Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Yorkshire goes large

kleinstrokerkleinstroker Posts: 2,130
edited September 2016 in Pro race
Great to hear news that Yorkshires bid to host the 2019 World Road Race Champs have received plenty of support from world tour teams.

Go Yorkshire.. Tha knows

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/gary-verity-top-teams-want-2019-world-championships-come-yorkshire-280339
«1

Posts

  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 5,608
    Good for them, plenty of decent terrain so let's hope they use it.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • Would that be our first worlds since the early 80's ? on the road I mean.
  • JSCLJSCL Posts: 1,259
    Why we need to always hold our world class bike events in Yorkshire is just a bit daft.

    But nonetheless, great to see us finally getting a decent bid in to host the world's, even if it is 3 years away.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,725
    Great news. Look forward to it.

    JSCL - it's god's own county... regardless of what Lancashire may think ;)
  • yorkshirerawyorkshireraw Posts: 1,055
    JSCL wrote:
    Why we need to always hold our world class bike events in Yorkshire is just a bit daft.

    But nonetheless, great to see us finally getting a decent bid in to host the world's, even if it is 3 years away.

    Your question needs re-addressing as 'why don't other regions see the success Yorkshire has had with the TDF & TdY and put a team together to make a bid?'.

    As it is, The Tour of Britain tends not to go to Yorkshire, and that's a World Class event now, Ride London 'Classic' - also obviously not in Yorkshire, although you could debate the status and the organisation of that one.
  • JSCL wrote:
    Why we need to always hold our world class bike events in Yorkshire is just a bit daft.

    Perhaps London should have bid to host a world class event like next year's Grand Depart. Oh.
    and then the next thing you know
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,914
    JSCL wrote:
    Why we need to always hold our world class bike events in Yorkshire is just a bit daft.
    We don't. But until other regions come up with someone with the zeal of Gary Verity, Yorkshire will continue to lead the way.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kleinstrokerkleinstroker Posts: 2,130
    RichN95 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    Why we need to always hold our world class bike events in Yorkshire is just a bit daft.
    We don't. But until other regions come up with someone with the zeal of Gary Verity, Yorkshire will continue to lead the way.

    I think that's just about right. It's not as if Yorkshire is special*, Lancashire, Northumberland etc could easily run similar events given their wide ranging terrain.







    *not actually true - "Yorkshire is the greatest county in England"
    God
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,959
    JSCL wrote:
    Why we need to always hold our world class bike events in Yorkshire is just a bit daft.

    But nonetheless, great to see us finally getting a decent bid in to host the world's, even if it is 3 years away.

    Look on it as being a pleasant change for us here to have some decent cycling events at last when the ToB has been pointedly bypassing Yorkshire for years.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,038
    Yeah, right enough, like they haven't even had the Tour for a whole two years now...
  • philwintphilwint Posts: 763
    joking aside (as an adopted Yorkshireman) where we have the edge over a lot of places is the juxtaposition of major transport routes, big cities & infrastructure, with lots of great countryside and most importantly hills.

    To be fair the same can be said of the manchester area.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 5,608
    Yorkshire has the size and population so presumably whatever budgets these bids come out of are bigger than the budgets the of the other hilly areas which are great for cycling - the likes of Derbyshire, Cumbria etc . Then as Rich noted Gary Verity has been a great driver of all this - the right person in the right place. Whatever so long as it's not another race in Surrey finishing in London I'm OK with it.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • "Yorkshire is the greatest county in England" - God

    This.
    My Men 2020 - Mark Cavendish, Ben Swift, Fernando Gaviria, Alejandro Valverde, Edvald Boassen Hagen, Zdenek Stybar, Vincenzo Nibali, Geraint Thomas.
  • hypsterhypster Posts: 1,188
    "Yorkshire is the greatest county in England" - God

    This.

    Strange that there is no county of Yorkshire then.
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,725
    hypster wrote:
    "Yorkshire is the greatest county in England" - God

    This.

    Strange that there is no county of Yorkshire then.

    Regardless of modern political divisions I think you'll find that the historic county of Yorkshire firmly existed and still exists in may people's hearts and minds...
  • JSCLJSCL Posts: 1,259
    Haha guys, I was fully expecting to open up the assault of the Yorkshiremen :) I'm OK with it.

    I think you owe a lot for this bid not from WTY/Gary but Jonny Clay at BC who is also a Yorkshireman. He has been the real spearhead behind this bid and has been for several years. So you can take your pitchforks home and thank BC for once!

    I'm happy for it to be in Yorkshire, don't worry. It can be anywhere as far as I'm concerned, it's just great that we have secured the funding to host it (you can thanks Mrs May for that).
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • hypster wrote:
    "Yorkshire is the greatest county in England" - God

    This.

    Strange that there is no county of Yorkshire then.

    Or God.
  • TashmanTashman Posts: 2,736
    hypster wrote:
    "Yorkshire is the greatest county in England" - God

    This.

    Strange that there is no county of Yorkshire then.

    Or God.
    :lol: :twisted:
  • hypsterhypster Posts: 1,188
    dish_dash wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    "Yorkshire is the greatest county in England" - God

    This.

    Strange that there is no county of Yorkshire then.

    Regardless of modern political divisions I think you'll find that the historic county of Yorkshire firmly existed and still exists in may people's hearts and minds...

    As does Narnia... :)
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,286
    hypster wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    "Yorkshire is the greatest county in England" - God

    This.

    Strange that there is no county of Yorkshire then.

    Regardless of modern political divisions I think you'll find that the historic county of Yorkshire firmly existed and still exists in may people's hearts and minds...

    As does Narnia... :)

    Now that I would pay to see. A time trial in which riders are launched at 2 minute intervals out of a double wardrobe into the snow :D
  • keef66 wrote:
    hypster wrote:

    As does Narnia... :)

    Now that I would pay to see. A time trial in which riders are launched at 2 minute intervals out of a double wardrobe into the snow :D

    ...while munching on Turkish Delight gels
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • salsiccia1salsiccia1 Posts: 3,264
    chrisday wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    hypster wrote:

    As does Narnia... :)

    Now that I would pay to see. A time trial in which riders are launched at 2 minute intervals out of a double wardrobe into the snow :D

    ...while munching on Turkish Delight gels

    Got any kebabs?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Just thinking about what the circuit might be like if they do win. I'm assuming the UCI like to rotate the kind of terrain the world uses and Innsbruck the year before is likely to be a climbers circuit. Bergen I wasn't sure but looking at the profile it's certainly not flat - nothing too severe but there is something called Mount Ulriken on it which is meant to provide a panorama over the city so I'm assuming that isn't one for big sprinters either.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 8,084
    I would think it was impossible to make a flat route in Bergen, the town is surrounded by mountains... (really nice place btw, the company I work for is headquartered there).

    The side opposite the harbour is really steep up through the houses and I was thinking it would be good to ride up. Doesn't look like it's in the route though.
  • RideOnTimeRideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    JSCL wrote:
    Why we need to always hold our world class bike events in Yorkshire is just a bit daft.

    But nonetheless, great to see us finally getting a decent bid in to host the world's, even if it is 3 years away.


    Yes, indeed, I drink Yorkshire Tea Nowadays...
    Grown in Harrogate :shock:
  • JSCLJSCL Posts: 1,259
    RideOnTime wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    Why we need to always hold our world class bike events in Yorkshire is just a bit daft.

    But nonetheless, great to see us finally getting a decent bid in to host the world's, even if it is 3 years away.


    Yes, indeed, I drink Yorkshire Tea Nowadays...
    Grown in Harrogate :shock:

    Can't beat Yorkshire Tea! When someone tries to give you Tetley... you make sure you put them in their place please.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RideOnTimeRideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    JSCL wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    Why we need to always hold our world class bike events in Yorkshire is just a bit daft.

    But nonetheless, great to see us finally getting a decent bid in to host the world's, even if it is 3 years away.


    Yes, indeed, I drink Yorkshire Tea Nowadays...
    Grown in Harrogate :shock:

    Can't beat Yorkshire Tea! When someone tries to give you Tetley... you make sure you put them in their place please.

    Have you doubled ironic... I'm not sure. :?
  • thegibdogthegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Hoping that this could pave the way for a spring classic being held in this country at some point in the future. Would happily trade the Tour of Britain, Tour de Yorkshire, grand tour starts and that London 'Classic' thing for a proper one day race.
  • JSCLJSCL Posts: 1,259
    RideOnTime wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    Why we need to always hold our world class bike events in Yorkshire is just a bit daft.

    But nonetheless, great to see us finally getting a decent bid in to host the world's, even if it is 3 years away.


    Yes, indeed, I drink Yorkshire Tea Nowadays...
    Grown in Harrogate :shock:

    Can't beat Yorkshire Tea! When someone tries to give you Tetley... you make sure you put them in their place please.

    Have you doubled ironic... I'm not sure. :?

    That's for you to decide ;)
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    Hoping that this could pave the way for a spring classic being held in this country at some point in the future. Would happily trade the Tour of Britain, Tour de Yorkshire, grand tour starts and that London 'Classic' thing for a proper one day race.


    Only if the spring classic was within riding distance of my house.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
Sign In or Register to comment.