on skimmed milk (full fat makes me feel sick), stir around and eat

get the oats/raisins/bran online in huge bags
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • getnoticed wrote:
    Tried Weetabix drink or Up&Go?

Easy to get down and has a few carbs too

That isn't food.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,328
    sungod wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Yes

i don't soak the oats...

Don't they swell up in your stomach?
    getnoticed wrote:

That isn't food.

When you cannot keep anything down, frikkin cardboard could be considered 'food'.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,530
    Pinno wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Yes

i don't soak the oats...

tbh never even occurred to me that they might, i've never had any bloating/discomfort

plus i like them chewy, once they go squishy, or in porridge/porage, i go right off them

the amount involved isn't huge, 50-60g, i'm skinny but even if they did swell i'd think there's plenty of room in there :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Pinno wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Yes

i don't soak the oats...

getnoticed wrote:

That isn't food.

When you cannot keep anything down, frikkin cardboard could be considered 'food'.

There would be more nutrition your own vomit
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Yes

i don't soak the oats...

getnoticed wrote:

That isn't food.

There would be more nutrition your own vomit

I'm not a dog.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    If I eat too much or too close to riding I end up with a mouth full of breakfast on the first hill. Normally I tend to go with a fairly small breakfast (small serving of porridge and coffee) and just start eating earlier in the ride.

Bircher muesli as suggested up-thread is something else I do quite often (if I've remembered to buy it/been bothered to make it the night before). Saves time in the morning too, even if it's only 5mins compared to porridge it's still 5 extra minutes for the food to settle.

Other thing is, just take the start of the ride slow to let the food settle... Sit in the group if it's a club ride.

I think the perfect cycling breakfast would be eggs on toast and some sort of smoothie with oats in it, but I would have to finish it well over an hour before leaving the house and for a regular club ride I can't be bothered getting up at 6-7am on a Saturday/Sunday. Then for sportives they always seem to either start really early or involve a load of faff beforehand, so I just try to make sure I've eaten well the night before and eat breakfast as normal.
  • pinno
    'Up-thread', I like it. That could catch on.

Yep, 6.27am start for the Etape Caledonia me. FFS.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Finding palatable morning foods before big ride affects many people, but your case seems extreme and underlying problem should be found, in my opinion. Meanwhile, to 'wake up' stomach, why not drink some water or mild tea and do a few sit ups and stretches to get blood flowing before the breakfast. I find fruit smoothies with protein great for after ride recovery, but oats work much better as breakfast.
  • mamil314 wrote:
    Finding palatable morning foods before big ride affects many people, but your case seems extreme and underlying problem should be found, in my opinion. Meanwhile, to 'wake up' stomach, why not drink some water or mild tea and do a few sit ups and stretches to get blood flowing before the breakfast. I find fruit smoothies with protein great for after ride recovery, but oats work much better as breakfast.

What fruit in the smoothies?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I chuck in banana for sugar and blueberries for anti-inflammatory effect
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I don't have breakfast before rides. I take 2 boiled eggs with me - and eat these after about 2 hours - coupled with regular gulps of high 5 .......and theres always a shop selling flapjack if you get really hungry..
  • pinno
    kingrollo wrote:
    ...I take 2 boiled eggs with me...

:shock:

You do realise that it takes as much energy to digest a hard boiled egg as the calories you derive from eating it?
    kingrollo wrote:
    .......and theres always a shop selling flapjack if you get really hungry..

You can make home made flapjacks - pretty straightforward and add dried fruit and mixed nuts.
  • kingrollo
    Pinno wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

You do realise that it takes as much energy to digest a hard boiled egg as the calories you derive from eating it?
    kingrollo wrote:

You can make home made flapjacks - pretty straightforward and add dried fruit and mixed nuts.

No I didn't realise that. (the eggs) - seems to work me - Im not in fridge demolisher mode when I get back either...
  • pinno
    kingrollo wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

kingrollo wrote:

No I didn't realise that. (the eggs) - seems to work me - Im not in fridge demolisher mode when I get back either...

I guess the eggs are still working their way through the system.

If it ain't broke...

...it's probably Campagnolo.

See - you weren't expecting that were you?
  • kingrollo
    Pinno wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

kingrollo wrote:

I guess the eggs are still working their way through the system.

If it ain't broke...

...it's probably Campagnolo.

See - you weren't expecting that were you?

Im a shimano man - that likes eggs !
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    That thing about eggs and calories can't possibly be true can it?
  • pinno
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Yep. I only know this because my then gf was dieting (for a reason totally inexplicable to my myself) and the hard boiled egg consumption was a ploy to make you feel full. It's in the 'negative calorie' food bracket. The top Negative value foodstuff is celery:

"Hard Boiled Eggs to Lose Weight
    Hard boiled eggs for weight loss diet is not something new. Many know that hard boiled eggs have a lot of protiens which when boiled requires more energy from your body to digest the hard boiled egg than the energy in the egg. So in the list of negative calorie foods boiled eggs should have a top position, because it is such a nutritious food without calories. Hard boiled eggs are also very nutritious with plenty of proteins and other essential nutrients and so helps in leading to a healthy weight loss diet. So go with Hard boiled eggs for weight loss."

Anyway, hard boiling the eggs changes the nature of the protein value in the Albumen. Hard boiling adds a little value:

"Cooking and Egg Protein
    Cooking eggs changes the structure of their constituent proteins. Proteins in raw eggs are tightly packed together and held in place by weak chemical bonds. When you heat egg proteins during cooking, some of these bonds break and the proteins strands begin to separate from one another. This makes the egg proteins more easily digestible and absorbable. Although the protein content is the same in raw and cooked eggs, your body is better able to utilize the protein from a cooked egg compared to a raw egg."

...and the nutritional value is good:

"Vitamins and Minerals
    Regardless of how you cook them, eggs provide you with a diverse array of vitamins and minerals. Most of the vitamins and minerals in eggs are concentrated in the yolk, including vitamins A, D, E, B-6 and B-12, folate, thiamin, calcium, iron, zinc and selenium. Egg whites contain the majority of the potassium and magnesium in eggs. Phosphorus is found in high concentrations in both the white and yolk of an egg."
  • kingrollo
    Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Yep. I only know this because my then gf was dieting (for a reason totally inexplicable to my myself) and the hard boiled egg consumption was a ploy to make you feel full. It's in the 'negative calorie' food bracket. The top Negative value foodstuff is celery:

"Hard Boiled Eggs to Lose Weight
    Hard boiled eggs for weight loss diet is not something new. Many know that hard boiled eggs have a lot of protiens which when boiled requires more energy from your body to digest the hard boiled egg than the energy in the egg. So in the list of negative calorie foods boiled eggs should have a top position, because it is such a nutritious food without calories. Hard boiled eggs are also very nutritious with plenty of proteins and other essential nutrients and so helps in leading to a healthy weight loss diet. So go with Hard boiled eggs for weight loss."

Anyway, hard boiling the eggs changes the nature of the protein value in the Albumen. Hard boiling adds a little value:

"Cooking and Egg Protein
    Cooking eggs changes the structure of their constituent proteins. Proteins in raw eggs are tightly packed together and held in place by weak chemical bonds. When you heat egg proteins during cooking, some of these bonds break and the proteins strands begin to separate from one another. This makes the egg proteins more easily digestible and absorbable. Although the protein content is the same in raw and cooked eggs, your body is better able to utilize the protein from a cooked egg compared to a raw egg."

...and the nutritional value is good:

"Vitamins and Minerals
    Regardless of how you cook them, eggs provide you with a diverse array of vitamins and minerals. Most of the vitamins and minerals in eggs are concentrated in the yolk, including vitamins A, D, E, B-6 and B-12, folate, thiamin, calcium, iron, zinc and selenium. Egg whites contain the majority of the potassium and magnesium in eggs. Phosphorus is found in high concentrations in both the white and yolk of an egg."

Lots of theories on dieting though - for almost every diet or food type that assists with weight loss - somebody pops with the counter theory - that actually it makes you gain weight. I was reading an article the other day - that cardio excercise in certain people creates weight gain - and thats fat not muscle

Like a lot of things - I believe different people react in different ways - whats suits one - won't suit another
  • pinno
    Don't disagree KR bt the author did say "Hard boiled eggs for weight loss diet is not something new...", so there must be somethings that remain constant.

All we need is Manc33...
  • kingrollo
    Pinno wrote:
    Don't disagree KR bt the author did say "Hard boiled eggs for weight loss diet is not something new...", so there muust be something that remain constant.

All we need is Manc33...

So whats he saying ? - you eat eggs you feel full - so don't need to take on extra calories - could some not get that effect from say a couple of apples ? - also I would wager - that some people could wolf down 2 boiled eggs and still feel a bit peckish ! - all down to calories in \ calories out...

I could do with loosing a few pounds - so its good for me ! - I didn't have to take the higher calorie option of the flapjack cafe stop ! - and came home after 47 miles - with a good average speed for me, and didn't bonk.
  • pinno
    Easy mate, he never said that. If it works for you then fine.

Dieters eat them to feel full, like they have eaten something. I never said 'cyclists' and no one said one or two - You could do a Cool Hand Luke on them and let me know how you get on.
  • kingrollo
    Right on cue...

a BR article saying how good eggs are for cyclists ......

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/t ... sts-17125/

Be one saying how poor they are for cyclists in a couple of weeks...
  • kingrollo
    Pinno wrote:

Dieters eat them to feel full, like they have eaten something. I never said 'cyclists' and no one said one or two - You could do a Cool Hand Luke on them and let me know how you get on.

No my point is for every good food - theres some little anecdote "actually its bad for you'

I don't know what a cool hand luke is ?
  • Eggs are well renowned for replenishing depleted glycogen stores mid ride...
  • pinno
    kingrollo wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

No my point is for every good food - theres some little anecdote "actually its bad for you'

No one said eggs are bad for you, neither the author of the above quotes or me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct3CcR3c4oM
  • kingrollo
    Pinno wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

No one said eggs are bad for you, neither the author of the above quotes or me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct3CcR3c4oM

Maybe not in those words but

"You do realise that it takes as much energy to digest a hard boiled egg as the calories you derive from eating it? "

comes close