Rio Olympics - Road Race *running & swimming*

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Say what you like about triathletes but these boys are bloody impressive
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Gweeds wrote:
    Say what you like about triathletes but these boys are bloody impressive

You're not kidding!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    They look weird riding road bikes.

Their riding style, or that they aren't on time trial bikes?

Or both ?!?!?!

All of it. And the lack of shirt sleeves.

Anyway this much exertion on screen is making me want to eat a biscuit.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    It's like watching Ant and Dec, or the Yates brothers, no idea which one is which.
  • above_the_cows
    TheBigBean wrote:
    It's like watching Ant and Dec, or the Yates brothers, no idea which one is which.

The one in the front is Ant. The second one is Dec.

Ant is Alistair
    Dec is Jonathan
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    The guys who finished fourth and fifth were in group two for cycling. Getting rid of the likes of them is why the Brownlees did a lot of work on the bike.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Did they get the 1-2?
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    yup :)

And i have to say any race where half the competitors collapse at the finish line has to get respect!
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Did they get the 1-2?

They certainly did... a great performance.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • above_the_cows
    Ah Richard Varga seems a lovely chap.
  • above_the_cows
    So does Mola.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    That's what struck me.... what a pleasure to hear these great young athletes speak. So much better than hearing the majority of the post race interviews with so many track athletes.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    CqKJDWNWEAQ5oDy.jpg

Billiant from the brothers.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Wish one of the Browlnees had put his bike hat on straight - it's ruining my enjoyment of the race.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,361
    RichN95 wrote:
    The guys who finished fourth and fifth were in group two for cycling. Getting rid of the likes of them is why the Brownlees did a lot of work on the bike.

I'm going to slip some hockey in here.

@RichN: 7 from 7 for the women. What are they doing that the men aren't? I really enjoyed the British domination of the game last night. Actually made hockey quite interesting.
    Also, do we normally compete internationally as England, Scotland etc? and if so, how can you periodically bring a team together like that successfully or do they all come from Surrey anyway?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95.
    Pinno wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm going to slip some hockey in here.

@RichN: 7 from 7 for the women. What are they doing that the men aren't? I really enjoyed the British domination of the game last night. Actually made hockey quite interesting.
    Also, do we normally compete internationally as England, Scotland etc? and if so, how can you periodically bring a team together like that successfully or do they all come from Surrey anyway?
    The Men? No idea they were just crap. The women were seen as the better bet for a medal though. There's a lot more experience in the women's team.

Usually GB only play as GB for the Olympics, although they are now playing as GB in the World League (although confusingly Scotland and Wales also enter that). Both squads in Rio are 100% England players - not always the case though (I'm hopeful that a Welsh player at my club could make it for 2024). A large number play in the South East. Also international players play a lot more international matches than their football & rugby equivalents - players with 300 caps aren't unusual.
  • pinno
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm...anyway?
    The Men? No idea they were just crap. The women were seen as the better bet for a medal though. There's a lot more experience in the women's team.

Are you saying that the women got more input and prep?
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2016
    Pinno wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm...anyway?

Are you saying that the women got more input and prep?
    No, all the same. They're just more experienced. Quite a few of the men retired after London, but women retained more of their key players (even bringing Cullen out of retirement). They're just better. Their spine - Hinch, Cullen, Townsend and Danson are amongst the very best in the world, while the men only have Ashley Jackson would is truly world class. Make no mistake though, they flopped big time.

Incidently, Belgium's men are in the final. Their star player is called Tom Boon, which is confusing on my twitter when Euro Hockey League finals and Paris-Roubaix are on at the same time.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    From UK Cycling Expert today.

Inspired by Sir Froome on Mon Von 2 at the Le Tour, Team Sky Pro Cycling's Brownlee brothers have ditched the bikes & are running the rest!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    Full results with splits here in case anyone is interested. Quickest runner lost it on swim, so it is not all about the run.

http://www.triathlon.org/results/result ... mes/305290
  • RichN95.
    More hockey/cycling trivia (via Inner Ring): Argentinian Gold Medalist Luca Masso is Eddy Merckx's grandson (they just beat Belgium)
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Full results with splits here in case anyone is interested. Quickest runner lost it on swim, so it is not all about the run.

http://www.triathlon.org/results/result ... mes/305290

Worth remembering that Alistair jogged/walked the finishing chute; if he hadn't his run time would be about the same as Murray's.

Love the Brownlees, proper racers.
  • pinno
    So the women did it, Deserved win (I think; not that I know much about hockey).

...and 58 years young Nick Skelton wins a gold medal !
  • Pinno wrote:
    So the women did it, Deserved win (I think; not that I know much about hockey).

...and 58 years young Nick Skelton wins a gold medal !

My take on the hockey was that GB were forced/chose to counter-punch, then won it in the shootout with the superior keeper. Don't think the result was undeserved but suspect the Dutch will be wondering how they failed to win. Interested to hear Rich's view though - like you, I know little.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yeah watching it in the 3rd and 4th quarter it was surprising the Dutch weren't up. So tense.
    - was incredible.
  • RichN95.

My take on the hockey was that GB were forced/chose to counter-punch, then won it in the shootout with the superior keeper. Don't think the result was undeserved but suspect the Dutch will be wondering how they failed to win. Interested to hear Rich's view though - like you, I know little.
    That's more less it. I gave GB a 40% chance of winning gold and the won it in the way I thought they would.

Netherlands have a lot of flair players (four of their team have been World Player of the Year) while GB are a well organised unit. Coaches talk about D-entries (the number of times a team gets the ball into the oppositions area) and the conversion rate from them. The Netherlands's was poor, as was their strike rate at penalty corners - but that's also down to GBs defence. The Dutch defence when tested wasn't good. You have to take your chances.

The biggest difference was the goalkeepers. Hinch showed is the best in the World and the Dutch GK had a bad game - I'd be annoyed to concede a couple of those goals. Once it got to the shoot out I expected GB to win.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    CrDNbCKg.jpg

CqQi608VYAAAnqg.jpg:large

Gutsy girls, some great achievements this Olympics in a variety of sports.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    s more less it. I gave GB a 40% chance of winning gold and the won it in the way I thought they would.

Netherlands have a lot of flair players (four of their team have been World Player of the Year) while GB are a well organised unit. Coaches talk about D-entries (the number of times a team gets the ball into the oppositions area) and the conversion rate from them. The Netherlands's was poor, as was their strike rate at penalty corners - but that's also down to GBs defence. The Dutch defence when tested wasn't good. You have to take your chances.

As some who knows little about the tactics of the game can you enlighten me on the following question:

To me, GB lost possession numerous times inside their 23 when they tried to dribble the ball out of danger thus heaping more pressure on their defending. Is this a sensible tactic as when in other team sports i.e. Rugby & Football, clearing the ball from your danger area is a priority over possession?

I realise GB like defending deep and defending with 10 but it felt like they kept inviting unneeded pressure on themselves with this tactic
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    The success off the hockey women really shows what a mess the home Football associations make of this - a GB womens team could really give the sport a boost in this country. A mate whose daughter plays hockey for Wales tells me there is a bit of arguing about the composition of the team but at least they get it done and seem to realise it's better to be there than not and they've got a real reward for that now.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.

As some who knows little about the tactics of the game can you enlighten me on the following question:

To me, GB lost possession numerous times inside their 23 when they tried to dribble the ball out of danger thus heaping more pressure on their defending. Is this a sensible tactic as when in other team sports i.e. Rugby & Football, clearing the ball from your danger area is a priority over possession?

I realise GB like defending deep and defending with 10 but it felt like they kept inviting unneeded pressure on themselves with this tactic
    No, it's not particularly sensible, generally running with the ball should be saved for the other end of the pitch - but I think they were defending very deep in numbers and had few options to pass forward to. But it worked - so there you go.