Beginners Mileage

Chrisj22
Chrisj22 Posts: 36
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm new to road biking, only done a quick 10 min easy ride the other day testing cleats out etc, unclipping, clipping.

I haven't been on a bike since I was a teen (I'm 33 now), but it's a gorgeous day here, I have some free time, and I was thinking of going on a 7 mile round trip today. 3.5 to location, stop for a bit, then head back.

I think I'd be tired, but if I took it easy is this recommended?

It's not from a 'I'll have a heart attack' point of view, it's more working muscles etc that haven't been worked in years.

Cheers,

Chris

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you take it easy assuming it is flat you should be fine. To begin with it is best to do routes around where you live as then you can easily cut a ride short if you are struggling. Once you get into it you will have no problems.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    When I started cycling more seriously I spent some time mapping out various routes and loops around me, with the shorter ones for starters and longer ones to aim for in the future. It was useful to do the same routes over and over since it gave me an idea of how I was improving, which gave me the impetus to go longer and harder. Before long I was doing the longest routes I had planned and needed to go further. 7 miles on the road should be pretty achievable and will give you a feel for whether you want to go faster or longer in future.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Thanks, guys.

I'll go easy. There's only one hill from memory, but I should be fine if I don't go gung-ho.
  • AllezAllezAllez
    AllezAllezAllez Posts: 207
    edited September 2016
    You'll be fine for 7 miles.

We all start small......six years ago I bought my first road bike and rode 12 miles. I'm now up to a regular 70 mile Sunday Ride and up to 5400 miles this year do far.

Top tip. Look at a few local Cycling Clubs. Many clubs run starter rides and it's a great way to find local routes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Cycling 7 miles is probably like walking a mile or so. If you can't do that....

there's a charity ride round here - about 50 miles. All sorts of normal people do it without training
  • I'm really quite unfit to be honest.

I did 5 miles in the end, legs are a bit heavy afterwards, but I think I pushed it a bit, so I'll back off the pace I reckon.

Slowly slowly, catchy monkey.
  • Keep it going, Chris. Next year you'll be talking stem lengths and recovery shakes
  • Jerry185 wrote:
    Keep it going, Chris. Next year you'll be talking stem lengths and recovery shakes

Thanks, Jerry.

What are stem lengths?

Been reading quite a bit about all that comes with biking, and it's endless!
  • Chrisj22 wrote:
    I'm really quite unfit to be honest.

I did 5 miles in the end, legs are a bit heavy afterwards, but I think I pushed it a bit, so I'll back off the pace I reckon.

3 years ago, I was where you are now. Today I "popped out" intending to be out for about an hour and accidentally did 42½ hilly miles...

I worked on the basis of my target being at least 0.1miles further than last time.
  • Chrisj22 wrote:

There is noting to say you can't do rides as fast as possible, depends on what time you have and how your body can cope.

An hour flat out can be much more exhilarating than 3 hours plodding
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Chrisj22 wrote:

3 years ago, I was where you are now. Today I "popped out" intending to be out for about an hour and accidentally did 42½ hilly miles...

I worked on the basis of my target being at least 0.1miles further than last time.

Thanks man, that gives encouragement.
  • Chrisj22 wrote:

There is noting to say you can't do rides as fast as possible, depends on what time you have and how your body can cope.

An hour flat out can be much more exhilarating than 3 hours plodding

That makes some sense.

I had that beginners thing, where you think you're fitter than you actually are, and then the realisation hits you, ha.

I'll hop on again today and see how I feel.

Got to make use of whilst I have some free time as my life is a million miles an hour normally.
  • Your legs are meant to ache afterwards ! :)

Get out and do double the distance today and they will ache less tomorrow.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Chrisj22 wrote:
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Keep it going, Chris. Next year you'll be talking stem lengths and recovery shakes

Thanks, Jerry.

What are stem lengths?

Been reading quite a bit about all that comes with biking, and it's endless!
    That's the tube from the headset (round bit in front of crossbar) to the handlebars. Come in lengths of 90-135mm, generally, and assist in the reach to the drops where you're arms should be slightly bent.
    Mate, I started this malarkey 18 months ago and thought you just got on on rode your bike. Just finished a tour of North Corsica and still learning. Itching to buy another better bike but know I'm wasting my money until I get the specs I need ( I'm a weird build).
    Read everything, speak to everyone, discard the extreme views and spend wisely. You'll be on the bike for a long time eventually
  • vysie
    vysie Posts: 34
    Mate I'm in the same boat as you, 3 or 4 weeks ago I was doing nothing I'm what is called in today's world as a Daddy shape!!!! My kids always come before me so my time was limited. After talking to lads at work who ride I made the decision to commute got the bike shoes cleats and 1st night set out to work 5 miles felt dead on my feet. Started eating better and didn't give up, this week I'm now on 71 miles since Monday not much by most or my pal who did 70 miles in 4 hrs yesterday ffs........ but me I'm made up now I can ride to work feeling great my speeds improved recovery time feels less and most days I go for another ride before bed, I work nights so go after traffic calms down,
    Don't aim for loads just keep adding and improving
    Be safe
  • Some good posts there guys :)

I did another 5 miles earlier, a different route, but the difference compared to yesterday was unreal. Legs slightly heavy now, but they've been out of action for a while.

I also fell off about 1 minute from my house :) A car couldn't make it's mind up when I was at a junction, couldn't get out my cleats in time, and boom! on my bum! ha
  • vysie
    I'm dreading that moment tbh I no it will happen at so point I've finished up today on 82.2 miles for the week are you tracking yourself via app?
  • Vysie wrote:
    I'm dreading that moment tbh I no it will happen at so point I've finished up today on 82.2 miles for the week are you tracking yourself via app?

No mate, got an app to plan a route, but I'm not tracking anything just yet.

Plus, I don't have any pockets in my cycling gear so leave my phone at home. Not the wisest idea if I fall off and break my face :oops:

You using Strava to track your miles for the week?
  • vysie
    Chrisj22 wrote:
    Vysie wrote:

No mate, got an app to plan a route, but I'm not tracking anything just yet.

Plus, I don't have any pockets in my cycling gear so leave my phone at home. Not the wisest idea if I fall off and break my face :oops:

You using Strava to track your miles for the week?

Yes pal I've got a garmin edge 25 now so put phone in my jersey and use the garmin then when I'm home it syncs itself to garmin connect and strava nice to see how and where I'm improving and where I need to improve
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Within reason - cycle for fun - if you get tired head home.

But go out prepared, take some cash, some snacks, and most importantly plenty of fluids - be walloping that water down at least every 30 minutes.

As we are heading into autumn - just keep pedalling, I really wouldn't to much about speed and distance - as next march april, may comes up the mileage .....

Good luck and keep us posted....
  • Start logging your rides on Strava straight away m8.
    Even if they are small, its great to look back to the start to see where you come from in a years time
  • figbat
    deejaysee wrote:
    Start logging your rides on Strava straight away m8.
    Even if they are small, its great to look back to the start to see where you come from in a years time

This.

I started on my MTB about 2 years ago and was doing 3-4 miles a night. I am now disappointed if I don't do 20 miles in a ride and I go looking for climbs. My Strava segment times have fallen considerably; at first I was happy to be above the bottom 25%, now I get disappointed if I'm not top 25% (and have picked up a couple of all-time trophies in the top 10), which spurs me to get back out and try again, harder. I now fly up climbs that I used to dread.

This same approach is now being deployed in my newly-started road riding, although I am starting from a reasonable base I am still using Strava to track my times and those of friends and colleagues who ride the same routes.
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • figbat
    Oh, and there's no need for any fancy phone mounts or anything - I used to put my phone in a small ziplock back (freezer bag kind of thing), start the Strava ride then pocket it until I have finished. The bag keeps it dry (from weather and sweat) and you can use the screen through the plastic. A 2.5 hour ride takes about 20% out of the battery (iPhone 5c).

It was the combination of tracking my rides on Strava and tracking my calories on MyFitnessPal that lost me 18 kg in 6 months.
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    figbat wrote:
    deejaysee wrote:
    Start logging your rides on Strava straight away m8.

This.

I started on my MTB about 2 years ago and was doing 3-4 miles a night. I am now disappointed if I don't do 20 miles in a ride and I go looking for climbs. My Strava segment times have fallen considerably; at first I was happy to be above the bottom 25%, now I get disappointed if I'm not top 25% (and have picked up a couple of all-time trophies in the top 10), which spurs me to get back out and try again, harder. I now fly up climbs that I used to dread.

This same approach is now being deployed in my newly-started road riding, although I am starting from a reasonable base I am still using Strava to track my times and those of friends and colleagues who ride the same routes.

It will be interesting to see how you measure up on the road segments. I can make top third on climbs but on flat stuff I'm usually in the second half or worse.
  • figbat
    I seem to do better on the descents :D.
  • figbat wrote:
    Oh, and there's no need for any fancy phone mounts or anything - I used to put my phone in a small ziplock back (freezer bag kind of thing), start the Strava ride then pocket it until I have finished. The bag keeps it dry (from weather and sweat) and you can use the screen through the plastic. A 2.5 hour ride takes about 20% out of the battery (iPhone 5c).

It was the combination of tracking my rides on Strava and tracking my calories on MyFitnessPal that lost me 18 kg in 6 months.

That's really helpful, thanks.

I've been using MFP for 6 weeks now, down 13lb, but done in a healthy way, not a quick loss which goes back on if you have a cheat meal.

I'll DL Strava then. Gear I wear doesn't have pockets, I'll have to shove it down my cockle area for now :oops:

Ordered a cycling jacket that has pockets anyway so that will be golden!
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    Phone is fine, however why not invest in something like this?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/gadgets/gps-devices/product/bryton-rider-310-review-50686/

It's more suited for the bike and gives you more data to look at when riding. You could always upload the data to Strava if you want to after your ride.
  • Chris, 13lbs is brilliant. Get Strava and watch more fall off
  • I attempted Strava the other day, had to put my phone down my nether regions as I am pocketless, but it didn't record my ride sadly :(

I have a jacket on order which has pockets so that should help.

So my fourth ride and I did 15 miles this evening. My legs are shattered.

My neck and knees really hurt when I'm riding, any tips?
  • vysie
    I'm new as I've said but chances are your bike ain't fitting you right, saddle cleats could all be wrong there's plenty of vids on that site,
    But maybe you just over did it take it slow it will happen but you do need time to build muscle up and don't forget to rest to and don't over do it, as for strava it happens lol just press record then press start and away you go