Long reach brakes for Kinesis Granfondo Ti V3?

2»

Comments

• I got a silver disc in the box which I assume is a crown race but it seems far too small.

I should have said I've never fitted one before so maybe they all seem far too small!
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • You will need to put a crown race on that fork as far as I can make out. Mine required crown race but the rest of the headset was simple to put together. Is yours tapered??

Some info. here...http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Headsets/Tapered-Integrated-Headsets-2
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've had a crown race come with every headset I've ever bought, presumably because it's matched to the lower bearing rather than the fork. In the good old days the actual ball bearings would run on the crown race, so it was quite important that it was the right shape / size.

These days with sealed cartridge bearings I'm guessing it's less critical?

I just fitted a new sink complete with new 40mm drain plumbing, so I'm keeping a length of left over piping for future bike bashing!
  • keef66 wrote:
    I've had a crown race come with every headset I've ever bought, presumably because it's matched to the lower bearing rather than the fork. In the good old days the actual ball bearings would run on the crown race, so it was quite important that it was the right shape / size.

I believe that's the reason.
    You can also get crown races that have a split in them so they just pop on, and being a conical bearing surface it all sits up nice and tight once torqued.
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    I've got the TRP's stated on mine (v2) and can confirm they match the Ultegra 6800 as close and you will get :). and look great.