Long reach brakes for Kinesis Granfondo Ti V3?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
My first foray into proper mudguards and I'm very excited. I have confused myself slightly though.

What's the difference between Shimano R451s and R650s other than the colour and the R650s having cartridge pads?

Do the R650s match the grey of Ultegra 6800 in real life?

Nobody ever mentions on forums using SRAM Apex brakes but these are described as working with 28c tyres and having a drop of 57mm so would they be an option?

Is there any problem with using either of the Shimano brakes with SRAM Rival 22 shifters?

Looks like everyone slams Tektro long reach brakes and lusts after TRP RG957s but is that fair?

On a more tartish note, black or Ultegra grey for a titanium frame (with black carbon fork)........

Comments

• So, what size did you buy??

51 or 54?
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • Just to add to the mix, I put some Velo Orange Grand Cru brakes on mine. They look the part and work well, but are not cheap :D

William
  • londoncommuter,

I did buy a 105 groupset - I wanted silver, so the only place I could find same was Evans @ £330 or thereabouts. Unfortunately though, not in stock, so currently on back order :(

To add to the discussion on long reach brakes I bought a set of Miche Performance 57mm. drop calipers (cheap and cheerful), and if the Miche hubs on my handbuilts are anything to go by, they should be good performance wise.
    However, on fit up, I've found that they are going to be compromised on reach on the rear wheel. The front is fine, but, on the rear, even at the bottom of the caliper, it is so close to the tyre, it's making me a little nervous. I've been "advised" to file the hole, with an appropriately sized round file, on the brake bridge to allow them to move down a few mm.; but that sounds like a bodge to be honest, and is something that should not be required on a brand new frame.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    l I've been "advised" to file the hole, with an appropriately sized round file, on the brake bridge to allow them to move down a few mm.; but that sounds like a bodge to be honest, and is something that should not be required on a brand new frame.

Oh no you haven't. Read the thread again (it wasn't my post)

You were advised to file the holes (slots) in the caliper arms where the brake blocks mount so you can slide them a little further down.

Nobody said anything about taking a file to your new frame :shock:
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315

On a more tartish note, black or Ultegra grey for a titanium frame (with black carbon fork)........

I have Ultegra 6800 with black finishing kit on mine and I think it looks ace. But I would ;)

FullSizeRender.jpg
  • The Shimano R650 is polished alloy - I have them on my Ti frame and they look very smart. They are Ultegra standard and quality and work very well. I assume the R451 is 105-ish, but I have no knowledge of them.
  • keef66
    Horizon wrote:
    The Shimano R650 is polished alloy - I have them on my Ti frame and they look very smart. They are Ultegra standard and quality and work very well. I assume the R451 is 105-ish, but I have no knowledge of them.

The 451s if they are the successor to the 450s I have are Tiagra level. All-in-one moulded brake blocks rather than cartridges. (I just replaced them with 105 cartridge holders / inserts)
  • keef66 wrote:
    Horizon wrote:
    The Shimano R650 is polished alloy - I have them on my Ti frame and they look very smart. They are Ultegra standard and quality and work very well. I assume the R451 is 105-ish, but I have no knowledge of them.

The 451s if they are the successor to the 450s I have are Tiagra level. All-in-one moulded brake blocks rather than cartridges. (I just replaced them with 105 cartridge holders / inserts)

But are they any different (other than as you say, you can just swap out the cartridges)? Would mean black would then be an option and they're cheaper.

From the above then the polished alloy of the R650 don't match with 6800?

What about SRAM Apex, has anyone tried them?

Many thanks
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    keef66 wrote:
    l I've been "advised" to file the hole, with an appropriately sized round file, on the brake bridge to allow them to move down a few mm.; but that sounds like a bodge to be honest, and is something that should not be required on a brand new frame.

You were advised to file the holes (slots) in the caliper arms where the brake blocks mount so you can slide them a little further down.

http://www.bdopcycling.com/BDop%20Offset%20Holders.asp

These work a treat.......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    But are they any different (other than as you say, you can just swap out the cartridges)? Would mean black would then be an option and they're cheaper.

As far as I can tell looking at the exploded views on Shimano tech docs, the differences are down to better pivots, a slightly better cable adjuster, and the cartridges / holders.

My 450s are 9 years old now and beyond swapping in the 5800 cartridges I've never had them apart. Trace of rust on some of the hardware. They are on a winter bike with full guards though; doubt they'd have fared as well being periodically sprayed with salty, gritty water on a bike without guards...
  • keef66 wrote:

Thank you Keef for pointing out the errors of my ways. I shall go back and re-read.
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    I've not been super impressed with the trp's. Using them with stock shimano blocks and 5800 levels. Planning to try swiss stop blocks.
  • I use some Miche ones on my winter bike. Dirt cheap and used with Swiss Stop pads they work really well

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-performan ... 60331202uk
  • chaymck wrote:
    I've not been super impressed with the trp's. Using them with stock shimano blocks and 5800 levels. Planning to try swiss stop blocks.

I "upgraded" to RG957's from Shimano 650's which had worn pivots. I've never looked back with these brakes. I've found them to be more confidence inspiring than my DuraAce 9000 brakes! Stock pads worked well with my alloy rims, but replaced with SwissStop Purple after they wore out. Yes they are expensive, but still look like new after many years and 1000's of miles in the worst conditions. (was originally fitted to a VN Yukon that snapped at the BB, now fitted to a GF TI2).

Are they worth it? Only the purchaser can decide. I personally prefer the less mushy feel they give over the new Shimano designs.
  • So, what size did you buy??

51 or 54?

After trying to confuse you I thought I should do the decent thing and buy a comedy tiny one so went for the 51cm (completely against the advice of Kinesis). We should compare photos in the end to see if either of us made the right call.

IMG_1788.jpg

londoncommuter....
    57 cm. frame - Ultegra chainset on until 105 chainset arrives in correct length.
    Slammed stem - needs steerer tube cut.
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • Love the bar tape for winter use.

I bought the bottle cages first, as they tied in with the frame highlights, then was considering black tape to tie in with the saddle, but it just got a little out of hand.....

Size wise I think it hits the spot. I could have got a 54 but would have had a few spacers and inverted stem (10mm. longer) to lift the bars - and would have had more seat post showing.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    My frame delivery date has been pushed back to 14/10 now. With the shop involved I reckon I'll get it just as summer starts.

Do you mind me asking what size and retailer you are using? I ve got a 57 GF TI V3 on order from a well known Norfolk retailer, and was given the same delivery date. There was mention of a retailer having ordered 2 this size from kinesis but not following through on the order/ so possibility of delivery being earlier.
  • Going back to original question re. long reach brakes - herewith aforementioned Miche brakes on rear of T2 V3...

IMG_1789.jpg

and on the front....

IMG_1790.jpg

The hi vis yellow highlights that inspired the hi-vis cages and bar tape can be seen on the frame...
  • tim_wand
    Bahh!!!! . WIbble hatstand. Grew impatient of waiting until 14/10 and spanked an extra £xxx on the Disc version which is available in my size now. ( Coincidentally London Commuter, now where theres a 51 rim brake version going ).

Issue now is which Disc brake, Thinking spyres with compressionless outers as I ve already got the STI's and cant go to the extra expense of Hydro Sti's ( Yet ). Still thinking Hunts or JRA's for wheelset.
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    pppp
  • tim_wand
    Personally I think , Black calipers look well against the titanium frame, Ones I ve seen are mostly grey ultegra 6800 with black TRPs, but they have also been running with full gaurds , which IMO enhances the black in the calipers, Its more the contrast of Black against the Ultegra gruppo, but There isn't anything out there in 57mm drop which matches,

Was intrested in the post a few up from this that showed the cartridge adapters that converted standard drop brakes to long drop, You could obviously then run 6800 throughout ( my experience of them of a road rim brake is that they are excellent ) Don't know how or if this adaptation effects performance , or looks a bodge.

Hopefully get building my frame up next week. will put some pictures up of work in progress.
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    tim wand wrote:
    Bahh!!!! . WIbble hatstand. Grew impatient of waiting until 14/10 and spanked an extra £xxx on the Disc version which is available in my size now. ( Coincidentally London Commuter, now where theres a 51 rim brake version going ).

Issue now is which Disc brake, Thinking spyres with compressionless outers as I ve already got the STI's and cant go to the extra expense of Hydro Sti's ( Yet ). Still thinking Hunts or JRA's for wheelset.

I've dropped you a pm about some new Spyres and JRA wheels I have going for sale.
  • tim_wand
    I've dropped you a pm about some new Spyres and JRA wheels I have going for sale.

Not received. I ve contacted your through the contact speech bubble under your login, hopefully you can use this to reply.

Thanks Tim
  • tim_wand
    Just because I promised I would, and as a chance to Thank and ( apologise ) To Horizon for miscommunications. Heres the GF TI V3 Disc. ( sorry to go off thread )

Frame Kinesis Grand Fondo TI Disc 57cm
    Fork Kinesis Tracer 1.5 Disc
    Wheelset Kinesis CX Disc Fitted with Schwalbe One 23c tubless ( tyres coming of for 30c Schwalbe S ones )
    23c s being saved for hopefully Carbon Hunt wheelset for summer
    Gruppo Ultegra 6800 mechanical 50/ 34 with 11/ 28 ( Casette and chain 105 )
    Brakes TRP Spyre mechanical 160 mm ( once again thanks Horizon )
    Stem FSA 0S 99 CSI (100MM)
    Seat post Pro Plt
    Bar tape Fizik

rides Superb really glad that I got talked into paying the initial extra for disc version. Will fit Hydraulic brakes and lighter wheelset as time and money allows, but for now other than fitting some 30c tyres and gaurds for Winter its God damn brilliant.

DSC_0024_zps0oysxupy.jpg
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    Glad it all worked out!
  • londoncommuter,
    Where's your build?? Looking forward to the pics.....
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp