Vuelta Stage 5 *Spoilers*

2»

Comments

• Remember that awful crash in Pais Vasco that almost ended Peter Stetina's career?
    Well......................................

https://twitter.com/hendriksmj/status/7 ... 9559702528

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Remember that awful crash in Pais Vasco that almost ended Peter Stetina's career?
    Well......................................

https://twitter.com/hendriksmj/status/7 ... 9559702528

:shock: :roll:

At least they put cones on the ones at Pais Vasco

o-CAIDA-facebook.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    If I organised a race and left something like that unprotected resulting in a crash I would anticipate being sued. That's just negligent.

Froome appeared to lose some time after the crash having originally been with the group that got through. On that basis should he have lost time to Valverde? Bit of an odd one as it would mean people who finished behind him gained time on him but the gap appeared to be a result of racing rather than a crash or mechanical, what would the rule be in that situation?

Terrible stage but nice to see Meersman grab another win. Must be a few b list sprinters wishing they'd turned up for the first week.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Pross wrote:
    Froome appeared to lose some time after the crash having originally been with the group that got through. On that basis should he have lost time to Valverde? Bit of an odd one as it would mean people who finished behind him gained time on him but the gap appeared to be a result of racing rather than a crash or mechanical, what would the rule be in that situation?
    But Froome had to take evasive action to avoid the crash (which was right next to him) and that's why he was got detached from the back of that group.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Fair enough, I thought he was on the back of the Valverde group (just) when they first came into sight but dropped off as the drove towards the line. It would still be an interesting hypothetical debate though.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    The crash with Kruiswijk was hard to believe. How can they leave a pole in the road like that with no protection. Bloody pleased Froome didnt hit it, but it was close.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    mfin wrote:
    Surprising every year the lack of talk on the threads for the Vuelta!

For a GT it's a bit of a chipper, really.

Doesn't help that it comes after a summer with Euros, TdF and Olympics. We've all gone back to work and don't have the time to watch the novelty stage-finish, consolation-prize GT.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    mfin wrote:
    Surprising every year the lack of talk on the threads for the Vuelta!

For a GT it's a bit of a chipper, really.

Doesn't help that it comes after a summer with Euros, TdF and Olympics. We've all gone back to work and don't have the time to watch the novelty stage-finish, consolation-prize GT.

Speak for yourself, I'm watching nearly every stage when I'm not out riding :)

But yes, the Vuelta just doesn't have the same affinity as the Giro or the Tour has.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RichN95.
    The Giro and Tour can get by on their reputation and prestige for attention, but the Vuelta needs a bit of racing to get people going at the end of a long season. We haven't had it yet (and I'm pessimistic as to whether we will)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    The only disappointment so far is lack of top class sprinters. Otherwise it has been a reasonable start to a GT.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Even some second tier sprinters would be good. Used to be that, like the GC riders, you got an odd mix of up-an-coming fast guys, early season crocks and old geezers chasing a last couple of wins. Very little of note this year.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Vuelta was good last year, second best GT of the season (after the Giro ;) ). Hoping for more of the same.

I think the air of desperation from some of the guys racing really makes it. Also Dumoulin last year (again more of the same would be nice)
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Vuelta was good last year, second best GT of the season (after the Giro ;) ). Hoping for more of the same.

I think the air of desperation from some of the guys racing really makes it. Also Dumoulin last year (again more of the same would be nice)
    I think we need a new face or two challenging for GC, something the Vuelta has a record of providing, as established challengers are looking a little thin on the ground.
  • Joelsim wrote:

Jeez Louise! The Katusha rider! Grim stuff. :(
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Joelsim wrote:

Wow, a few nasty face plants in there
  • Pross
    Why are so many riders landing on their faces recently? It used to be very unusual.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Joelsim wrote:

Wow, a few nasty face plants in there

The organisers have today issued an apology regarding the crash yesterday and insisted that there will be a full investigation as to why the obstacle wasn,t clearly marked or protected.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Took me a while to figure out that there were multiple crashes yesterday. Looks like the Kruijswijk incident was relatively isolated, unlike the one near the end that took out loads.

The organisers need to take full responsibility, though they can't fix Kruijswijk's collarbone. But I'm astonished that no one picked up on the pole Kruijswijk hit. Surely someone from the organisers, police, media, fans or teams might have noticed. My experience of being at GT stages is that there is always a lot of traffic up and down the road prior to the race coming through...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    TheBigBean wrote:
    The only disappointment so far is lack of top class sprinters. Otherwise it has been a reasonable start to a GT.

Seems to always be the case for the Vuelta
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    No sprinter us going to slog themselves round the Vuelta with a sprinters Worlds on the horizon. TOB will be strong this year I suspect.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner