Tour of Britain 2016 Stage 3 *Spoilers"

13»

Comments

• C&F is shut, has been for some time,

Why? Thats a national disaster... it was a popular pub, if a bit rough at the edges

Former landlord sat outside on an office chair drinking cans of Boddingtons. Sums it up really.

A pub, that needs a good injection of TLC, and maybe it could be reborn.

Can't beat the location and the "second highest pub in Britain" promo...
    left the forum March 2023
  • RichN95 wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    11295658_978165355557752_3136553302121115133_n-630x472.jpg
    Have they got a dart board?

Yep.

tumblr_nj97odCQri1un5qtso1_400.png
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Stannard is capable of some fabulous performances - he's a monster. I'd love to know his power figures for today. I'm not sure he's getting full credit here (and I'm the first appreciate a good inflatable gag).
    I haven't seen the stage yet, but I doubt House and Briggs were pootling about behind; but for Stannard to put best part of 2 mins into 2 strong and seasoned pros (going through and off, I assume) with a 40km attack... Amazing. Seems a bit glib to just say "well, he's World Tour rider, what do you expect...?"

I can't shake the memory of him at the Smithfield Nocturne in 2012: all the best domestic pro's were there (along with Matt Goss - remember him? and a couple of other Orica guys). Stannard beasted the field with (again) House and a Swede in tow before breaking them, lapping the field and cruising to victory. It was like watching something otherworldly - like a big bloke out doing some intervals whilst everyone else had a race... The dudes he made look lightweight were serious athletes.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Impressive win from Stannard but, once the peloton stopped chasing, you'd expect him to outclass House & Briggs. I expected more of a chase or some kind of action from the bunch, definitely a better stage to watch from the roadside rather than the telly.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Some new faces at the top of the Strava leaderboard for Brickworks and Cat & Fiddle... As near as half my time up Brickies...
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Some new faces at the top of the Strava leaderboard for Brickworks and Cat & Fiddle... As near as half my time up Brickies...
    Yeah, they smashed my time through Tatton :(
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

A strange one... I timed myself with a stopwatch many times and in the HC version I did about 26 minutes something, that puts me in the top 5% hypothetically on Strava... that is bizarre, as I am normally around the top 25% in most other climbs... something is not quite right :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I can't shake the memory of him at the Smithfield Nocturne in 2012: all the best domestic pro's were there (along with Matt Goss - remember him? and a couple of other Orica guys).

Yep, Luke's brother, Bros were great.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Stannard has uploaded his ride to Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/702669518
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

A strange one... I timed myself with a stopwatch many times and in the HC version I did about 26 minutes something, that puts me in the top 5% hypothetically on Strava... that is bizarre, as I am normally around the top 25% in most other climbs... something is not quite right :roll:

If it's cat and fiddle I think there's a couple of things there - first it's quite a famous one so a lot of nodders do it, which bulks out the leader board, and second it has that flat/descent in the middle which I think a lot of people take slowly as recovery or to wait for people.
  • bobmcstuff
    Where's today's spoiler?? Assume nothing happened...