Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Rio Velodrome legacy

aztecboyaztecboy Posts: 384
edited August 2016 in Pro race
Does anyone know what will happen to it after the Paras?
aztecboy
«1

Posts

  • jscljscl Posts: 1,015
    aztecboy wrote:
    Does anyone know what will happen to it after the Paras?

    I'll bet you within two years, it'll have no money and in a dire state. The 'people' or the Gvmt will want to sell whatever they can, even the wood of the track if they could.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • ProssPross Posts: 31,647
    Given the announcements today re: the Paralympics I suspect that may prove the case.
  • No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 11,321
    West Ham want to play away matches there.
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

    @DrHeadgear

    The Vikings are coming!
  • The_BoyThe_Boy Posts: 3,099
    There's a page somewhere with pics of the venues from the 84 winter Olympics in Belgrade (I'd find it, but baby Sagan has only just settled after a day of overstimulation, so nuh). Anyway, crumbling and overgrown all of it. I expect much of the stuff from these games to go the same way.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 25,889
    The_Boy wrote:
    There's a page somewhere with pics of the venues from the 84 winter Olympics in Belgrade (I'd find it, but baby Sagan has only just settled after a day of overstimulation, so nuh). Anyway, crumbling and overgrown all of it. I expect much of the stuff from these games to go the same way.
    To be fair Sarajevo did have a war soon after.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    same thing that happened to the Autódromo Internacional Nelson Piquet, aka Jacarepaguá which is what they demolished to build it... :(
  • The_BoyThe_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    There's a page somewhere with pics of the venues from the 84 winter Olympics in Belgrade (I'd find it, but baby Sagan has only just settled after a day of overstimulation, so nuh). Anyway, crumbling and overgrown all of it. I expect much of the stuff from these games to go the same way.
    To be fair Sarajevo did have a war soon after.

    It also isn't Belgrade :facepalm: . By way of mitigation, I refer the counsel to my previous comments regarding baby Sagan.

    I wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with the place for the state of the venues, just suggesting there are photos available for those who can be bothered looking for them.

    That said, a better analogue would probably be Delhi post commonwealth hosting (Athens probably has a fair few crumbling venues too).

    On the plus side, yhe handball venue is aparently a temporary structure and will be dismantled and used to construct four new schools post-games.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ducknumber1ducknumber1 Posts: 1,042
    The_Boy wrote:
    (Athens probably has a fair few crumbling venues too)

    I've seen this a few times https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2014/aug/13/abandoned-athens-olympic-2004-venues-10-years-on-in-pictures

    Never one of venues still open though....
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,720
    The best thing would be to sell the track to Britain.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 25,889
    These empty facilities from games past show why the British tax payer should be so grateful to West Ham for making use of the Olympic stadium. It would nice if the tax paying public showed their appreciation by buying them a proper right back.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jscljscl Posts: 1,015
    davidof wrote:
    The best thing would be to sell the track to Britain.

    The IOM Gvmt have been trying to buy a number of 'used' tracks of recent years and number of draft proposals have been made.

    So who knows...
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • above_the_cowsabove_the_cows Posts: 11,318
    Ah, Sarajevo 84. The final, draw dropping piece of the puzzle in the world's best ever TV show...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ProssPross Posts: 31,647
    RichN95 wrote:
    These empty facilities from games past show why the British tax payer should be so grateful to West Ham for making use of the Olympic stadium. It would nice if the tax paying public showed their appreciation by buying them a proper right back.

    And the sense in making the venues easy to convert or relocate once the Games finished. Brazil's efforts are 20 years behind the times and suggest that the IOC are only paying lip service to legacy and sustainability.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 25,889
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    These empty facilities from games past show why the British tax payer should be so grateful to West Ham for making use of the Olympic stadium. It would nice if the tax paying public showed their appreciation by buying them a proper right back.

    And the sense in making the venues easy to convert or relocate once the Games finished. Brazil's efforts are 20 years behind the times and suggest that the IOC are only paying lip service to legacy and sustainability.
    As a West Ham fan I was trolling a little, but the fact remains that without West Ham (who are getting a great deal), that stadium would be little used. As we both know the Millennium gets little use outside of rugby - and the Olympic stadium had little to fall back on.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    Barcelona? Totally abandoned
  • ProssPross Posts: 31,647
    coriordan wrote:
    Barcelona? Totally abandoned

    I was amazed when I went that the iconic pool wasn't in use. I would have loved to have swum in there and had a go off one of the (lower) diving boards.
  • ProssPross Posts: 31,647
    Wasn't Montreal the one that got a reputation for money wasted?
  • Pross wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Barcelona? Totally abandoned

    I was amazed when I went that the iconic pool wasn't in use. I would have loved to have swum in there and had a go off one of the (lower) diving boards.
    The diving pool is still open and in use. A friend's son was competing there earlier this summer. I thought the swimming pool was open too.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 25,889
    coriordan wrote:
    Barcelona? Totally abandoned
    I was at the hockey venue a couple of years ago. My club was playing in the Eurohockey League there. The Olympic Stadium nearby seemed to be functional.

    For a contrasting view of legacy - in 1958 Cardiff hosted the Empire Games (now the Commonwealth Games). The only reamining facility is the cycling track (where Tom Simpson claimed a silver). It now hosts Maindy Flyers, a youth club that has produced Geraint Thomas, Luke Rowe, Nicole Cooke, Elinor Barker and Owain Doull amongst others.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cowsabove_the_cows Posts: 11,318
    Pross wrote:
    Wasn't Montreal the one that got a reputation for money wasted?

    Some serious Mafia stuff in Montreal apparently.

    The Olympic complex in Athens has been 'home' to many refugees for the last year or so. The hockey stadium houses about 3,000 people and the baseball field is covered in UNHCR tents etc. etc.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 10,380
    RichN95 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Barcelona? Totally abandoned
    I was at the hockey venue a couple of years ago. My club was playing in the Eurohockey League there. The Olympic Stadium nearby seemed to be functional.

    For a contrasting view of legacy - in 1958 Cardiff hosted the Empire Games (now the Commonwealth Games). The only reamining facility is the cycling track (where Tom Simpson claimed a silver). It now hosts Maindy Flyers, a youth club that has produced Geraint Thomas, Luke Rowe, Nicole Cooke, Elinor Barker and Owain Doull amongst others.

    Rich which hockey league do you play your regular hockey in? Trying to work out if you would have come across my old club - we played a few times in South Wales and I was only playing in the second team.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    My mistake then. I was there a few years ago and the athletics stadium seemed totally abandoned except for the sale of some cheap souvenirs and the outside was in disrepair. It was quite an eerie feeling being the ONLY people wondering around the stadiums
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 25,889
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Barcelona? Totally abandoned
    I was at the hockey venue a couple of years ago. My club was playing in the Eurohockey League there. The Olympic Stadium nearby seemed to be functional.

    For a contrasting view of legacy - in 1958 Cardiff hosted the Empire Games (now the Commonwealth Games). The only reamining facility is the cycling track (where Tom Simpson claimed a silver). It now hosts Maindy Flyers, a youth club that has produced Geraint Thomas, Luke Rowe, Nicole Cooke, Elinor Barker and Owain Doull amongst others.

    Rich which hockey league do you play your regular hockey in? Trying to work out if you would have come across my old club - we played a few times in South Wales and I was only playing in the second team.
    I play for Cardiff & Met in the Wales and South West league (the lower reaches these days) Probably would have just been called just plain Cardiff back then. Who were you with?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 10,380
    North Somerset. When I played we weren't that good but I understand they have been doing OK in the last few years and won their league at some point. The firsts seemed to play further afield than us.

    When I first started playing (in the 3s) it was basically a youth team and we got beaten week in week out...
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 25,889
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    North Somerset. When I played we weren't that good but I understand they have been doing OK in the last few years and won their league at some point. The firsts seemed to play further afield than us.

    When I first started playing (in the 3s) it was basically a youth team and we got beaten week in week out...
    I've certainly played there - a long time ago, I dropped down the levels over ten years ago. Is that Portishead? I probably played there regularly when I was a Bristol Uni. They'll play most of their matches to the South these days.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,865
    Most of the venues built here in Sydney are still in (commercial) use and quite well utilised, even the rowing and canoeing courses are operational.
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Seven 622SL Kestrel RT1000 On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 10,380
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    North Somerset. When I played we weren't that good but I understand they have been doing OK in the last few years and won their league at some point. The firsts seemed to play further afield than us.

    When I first started playing (in the 3s) it was basically a youth team and we got beaten week in week out...
    I've certainly played there - a long time ago, I dropped down the levels over ten years ago. Is that Portishead? I probably played there regularly when I was a Bristol Uni. They'll play most of their matches to the South these days.

    Yeah and that's about when I played there too. I went to uni in '06 so that's when I stopped playing for them.
  • top_bhoytop_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Most of the venues built here in Sydney are still in (commercial) use and quite well utilised, even the rowing and canoeing courses are operational.
    Operational = buoys floating on a lake :P
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 9,939
    coriordan wrote:
    Barcelona? Totally abandoned
    Espanyol FC played there from 1997 until 2009 before moving to a new purpose built stadium.

    Montjuic still used to host mega concerts, AC/DC, Coldplay and the like.

    Whether that constitutes an active and lasting legacy...?
  • Away from the issue of a specific venue, the 92 Games did a huge amount for Barcelona's position as one of the great cities of the world, how the Barcelonians feel about the world perception of their city, and for the city's infrastructure.

    Now if only Madrid will allow an independence referendum, the Catalans will be happy...
Sign In or Register to comment.