Crud Roadracer Mk3

sanners
sanners Posts: 3
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi, my first post..

Has anyone got any experience with these yet? I have the mk2 on my Cannondale synapse and I wonder if theres are better on the front wheel in the terms of rubbing/clearance? I'm running 25mm tires.

http://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk3/

Thanks

Comments

• No experience of them but the rear could be doing with an extension for bunch riding! I'll stick with my MK2's for now although it would be great to get more clearance...
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I also have the MK2's on my winter bike. This will be their third winter on the bike and theyre still in perfect condition and do the job theyre supposed to, I would however love to fit 25mm tyres on my winter bike but as everyone knows, 23s are the max the MK2's allow for so these might be an option. They look very simple to fit (much easier than the MK2's) I think I may just have to invest in a set!!
  • Got a set of MK2s running just fine over 25mm GP 4 Seasons on my Allez Elite, so it can be done...
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Got a set of MK2s running just fine over 25mm GP 4 Seasons on my Allez Elite, so it can be done...

I had a set of Schwalbe Luganos (23mm) which rubbed like crazy and drove me demented everytime I used the bike. I tried in vain to adjust them to get them sitting higher but due to the unbelievably tight clearance on my Ridley Compact I couldn't sort it. I eventually changed to Pro4 SC's (23mm also) and they have been perfect with no rubbing. I wouldn't waste my time even trying 25s with them.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The other option that is widely used is the SKS Raceblade Long XL, now in mk2 (although, confusingly, it is the third iteration of the product). They work really well and have a number of fans, including me. Work great with 25mm, even those run on wide rims.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    The other option that is widely used is the SKS Raceblade Long XL, now in mk2 (although, confusingly, it is the third iteration of the product). They work really well and have a number of fans, including me. Work great with 25mm, even those run on wide rims.

Have you tried getting them off the clips yet?
    You may alter your opinion when you do, as the design imo is still flawed.... the clips are there so you can remove easily... ha! what a laff.
    Hence I spent an undu amount on PDWs - sadly only 23mm , but rock solid and absolute full coverage including under the caliper .
    They even survived one idiot falling over the back of my bike with his clodd hoppin size 14 boots at the ToB , the eejut.
    Still wibbly wobbly Cruds remain the worst mudguard to be behind.. probably worse than no mudguards
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yeah, I did rant a bit for the first month with the XLs (and posted to that effect) but have found that there is a knack in terms of the way to apply pressure with the thumbs and they do ease up a bit with use as well. It does mean that I only fit/remove them every now and then but I would still rate them, certainly better than anything else I have used.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I suspect these will be what's going on my Roubaix for the winter.
  • Just fitted mine, the rear is better but the front has a lot less clearance, now running mk2 front and mk3 rear. Just to confirm my mk2's were set up fine with gp4000s 25mms
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,581
    I've always been under the impression that they're aimed at bikes with minimal clearance. Unfortunately my experience with them on a bike with minimal clearance is pretty poor. The mk3 is far more rigid, however the Velcro attachment means there's no adjustment, so they just rub.

If you have lots of clearance get something else. If you have minimal clearance get the sks race blade long
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I've put them on my Pinarello FP and that's got very little clearance (I can't even run 25mm tyres on the rear or it rubs the frame) but I did have to cut scallops in the front one to clear the fork legs and had to trim the length of the rear one to stop short of the chain stays but I had to do that on the MK2 too. Now they're fitted they're absolutely fine. I agree the rear could do with being longer at the back if anyone is going to follow you.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    I was on a group ride today with a number of people with a set of Mk3s. And I got back caked in crap. They really offer very little protection for riders behind -its only marginally better than an Ass Saver.
    I'm not sure you could extend them, as whilst the fixing looks strong, by the time you added a couple of screws and another 6 inches of plastic it would be quite unbalanced and I'd be concerned about the plastic bending.
    Also they have no protection at all for your drivetrain, which was one of the major benefits of the Mk2s over other "minimal clearance" guards (well, at least for the 10 minutes of use you get out of them before they break!)
    So if Crud can combine the coverage of the Mk2s with the strength and simple fixing of the Mk3s, then the Mk4s will be an absolute winner.
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    I have some fitted to my Focus Cayo Disc with 25mm Schwalbe Duranos. No rubbing at all. Also the drive train is protected as the seat tube attachment is exactly the same as the MK2. I agree that the back guard is a bit short. I like them !
  • Just stuck some on a Spesh Roubaix disc, and they seem to be fine...on the whole. The clearance is fine, but they do have a slight bias to one side, meaning a tiny bit of rub, but nothing noticeable whilst riding. Yes, the back end could be longer, but I rarely ride accompanied, so not a problem. The small section that protrudes from the front could be a bit bigger as well, but it's an improvement on the new Raceblades I had there, which didn't have anything at the front (and meant water would be kicked up over the front of the bike - and me!).
    I remember trying the Mk1 versions years ago, and these are a vast improvement. They are around £31 from Merlin.
  • Or about £26 from Planet X with their 25% off discount code at the moment.
  • I tried to put the mk3 on my synapse carbon 2015 with rim brakes. There was no way in hell they were fitting in the front without rubbing like mad. I've reverted back to my mk2 and can I get 25mm tyres on with minimal rubbing (bareable).

I'm probably getting a disc brake bike soon and i'll use my mk3's for that. Just make sure it has 5mm clearance between the fork and the tyre.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I was looking at these but the chainstays on my bike ar so with a 25mm tyre barely goes through, had the Mk2s when I got my new framset I was a little peeved.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I had the MK2 version and they were truly Crud! Wouldn't have them near a bike again. The SKS are a much better job - unless the MK3 has been radically re-engineered. That would be some transformation though!!

Peter
  • I've had the Mk2 for a couple of years. However, a few too many trips in the back of the car with the front wheel off and a hamfisted daughter mean that the guards have got twisted beyond all use.
    I was thinking of getting the Mk3s as replacements. But on a club run a couple of weeks back, a few people had them. They probably stop the rider with them getting as mucky, but they do nothing for the spray behind - they're far shorter than the Mk2.
    In the end I've gone for Raceblade Pro XLs. The fitment is much sturdier than the cruds. The guards themselves feel much more solid. Whilst the rear doesn't extend as far as the Mk2 roadracer, its a fair bit longer than the Mk3. The downside of the raceblades is that there's nothing between the wheel and the front mech. I've left the front half of the cruds attached there, cable-tied onto the brake bridge.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!
  • Guanajuato wrote:
    I've had the Mk2 for a couple of years. However, a few too many trips in the back of the car with the front wheel off and a hamfisted daughter mean that the guards have got twisted beyond all use.
    I was thinking of getting the Mk3s as replacements. But on a club run a couple of weeks back, a few people had them. They probably stop the rider with them getting as mucky, but they do nothing for the spray behind - they're far shorter than the Mk2.
    In the end I've gone for Raceblade Pro XLs. The fitment is much sturdier than the cruds. The guards themselves feel much more solid. Whilst the rear doesn't extend as far as the Mk2 roadracer, its a fair bit longer than the Mk3. The downside of the raceblades is that there's nothing between the wheel and the front mech. I've left the front half of the cruds attached there, cable-tied onto the brake bridge.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Ironically it was the Raceblade Pro XL's that I replaced with the Crud Mk3, mainly because of the fact there was no protection from the spray from the front wheel coming up into my face, but yes, the rear cover is only good for the rider that's using them!
    Fortunately I have no friends, so not a problem for me. If having no friends can be ever seen as fortunate! :shock:
  • hnefi
    hnefi Posts: 15
    How are you all finding the so-called "Duotec Fixing System" on the MK3s??

I bought some with high expectations and although I like the convenience of being able to take them off and re-mount, I can't get these things to stick onto the seat stays! Cleaned the stays beforehand with isopropyl, dried it, waited 30m, and my first ride in the rain they rattled right off and almost sent me off the bike on a descent. Front fork seems to have stuck better, but I removed the guards today because the weather is looking nice for the next week or so, and one of the two adhesive strips came halfway off (which means next time it comes all the way off).

Seems like a cheap way to sell more strips to me, but at least Crud offers free international shipping.
  • Hnefi wrote:

I bought some with high expectations and although I like the convenience of being able to take them off and re-mount, I can't get these things to stick onto the seat stays! Cleaned the stays beforehand with isopropyl, dried it, waited 30m, and my first ride in the rain they rattled right off and almost sent me off the bike on a descent. Front fork seems to have stuck better, but I removed the guards today because the weather is looking nice for the next week or so, and one of the two adhesive strips came halfway off (which means next time it comes all the way off).

Seems like a cheap way to sell more strips to me, but at least Crud offers free international shipping.

Yeah, when I tried to adjust the front guards, the stickiness of the fastenings left a little to be desired - one started to peel off so I think I might be getting some spares for the future. £2.50 though, not really gonna break the bank!
  • Hnefi wrote:

Yeah, when I tried to adjust the front guards, the stickiness of the fastenings left a little to be desired - one started to peel off so I think I might be getting some spares for the future. £2.50 though, not really gonna break the bank!
    That would explain why all the people using them on the club run had the rears taped on with insulation tape as well.
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    No problem getting them to stick to my frame / forks
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I bought a pair a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a chance to try them until this morning. Decent job of stopping the road spray from hitting me but took the smaller section of the rear guard off half way as it was rubbing like mad. Front rattled a fair bit with rubbing from the short nose section but it did its job. This afternoon I've trimmed the rear guard to hopefully make it fit better and I've trimmed the nose piece off the front along with trimming the edges that pass under the brake calliper. Let's see if that does the trick. So far, all a bit "meh"

The bike is a defy 0 by the way.
  • PK1 wrote:

To be fair to the product, I have a Spesh Roubaix with the 'zertz' on the forks and seatstays, so they won't allow for a completely smooth attachment, which may be the problem. Don't get me wrong, the 'guards are fine and this slight issue has not impacted one bit on the performance, I'd still recommend them.
  • hnefi
    hnefi Posts: 15
    PK1 wrote:

To be fair to the product, I have a Spesh Roubaix with the 'zertz' on the forks and seatstays, so they won't allow for a completely smooth attachment, which may be the problem. Don't get me wrong, the 'guards are fine and this slight issue has not impacted one bit on the performance, I'd still recommend them.
    I think maybe that's my problem too, because I also had issue sticking the attachments right near the Zertz. Potentially I need to get the replacements stuck higher up where there's no plastic Zertz overlapping the seat stays.
  • Mr CRUD here.

I have heard from Zertz-equipped owners, who have assured me that if you clean the Zertz area thoroughly with the alc. wipe provided (or brake cleaner) the Duotec will stick perfectly in the correct place.

They use Duotec to stick advertising panels to the sides of trucks. The important thing is to get your frame thoroughly clean first. Alc. wipe, brake cleaner etc.

PM me if you have any issues

Cheers
    Pete T
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Second time out this morning and all was perfect. Trimming definitely helped although I do wonder how much I'll regret trimming the nose off the front when it gets really wet. No rattles or rubbing, very happy so far!
  • I've got these on a Boardman. I've got the rear guard fitted fine with no rubbing but am having a problem at the front. Basically, as the wheel rotates the spokes are hitting the removal tabs on the guards. I've tried with two sets of wheels (standard aksiums and Fulcrum Racing 3's) but it's the same with both. Has anyone else had this issue or am i missing something obvious?