**NEW**: BIKERADAR Heart of England 2017 autumn ride?

Comments

• fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Was a day decided?
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    13th is looking better weather wise
  • fudgey
    Ok cool, sundays are generally more restrictive for me but ill sort something.

9am start?
  • Bobbinogs
    Fudgey wrote:
    Ok cool, sundays are generally more restrictive for me but ill sort something.

9am start?

I don't mind but some folks may want to go for a 10am start to help them get there? Happy to be flexible and we should be back in plenty of time before it starts getting dark (with some contingency in case of mechanicals).
  • fudgey
    10am is good for me, just need to decide if i ride there and back thus making it a 100 miler....

I take it start is around tetbury? Not looked at your links yet.
  • Bobbinogs
    Yes, I have emailed Veleton as they are the bike shop/cafe in tetbury so that would be a good place to meet. Planned end is Cafe53, just waiting for their confirmation too.
  • HAs the thread been taken over?

The plan with W12 lad is to meet at Tetbury on the 13th at 9:30 AM to do 70 miles. This is the plan

https://www.strava.com/routes/6960492

follows the cycling route 45 and 48 almost until Bourton
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    OK, you were asking for suggestions and local knowledge. Up to you then, do what you want.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    OK, you were asking for suggestions and local knowledge. Up to you then, do what you want.

I'm just trying to understand what is happening... first nobody says anything for a month, then all of a sudden routes and plans come together.
    I think we should cooperate... no point in having two rides for 4 people. We are happy to join your ride, as long as it's not a rushed thing... I need to fill the time until my wife finishes her course in the afternoon... if we are done by 1 PM then I have to find something to do for the rest of the day, which on a sunday in Tetbury might be an issue.

My route had a lunch stop planned at Bourton on the Water... how about yours?
  • Bobbinogs
    Ugo, Bourton is nice but it tends to be busy all year, and most Sundays it is chocker with snap happy jappies. Cycling always makes pre-booking difficult because of the big unknowns, like cycling speed and mechanicals. Also, the Romans were generally good with roads but the Whiteway was one for convenience, not great cycling so planning on hitting it twice on one ride is probably a little indulgent ;-)

If you do want to stick to Bourton then we could do a more interesting/varied way of getting there, e.g.:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17596115

This has a little more miles but many are flat around the water parks...before taking in Bibury and the lovely climb out of there. After lunch, we could revert to your route (assuming that Bourton is fixed) and then I will turn off at about 45-50 miles (70-75 for me including my journey over) and then I'll head to Chelters leaving you chaps to head back to Tetbury. I suspect Fudgey will also peel off close to Tetbury to make it a nice 100 for him :-)

The Veleton in Tetbury opens at 9 on Sunday so would make a good point to meet up, leaving at 9.30. Anyone who fancies doing the full route will have had a real treat of seeing the full variety of the Cotswolds from water parks, to cute little villages, some big long gentle climbs and some punchy little fellas too! Why, what's not to like? Any one else up for it???
  • OK,

I am game! The way back after Bourton is the one I know best and there are some lovely lanes. I thought of Bourton because it has a wide range of cafes... this time of the year it shouldn't be too packed. I have stopped in Bourton in July and always found a seat somewhere. There is also a fish and chips place if we are a bit adventurous.

9:30 start is perfect for me
  • Bobbinogs
    Good stuff. Veloton is small and bijou with a smattering of Italian around the place. It is handy for any last minute items like tubes, bottles or bicycle clips: http://veloton.co.uk/

Please bear in mind that their group rides also leave at 9.30 on Sunday (be CAREFUL you don't join the wrong ride ;-) ) so there may be quite a few cyclists milling about and limited places to store a bike somewhere conspicuous. I would suggest a 'cafe' lock for anyone turning up as it may get a little distracting and Bourton is similar in that it can be hard to keep an eye on bikes all the time.

Given the varied parcours and the time of year I figure we are aiming for something like a 16-17mph avg?? Total ride distance for those starting at Tetbury of about 70-75 miles, returning sometime between 3 and 4pm.
  • fudgey
    Sounds good to me. hopefully ill hang on for 16mph!
  • Sounds good, I will then look after you for the return leg.

As for the start, I am on a black Ridley disc bike and will probably wear a very bright green gabba jacket... I know W12 Lad, so will be able to spot him. Bobbinogs, do you still have a very bright blue Planet X bike?
  • fudgey
    Cheers. Ill be on a red Colnago CX zero with mudguards. Wearing either a white/black jersey or a white castelli waterproof.
  • fudgey
    Just plotted the route from my house to Tetbury merging Robins ride out and Ugo's ride back to Tetbury...

110 miles and 5500ft of climbing.. Ill stock up on Ibuprofen hahaha
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Is parking easy near the meeting point or should I be making for a specific spot not so obvious?
  • W12 lad wrote:
    Is parking easy near the meeting point or should I be making for a specific spot not so obvious?

Can't help with this, I have never been to Tetbury. But I have your number, if I find a good spot tomorrow, I'll drop you a text. I might not have internet tomorrow.
  • Bobbinogs
    I normally cycle through Tetbury rather than park there but it is a relatively small town, which means it is probably has street parking available not too far from the centre. I am guessing that many side roads near the cafe will be fine for parking with just the short cycle to the cafe to then cover. There are car parks (not sure about Sunday being chargeable) and they won't be busy at that time if you wanted something more straightforward.
  • Final version of the leg back from Bourton, taking in one of my favourite lanes, out of Guiting Power. Save it on your GPS if you have one...

https://www.strava.com/routes/6960492
  • Bobbinogs
    Ah yes, the long lane up to the farm at Hawling, very nice. We came hurtling down there a couple of weeks ago in the pitch black and were confronted by a tree completely across the road, fair to say there were some brakes screeching :-)

Weather looks cool but ok, the overnight rain tonight should have cleared making mudguards purely optional.

I will be the only one in the cafe wearing a Cheltenham club top.
  • Well, we managed to make this happen... thanks to Bobbinogs for the knowledgeable lead... a stunning day in a stunning part of the world

Hopefully will do another one in spring
  • fudgey
    Yes thanks to all involved - i enjoyed it. Until my knee started playing up a few miles from home.
    Thanks again for waiting for me too.
    Also just been out to the garage to see that my front tyre is flat again... New tubes arrived today luckily. Will give the tyre a propper check over!

Cheers!
  • Fudgey wrote:
    Yes thanks to all involved - i enjoyed it. Until my knee started playing up a few miles from home.
    Thanks again for waiting for me too.
    Also just been out to the garage to see that my front tyre is flat again... New tubes arrived today luckily. Will give the tyre a propper check over!

Cheers!

I have a word for you: "tubeless"... :wink:
  • fudgey
    Ha yes, i run tubeless on my mtb that has tubeless rims, but too tight to buy tubeless road wheels as i have another decent set for better weather.
  • Anyone wants to join for this?

http://www.the-rawlinson-bracket.co.uk/

Seems a worthy cause and a very decent route
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Already signed up for the top bracket.