Rio Velodrome legacy

2»

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Away from the issue of a specific venue, the 92 Games did a huge amount for Barcelona's position as one of the great cities of the world, how the Barcelonians feel about the world perception of their city, and for the city's infrastructure.

See also: Manchester's Commonwealth games.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    Pross wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Barcelona? Totally abandoned

I was amazed when I went that the iconic pool wasn't in use. I would have loved to have swum in there and had a go off one of the (lower) diving boards.
    The diving pool is still open and in use. A friend's son was competing there earlier this summer. I thought the swimming pool was open too.

Are they in the same building? It was the diving pool I was thinking of, I went there in 2003 and it was shut. It may have been out of season I suppose but it looked like it hadn't been used in years. I did get to look around the Olympic stadium though.
  • I doubt the local businesses care much.
    They are currently earning a gold medal in daylight robbery.
    My sister got stung in a bog standard Italian restaurant, for a basic meal for seven to the tune of 400 quid.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • davidof wrote:
    The best thing would be to sell the track to Britain.

We could do with a track here in Ireland but at least one or two of my countrymen aren't exactly flavour of the month in Rio at the present time :D so they probably wouldn't give us a good deal.

DD.
  • davidof wrote:
    The best thing would be to sell the track to Britain.

We could do with a track here in Ireland but at least one or two of my countrymen aren't exactly flavour of the month in Rio at the present time :D so they probably wouldn't give us a good deal.

DD.

You'll enjoy this, DD :D

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/FreePatHickey
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,533
    I doubt the local businesses care much.
    They are currently earning a gold medal in daylight robbery.
    My sister got stung in a bog standard Italian restaurant, for a basic meal for seven to the tune of 400 quid.

Brazil is quite odd when it comes to pricing. Things that appeal to the wealthy are very expensive (especially in Rio) and things that are needed by the poor are quite cheap. Frequently there is not much in between. I was always surprised by just how many restaurants would have cost me more than my basic, but perfectly fine, hotel.

That's not to say your sister's experience should be expected. Just a bit of background.