Blokes and sexism

2»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    I clicked on the link and found this statement that only refers to sexism encountered by women:
    "By sharing your story you’re showing the world that sexism does exist, it is faced by women everyday and it is a valid problem to discuss."

Isn't that a bit sexist?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I clicked on the link and found this statement that only refers to sexism encountered by women:
    "By sharing your story you’re showing the world that sexism does exist, it is faced by women everyday and it is a valid problem to discuss."

Isn't that a bit sexist?

:roll:

In the same way it was racist to have whites & blacks only bars in the US pre apartheid? :roll:

So sexism against women is widely established as a big societal problem. And that website addresses it. If you don't think that is, let's hear why.

If we take a broader view, any type of discrimination usually boils down to two sides - one that loses out against another. Sometimes, that discrimination isn't always noticed, so In order to highlight those issues, you'll unsurprisingly get a bunch of examples from that sid.. That's just how it works.

So if you're being a pedant, yes it is. But to focus on that, is to miss the point.

Which presumably is what you're after. After all, you've got record for objectifying women on this very forum.
  • rick_chasey
    Let's check out some of Stevo's more sexist posts.

A couple of classic Stevo.

viewtopic.php?f=10007&t=13015079&p=19429376#p19429376
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Was a nork-endowed potential minion. Unfortunately totally unsuited for the job :(
    So?
    Good point. But I would have to hire another minion to give her enough training.

with norks?
    I should be consistent I suppose. Although other factors need to be considered when deciding on who to employ, such as whether she has a nice ar$e.

viewtopic.php?f=10007&t=12803953&p=17232490
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I was never really that bothered about Kirsten Dunst until I saw that and realised what a cracking pair of norks she's got :P
  • Stevo_666
    Have you been looking for things to be offended by Rick? Or was it already bookmarked? :wink:

You never really 'got' the Bottom Bracket did you.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Nah, I didn't. It is a compromise to sexists.

It originally got created because too many people found the casual sexism offensive. I was of the opinion that they should just be removed. Consensus at the time was there are too many of them and they'll cause more trouble than it's worth, so parking it away somewhere lets it fester without more grief, away from the rest of the forum, was preferable.

I don't get offended myself - it's quite difficult to since i'm a bloke. But I know a sexist and a mysoginst when I see or read one, and while i'm not gonna single handedly change the world - the world would be a better place if more men called other men out on it.

So that's what I intend to do.
  • Stevo_666

It originally got created because too many people found the casual sexism offensive. I was of the opinion that they should just be removed. Consensus at the time was there are too many of them and they'll cause more trouble than it's worth, so parking it away somewhere lets it fester without more grief, away from the rest of the forum, was preferable.

I don't get offended myself - it's quite difficult to since i'm a bloke. But I know a sexist and a mysoginst when I see or read one, and while i'm not gonna single handedly change the world - the world would be a better place if more men called other men out on it.

Knock yourself out pal. But grow a sense of humour first.
  • FFS... That's about all I can muster these days.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    "Jo Brand: Where's your girlfriend? Outside grazing, I presume..."
    Funny? Sexist? Ironic? Why worry?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I clicked Rick's link. Yes sexism exists but the stuff posted there shows that people have a varied view of what constitures sexism. Some of the posters had suffered rape and still referred to the event as sexism instead of a crime.
    At the other end of the spectrum, possibly where Rick sits, a girl was complaining that her friend had been refused permission to take her wet skirt off in class in case it upset her male teacher.
    Or advertising for pasties in a predominantly male environment as being for hungry men.
    How outrageous!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Sexism: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

So I'm a hetrosexual bloke, which means I fancy women (especially if they have nice norks & ar$e) not men. Am I sexist?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ballysmate
    drlodge wrote:
    Sexism: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

So I'm a hetrosexual bloke, which means I fancy women (especially if they have nice norks & ar$e) not men. Am I sexist?

You sound like you have lesbian tendencies.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    drlodge wrote:

if you prejudge or sterotype them because of their sex then yes ...... however you ARE discriminating against men by saying you only fancy women, so in this respect its sexism

you should decide you don't fancy men of their individual qualities, not just because they are a man :|
  • rick_chasey
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I clicked Rick's link. Yes sexism exists

So what do you intend to do about it?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Why don't you explain the jokes, to those without a humour.

Explain why it's funny to laugh about only hiring women for their breasts or bum?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Explain why it's funny to laugh about only hiring women for their breasts or bum?
    I thought Stevo was only joking about hiring women for their breasts or bottoms!? Was that not the joke? Well then I'm shocked! :shock:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Pross wrote:
    Having previously worked in a small company where about 20% of the staff were female I certainly came across the opinion expressed quite often by colleagues (not management) that they wouldn't employ female staff if they had their own small business as we seemed to regularly have one or more team member off on maternity leave while everyone else was left covering their workload (in a couple of cases they were off for 12 months and then after a couple of months back in work announced they were pregnant again and one of those then resigned before coming back the second time). Whilst this is view is clearly sexist and if put into practice would be illegal I can understand the frustration.

I think that genuinely does happen though, so long as nobody writes it down they just pretend they liked the young male candidate more and get on with it. My gf is currently job hunting and has been since May (pretty sure she's 23) she has 1 years experience (maternity cover for someone else), a masters and has applied to hundreds of jobs in her field. Shes got through to a lot of interviews and come out thinking they were great but to no avail. I'm sure this isn't because they are all sexist pigs but it could well play a part. All they needed to do was ring me and I'd tell them how likely we are to be having children anytime soon... :wink:

I'm starting to wish they'd just employ her to look at her norks, I mean, that's mostly all I do and at least this way we'd have more money
  • You dirty little pimp you.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

:roll:

Why don't you come back when you've acquired a bit of life experience and learned the difference between internet banter and real life. Until then, jog on.

Out of interest, maybe you can tell us why you waited over a year to 'call me out' on those posts which date back quite a while. Given how big an issue it seems to be for you, why didn't you do it at the time? Were you waiting for a reason, or just busy growing a spine :wink:
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I clicked Rick's link. Yes sexism exists

So what do you intend to do about it?

Well Rick, I could do what people do in the real world. That is, challenge unacceptable behaviour when and where it is encountered.
    Or I could be a humourless tw@t and claim to find offence where there is none
    I am happy with my choice. I'm sure you're happy with yours.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Or I could be a humourless tw@t and claim to find offence where there is none
    For some inexplicable reason, whenever Rick pops up to give us his little moral lectures a certain Viz character pops into my head :)

BvqiXehIQAA-SHd.jpg