European Championships

2»

Comments

• RichN95 wrote:
    Is it fair to say that 51.8% of British Riders would rather wear the National jersey than the European one?
    Only because they've been promised £350m a week to spend on TUEs

:lol::lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Pleased for the win but looks like I need to buy another Sagan replica jersey now !! Doesn't he realise all this winning stuff is costing me a fortune
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621
    No outing for the Euro jersey then, but his brother is wearing the Slovakian one
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    TheBigBean wrote:
    No outing for the Euro jersey then, but his brother is wearing the Slovakian one

you must be breathing a sigh of relief...
  • TheBigBean
    dish_dash wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

you must be breathing a sigh of relief...

In an ideal world P Sagan would have the Slovakian one, but I'm not sure that his brother rides many big races so it is ok.
  • TheBigBean
    Just reading about it now, J Sagan didn't even win the race for the Slovak national championship, he was the best placed Slovak in the Czech/Slovak race.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Just reading about it now, J Sagan didn't even win the race for the Slovak national championship, he was the best placed Slovak in the Czech/Slovak race.

Ha ha... they always do that, not sure why. Guess it saves on costs and they did used to be one country. Stybar/Sagan race generally...
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    It is a bit of an anomaly - 2 teammates (or now ex-teammates) like Kreuziger and Sagan could work together to smash the race, with both knowing they get the 'win' and respective national title at the end, regardless of who crosses the line first.
    Or even 2 non-teammates (1 from each nation) could do the same, so the dynamic is different to a normal champs race.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I remember when Sagan was going through his (now long forgotten) fallow period during which he kept racking up 2nd places without any wins, it turned out he'd even finished second to Stybar in the national champs, but was the first Slovak over the line so got the jersey.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    It is a bit of an anomaly - 2 teammates (or now ex-teammates) like Kreuziger and Sagan could work together to smash the race, with both knowing they get the 'win' and respective national title at the end, regardless of who crosses the line first.
    Or even 2 non-teammates (1 from each nation) could do the same, so the dynamic is different to a normal champs race.

Kreuziger's only ridden his national road championships three times in his career, winning it this year for the first time. So that theory doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.
  • TheBigBean
    andyp wrote:

Kreuziger's only ridden his national road championships three times in his career, winning it this year for the first time. So that theory doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

I think Kreuziger was an example, any two riders of different nationalities would work together as they are in different races.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Im actually thinking of going to the Czech \ Slovak champs next year. I saw the end of the race last year on a web stream, it was a very small field indeed. Think P Sagan was forth in the end just behind the two winners.

It can be a strange end of whoever crosses the line second or third can still be the winner which looks a bit odd.