Underwhelming...

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    bbrap wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Finally, Concorde. The outside design and engineering were superb but having gone onboard it really was tiny and, compared to even walking through business class on a 747, really quite cramped and basic

You need to think of it as a Caterham car, insanely fast and built for raw speed...but look elsewhere for comfort.

Having flown Concorde I can concur with this. Acceleration like you would not believe. Mach 2.02 at 65,000 ft, sky is jet black and the curvature of the earth is clearly visible. Wonderful memories which unfortunately are never likely to be repeated. Although only 4 seats wide (two either side of the aisle) you do get plenty of leg room and the leather seats are very comfy. Lobster and champagne was nice too :P

I had a photo of my mother in the cabin of Concorde standing next to the Mach meter display at 2.0 or whatever, somewhere between London and US, from about 1978 I think. Still got the Concorde pack of cards in a box somewhere here too... 8)

Side trivia - I recall reading a BA magazine back in the mid 90s, article about their frequent flyer program and a note that the top points earner the previous year was an oil company executive who'd done 73 - yes, 73 - return flights London to New York on Concorde in the year.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The thread where Philistines come to out themselves! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Snowdonia - meh. The black mountains further south on the other hand are stunning.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    London
  • RideOnTime
    perhaps more specifically City of London...
    ok clearly there are good bits

Shugborough Estate (NT)
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Tourism ruins a lot IMHO. I think Stonehenge is s classic example. It's a honeypot location, as a result it needed protecting. This costs money so they enclose it and charge money. English Heritage step in and charge a lot of money. Before you know it they've put up a huge visitor's centre with interpretation boards, mini museum, tour guides (for a 5 minute walk around the outer path) and a huge gift shop filled with tat like keyrings and no doubt Roman swords and helmets made of plastic for the kids.

All that does is create more overheads and another price increase. All to walk around the edge of some stones. It's Wiltshire guys go for a walk and look at the history for free. Seriously you can see Stonehenge as clearly from a distance especially with binoculars. Look at the features in the area and see Stonehenge within context. Leave the site for foreign or national coach tourists with.the money to buy the gift shop tat.

Avebury guys. Bigger site and you can.walk most of the it for free.
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    bbrap wrote:
    Having flown Concorde I can concur with this. Acceleration like you would not believe. Mach 2.02 at 65,000 ft, sky is jet black and the curvature of the earth is clearly visible.

Where's Manc33 when you need him?

Mount Rushmore was massively disappointing for me :roll:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ditto for me regarding Stonehenge and the Little Mermaid. I'd seen so many pictures before I actually got to see them in the flesh, and my first reaction was 'is that it?? I thought it would be a lot bigger'

Been inside the Concorde at Duxford and you're right, it is very narrow. Not a disappointment though; still fascinating to see.

The Bike Show at the NEC. That left me slightly underwhelmed. Not sure what I was expecting, but I thought threre'd be more excitement
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,386
    Old Trafford
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    RideOnTime wrote:
    London
    awavey wrote:
    Lands End, even ignoring the chintzyness and unrelated rubbish shops or the pay to have a photo taken by a sign post, it isnt even the most spectacular part of the Cornwall coast....and its a flippin long way to go to get there too.

Yes x2.

As for those who singled out Venice and the Angel of the North - I disagree. Both magical in their own ways.

Averbury > Stonehenge, though.

My vote: Monaco. Don't know what I expected, but it didn't deliver.

The exact opposite to disappointing: both Futuroscope and Disneyland Paris. Surprising and excellent.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    "Stonehenge was an expensive waste of time."

Drove past Stonehenge on the A303(?) when there was a traffic jam, saw it from my car, felt that that was good enough and it cost f*ck all.....result!!

Yeah well they've sorted that out good and proper now, the new road means you get a very distant and fleeting view of it and they have closed off the old road so you can't try that one either. (I did try)
  • I was looking forward to the Garmin 820.

Totally underwhelming experience.
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Notting Hill Carnival. Huge waste of police resources, major source of crime, anti social behaviour, litter and anti culture.
    A modern triumph of PC thinking over common sense.
    Why hasn't this shite fest been banned?
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Anal.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Anal.

Did it hurt?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Anal.

Did it hurt?

Couldn't sit down for a week.
  • RideOnTime
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Anal.

What Notting Hill Carnival? :shock:
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Tour of Britain live. Back in the days of kelloggs.

Now I was very young indeed when my dad took me to see the milk race in Southport. That was a lap b race so I got to see the racers several times. Even cut across the course to watch the other side. It felt exciting in a way the tour of Britain didn't. I mean half hour plus for less than a minute of seeing the riders flush by. Bring back the milk race, IIRC that was pro-am too. Was like the city centre races round a smallish loop.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I was at a Supercar track day last weekend. I had booked drives in the Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi R8, Nissan GTR and Ferrari 458 Spider. Was completely underwhelmed by the Gallardo and even more so by the R8, the GTR (which is the cheapest by a long shot) was absolutely the best without a shadow of a doubt so much so I paid for numerous additional laps in it. The 458 was...meh, nice but nothing terribly exciting in my book.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Underwhelming: Hollywood.

In support of Land's End - if you drive there then you don't deserve to be there! Cycle to it from a long way away (ideal JoG but in my case London), the gravel NCN path across the cliff tops is a nice end to the trip. Then buy a pint in the pub.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    or walk around it from Sennen Cove...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • secretsam
    ddraver wrote:
    or walk around it from Sennen Cove...

Or just go to Sennen Cove, it's lovely - although last time I went, the world and his wife seemed to have found out about it

• secretsam
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Anal.

Did it hurt?

Couldn't sit down for a week.

Should've used some wet lube :mrgreen:

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Jigsaws.

The electric saw variety not the puzzles :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    team47b wrote:
    Jigsaws.

The electric saw variety not the puzzles :D

Yep, can vouch for that. You have to go really slowly when the initial impression/marketing is that it will make life easier and speed things up. Then you're left with a rough edge that's nigh on impossible to sand without tears.

It's very good on MDF - but who the farq uses MDF?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Hollywood, what a shitehole :shock:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Rigga wrote:
    Hollywood, what a shitehole :shock:

Oh yes. Filthy, seedy horrible place living on past glories. It's like Calfornia's answer to Skegness but with no beach.
  • The lack of a substantial hill on the site of the Battle of Hastings

Sticking with the war theme, the Bay of Pigs.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Live sports events. Much more comfortable and with a better view when enjoyed at home.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Kings of Leon.
    Technically perfect renditions of their songs but total absence of showmanship. Add in a crowd that 50% of only know 1 song and it's a very soulless experience.