Pinno goes 21st century... (MP3 stuff)

Comments

• philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    So, you need a music source. Can be an MP3 player of any sort, (ipod etc), or your phone. You may have a phone contract that gives you Deezer, ( or some other music website) or you can download music off Spotify to listen to offline.
    Then you need an FM transmitter to broadcast to your in-car radio. You plug the transmitter into the headphone socket of the MP3 player.
    You then find an FM frequency on the radio that just gives white noise (so no other radio station signal is on it), leave the radio set to this.
    Set the transmitter to the same frequency. Play the music on the MP3 player and it plays through your radio.
    Easy! I used to travel from Essex to York with this set up, you just get continuous music, no changing CDs etc.
    Of course you could rip your vinyl to MP3 by using Audacity, rather than downloading but that would take a long time...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    philcubed wrote:
    So... holy moly...time...

Eeek.

Fair play to you for doing that but anything that doesn't have wires, bearings, nuts and bolts is the work of the devil.

What tf is a bittorrent? A small burn in the Highlands after a rain shower?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Pinno wrote:
    You're a cheeky basket Blakey.
    Apologies. When I searched at work lots of solutions came up. At home, next to nothing. :?
    Try this - https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acatalo ... 777-8.html
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    20th century
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Apologies. When I searched at work lots of solutions came up. At home, next to nothing. :?

Yep, they sell those active noise cancelling headphones. Marvellous.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Do you own a child under 30 or can you borrow one, they will sort it for you in the blink of an eye.
  • pinno
    Webboo wrote:
    Do you own a child under 30 or can you borrow one, they will sort it for you in the blink of an eye.

Good idea.

The oldest is 5. I do have a neighbour with an autistic son of 14 though...

All these problems...

CBA Road General or Workshop: Good insole for cycling shoes recommendation Webboo? My left foot gets really hot on the ball of my foot. I have a theory the friction on that left cleat is transferring through the shoe and cooking my foot. If I fix that squeak...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Go to local library - they generally have really good cd sections (ours has everything from Nine Inch Nails to Abba to jazz stuff that I don't understand). What they don't have they will order in for you.

Borrow. Burn. Return. Free music. I did about 200 albums this way.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Go to local library - they generally have really good cd sections (ours has everything from Nine Inch Nails to Abba to jazz stuff that I don't understand). What they don't have they will order in for you.

Borrow. Burn. Return. Free music. I did about 200 albums this way.

You star. For that suggestion, i'll let you win the caption comp.

Why are we waiting...
  • pblakeney
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Your computer screen must be using the same blinkers as yourself.
    There is an option to buy a stylus for your cartridge under the headphone ad. :roll:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    Pinno wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Good idea.

The oldest is 5. I do have a neighbour with an autistic son of 14 though...

All these problems...

CBA Road General or Workshop: Good insole for cycling shoes recommendation Webboo? My left foot gets really hot on the ball of my foot. I have a theory the friction on that left cleat is transferring through the shoe and cooking my foot. If I fix that squeak...
    How weird I have this on my right foot, I have seen Physios, several consultants and even had an injection and bought bigger and wider shoes but it's still there. However the font of all knowledge ( the wife ) says " it's because you insist in ramming your feet in to rock climbing shoes 3 sizes too small"
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

There is an option to buy a stylus for your cartridge under the headphone ad. :roll:
    Pinno wrote:
    Listen up you dodgy old codgers, I have a big Vinyl collection but i'm not fitting a turntable to my car.

Actually, whilst I am at it. I need a R25XT cartridge for a Pioneer turntable. Only managed to source one in the US - £47 plus silly money postage and add duty if the seller declares full cost.
  • pinno
    Webboo wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Good...squeak...
    How weird I have this on my right foot, I have seen Physios, several consultants and even had an injection and bought bigger and wider shoes but it's still there. However the font of all knowledge ( the wife ) says " it's because you insist in ramming your feet in to rock climbing shoes 3 sizes too small"

I'm going to wear my old Sidi's tomorrow and see if A) It cooks my foot and B) It squeaks.

How long a ride before you get the sensation? I get it after about 35 miles.
  • pblakeney
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Pinno wrote:
    Listen up you dodgy old codgers, I have a big Vinyl collection but i'm not fitting a turntable to my car.

Actually, whilst I am at it. I need a R25XT cartridge for a Pioneer turntable. Only managed to source one in the US - £47 plus silly money postage and add duty if the seller declares full cost.
    Who on earth needs to replace a cartridge? How do you break one?
    Replace the stylus and enjoy the music. 8)
    But if you insist - Compatibility - http://cdn.shure.com/uploaded_file/uplo ... erence.pdf
    Buy - https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei= ... 7790221370
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    Thanks for the link Bally but the Pioneer fitting is pretty unique. Yes, cartridges do go. I have done a continuity test from the arm all the way to the audio output to the amp and it's fine. Only thing left is the cartridge.
  • pblakeney
    Pinno wrote:
    Thanks for the link Bally but the Pioneer fitting is pretty unique. Yes, cartridges do go. I have done a continuity test from the arm all the way to the audio output to the amp and it's fine. Only thing left is the cartridge.
    All my searches say that it is a Shure cartridge, and that compatibility list is from Shure.
    I'm shure you could bodge it. :wink: Ah well, I give up.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    All my searches say that it is a Shure cartridge, and that compatibility list is from Shure.
    I'm shure you could bodge it. :wink: Ah well, I give up.

"R25XT (Radio
    Shack) R3X (Brown)
    No Biradial (0.4 x 0.7 mils) 2.5 to 3.5 grams
    M92E (0.4 x 0.7
    mils) (Tracking
    Force: 0.75 to 1.5
    grams)
    N75EC Discontinued-OUT OF STOCK"

Though I will look for that cartridge somewhere else and yes, I do Have a Shure stylus, Funnily enough, I sourced one at my local TV/Radio repair shop. I went in and the proprietor looked puzzled, scratched his head and disappeared. He came back with a dusty old box and we sifted though dozens of stylus and found the very one to match my old one that had worn out. The price tag (old stick on one - remember them?) had shrivelled up so he said "How about a tenner?" To which I was delighted as it was available from Shure for £30.

Maybe I should contact Shure directly.
  • pblakeney
    Pinno wrote:
    "R25XT (Radio
    Shack) R3X (Brown)
    No Biradial (0.4 x 0.7 mils) 2.5 to 3.5 grams
    (Current Replacement) M92E (0.4 x 0.7
    mils) (Tracking
    Force: 0.75 to 1.5
    grams)
    (Upgrade Stylus) N75EC Discontinued-OUT OF STOCK"

Maybe I should contact Shure directly.
    That snip is from a Shure website.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    hot foot, if the current insoles are floppy/thin, try specialized bg ones, they come with different levels of arch support, choose the lowest (unless you need more)

moving cleats further back might also help, but then you may need to change saddle height too

cartridge, shure, in the usa probably rebranded, from the look of it the mounting holes to the arm are standard half-inch spacing, i'd just get a generic moving magnet cartridge, at95e for instance...
    https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acatalo ... A0067.html
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • webboo
    Pinno wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Good...squeak...

I'm going to wear my old Sidi's tomorrow and see if A) It cooks my foot and B) It squeaks.

How long a ride before you get the sensation? I get it after about 35 miles.
    Tends to come on when it's hot. I could feel it after about 30 miles yesterday but it was my third day on. However it never got very painful unlike my arse.
  • pinno
    sungod wrote:
    hot foot, if the current insoles are floppy/thin, try specialized bg ones, they come with different levels of arch support, choose the lowest (unless you need more)

moving cleats further back might also help, but then you may need to change saddle height too.

I'll try that. I have a very high arch. I think the foot is flattening out as I pedal which means the arch is compromised.
    sungod wrote:
    cartridge, shure, in the usa probably rebranded, from the look of it the mounting holes to the arm are standard half-inch spacing, i'd just get a generic moving magnet cartridge, at95e for instance...
    https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acatalo ... A0067.html

The pins in the above look compatible. Cheers.

Suggested cartridge replacement M92E on the link Blakey (completely different):

s-l500.jpg

Or

N75EC cartridge. Hens teeth.
  • sungod
    Pinno wrote:
    I'll try that. I have a very high arch. I think the foot is flattening out as I pedal which means the arch is compromised.

you could try the blue (aka ++) specialized bg ones as they have more support (or the green/+++ for even more), but bear in mind these work best if the shoes are pretty flat inside, if your shoes have any midfoot support the bg ones may not be so good as they also have support in that area - hot foot can be due to the midfoot area getting too much pressure, more risk with the combination of a shoe+insole both with midfoot support

fwiw i have high arches and without support my heels 'roll in' which causes knee problems, i've been through a lot of insoles, standard, custom, most were not quite right!

for high arches the g8 2620 ones might be much better for you than the specialized as you can adjust the height and position of the support (don't get the running-oriented g8, the heel is wrong for road shoes), the best of all i found were e-fit but sadly they aren't made any more
  • pinno
    sungod wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

you could try the blue (aka ++) specialized bg ones as they have more support (or the green/+++ for even more), but bear in mind these work best if the shoes are pretty flat inside, if your shoes have any midfoot support the bg ones may not be so good as they also have support in that area - hot foot can be due to the midfoot area getting too much pressure, more risk with the combination of a shoe+insole both with midfoot support

fwiw i have high arches and without support my heels 'roll in' which causes knee problems, i've been through a lot of insoles, standard, custom, most were not quite right!

for high arches the g8 2620 ones might be much better for you than the specialized as you can adjust the height and position of the support (don't get the running-oriented g8, the heel is wrong for road shoes), the best of all i found were e-fit but sadly they aren't made any more

Okay, i'll go with what you use now - which are?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    I don't think there's any manufacturer specific cartridge pins layout - pretty much any cartridge should have 4 pins, 2 for left, 2 for right channel. The compatibility issues are whether the type (common is moving magnet) has enough output to drive your amp or not, and if you get really fussy whether the compliance and mass are a good match for your tonearm.

In your case, a Pioneer table will be a fairly standard design I'd expect, so *most* moving magnet cartridges will be entirely usable.

The single biggest issue in cartridge installation is getting it correctly aligned to work best. That means adjustable tonearm height overall to get correct VTA (Vertical Tracking Angle) and also being able to properly align it in the headshell so it has good azimuth angle. The tracking force is critical, dependent on the compliance of whatever they've used to mount the cantilever with the stylus in the cartridge, so experiment a bit. Setting anti-skating is also critical to ensure (a) even wear and (b) even L/R channel balance.

Thought it was simple, eh?

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/setting-up-a-phono-cartridge/

That explains some of it.

Used to do that stuff for a living... :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sungod
    Pinno wrote:

Okay, i'll go with what you use now - which are?

my favourites are still the efit ones, i'm hoping to get a few more years out of them, but i think the company shut down, old br review...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -13-46945/

g8 2620 is the best alternative i've found, but much pricier than the efit used to be, the 2620 is a revised version of...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... -in-37016/
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Pinno wrote:
    sungod wrote:

moving cleats further back might also help, but then you may need to change saddle height too.

Or

N75EC cartridge. Hens teeth.

You need a shimano heat custom insole, similar same prob as you, moving cleats different wider shoes, made no difference, the foortbed comes with 3 arch inserts.

i know nothing about cartridges, unless they are shotgun or printer ones.
  • pinno
    I don't think there's any manufacturer specific cartridge pins layout - pretty much any cartridge should have 4 pins, 2 for left, 2 for right channel. The compatibility issues are whether the type (common is moving magnet) has enough output to drive your amp or not, and if you get really fussy whether the compliance and mass are a good match for your tonearm.

In your case, a Pioneer table will be a fairly standard design I'd expect, so *most* moving magnet cartridges will be entirely usable.

The single biggest issue in cartridge installation is getting it correctly aligned to work best. That means adjustable tonearm height overall to get correct VTA (Vertical Tracking Angle) and also being able to properly align it in the headshell so it has good azimuth angle. The tracking force is critical, dependent on the compliance of whatever they've used to mount the cantilever with the stylus in the cartridge, so experiment a bit. Setting anti-skating is also critical to ensure (a) even wear and (b) even L/R channel balance.

Thought it was simple, eh?

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/setting-up-a-phono-cartridge/

That explains some of it.

Used to do that stuff for a living... :D

The arm has a very good balance weight. The rest - if I get an RX25T or equivalent, then I don't have to do all the head scratching. The Shure AT95e looks similar.
    Much as I respect your opinion, when searching (without the correct information), there's a massive myriad of cartridges available. I picked up one from an electrical store in Glasgow for example, the pins were a fraction bigger than mine and the input/output leads would not fit and I wasn't going to start fiddling with them so that they would. Other than that, the mounting hole's were identical. Some are too long, or too narrow or have dedicated (unique) connection system. With no guarantee's, i'm dissuaded.
    So be a Star and look up my model up and what is compatible:

Pioneer PL-930 turntable. It's beautiful and i'm loathed to replace it.

@Sungod - I'm not paying £80 for insoles and I doubt you would too. I had a look at the Green+++ but slightly prefer the Orange. I did a slight saddle height adjustment - 3mm yesterday and did 68 miles. The hot spot was less significant. I am not dropping it anymore. What I will try is my old Sidi's. If I get no hot spot (this is a new phenomenon), then I can blame the shoe and go from there.
  • pinno
    As an aside {...and yes, this is an old thread and I never did manage all that MP3 bollox but I found a solution...] itboffin pointed out that he had a mate with the same hot spot and he noticed that on the new cleats, the cleat screws were longer than the older one's. When he replaced the screws with shorter one's, the hot spot went away.

Found a Pioneer PL930 on fleabay; untested with a crack in the top. Sure enough it didn't work but only cost £16 plus p+p.
    So I swapped the guts over and used my motor as this was the fault in the newly acquired unit.
    It even came with the same cartridge and I used my NOS Shure stylus and bingo; happy days.

In the process of looking for alternative turntables, I got distracted by all sorts of retro separates. One separate that stood out was the Pioneer PDR 600 CDR. After a bit if umming and aaing, I found one. It's a super unit, automatic record functions etc etc, and it's got very good sound quality.

So basically, I am sorted. Old school (sort of) recording form Vinyl, CD and anything analogue.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    MP3Million.

Claims to be legal and $0.09 per track.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    That’ll be one of those dodgy russian sites ... Used them 10+ years ago to get random remixes not available on cd ... but you have 2 options ... prepaid card or use your credit card and call your bank to cancel it immediately feigning niaivity ...

Unless they have something you can’t get on cd for a fiver (a pint) or you really are a tight arse, just buy the stuff from amazon marketplace for £0.01 + £1.26 postage ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.