Best bike shop in England.

2»

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    sungod wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    That said, if I was coming to this country for a week I wouldn't waste 5 minutes of it in Birmingham let alone a day.

not entirely a waste, you could get some curry goat takeaway as you pass through there :)

That's true, and maybe someone could shove it through the car window for you so you don't have to drop below 100mph.
  • Total drool-worthy 'bankers-bonus' bikes: http://www.bespokecycling.com

3 stores in London. The people working there were also nice,considering there's no way on earth I'd be in the market for a bike at that level :D
  • If they're going to The Lakes they could do worse than take a 5 min detour off the M6 to visit Paul Hewitts in Leyland.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Went into push cartel when I was looking for a bike. Well I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on something perfect for my needs. Plus it was newly opened I believe.

Walked in...turned around and walked out. Seriously expensive kit. So expensive that if you have to ask how much you're in the wrong shop. I felt like the Victorian/Dickensian kid with the nose to the sweet shop window who had dared to go in! I left before the boss got "one of his boys" to see me off. Or at least that's how it felt to me.

Yeah, very high-end stuff (I work about 5 minutes walk away), but the guys in there are very friendly - they have never come across as snobby with me at all. The actual shop is a strange set-up - it's nothing much more than a shed down the side of Stockghyll, but the stock inside belies the exterior. They started smaller than they are now (which is still very small) and seem to have grown organically, adding more floor-space over the last year or so. I think the guys that run it used to work in Wheelbase. It's worth a visit if you're in Ambleside, but I wouldn't make a special journey if I weren't here already.
    Wheelbase is okay - it's apparently the largest bike shop in the UK, so as far as stock goes, there's nothing else around here that can compete. They have the entire top floor dedicated to road bikes, and they have just added a new bike-fit room up there. They do have some nice Colnago steel frames as well! The only small fly in the ointment is that the village they are in, Staveley, has been somewhat cut off from the south end of the bypass. Storm Desmond destroyed the bridge over the main road, and they haven't replaced it yet. It is still very much accessible from the north end of the bypass.

Ambleside also has Biketreks, which has a few road bikes, but they are kind of limited to Specialized and Scott at the moment. They are opening a dedicated new store at Ings, which is actually the next village along the A591 from Staveley (so real competition for Wheelbase, especially as Ings is on the main road to Windermere and the rest of the Lakes). They will be stocking more than just Spesh and Scott in future - Storck and Mason are allegedly being stocked. The new store opening has been put back numerous times, but I think it's pretty imminent, given the current look of the building.
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    keef66 wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    How are you defining "best"? Biggest range of stock? Best workshop? Most fancy bikes to look at?

From my own experience and others posting on here - Epic Cycles in Ludlow would be a contender

http://epic-cycles.co.uk/

They are also based in a lovely area with some great cycling and challenging hills - Long Mynd, Clee Hill etc

Yep, I'd give them my vote. Despite living in East Anglia that's where I test rode my shortlist of bikes and had the winner built up / fitted. Excellent service, and a lovely part of the world.

They've moved (still in Ludlow) and changed their business model from this bank holiday - less of a shop, more of 'we'll serve you by appointment'. That said, my mate has bought his last three bikes there and has been well pleased with the service.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    If they go anywhere near Derby, try Lovevelo. Crap website, great shop, pleasant and helpful staff. Takes a bit of finding, mind you.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Horizon wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    How are you defining "best"? Biggest range of stock? Best workshop? Most fancy bikes to look at?

From my own experience and others posting on here - Epic Cycles in Ludlow would be a contender

http://epic-cycles.co.uk/

They are also based in a lovely area with some great cycling and challenging hills - Long Mynd, Clee Hill etc

Yep, I'd give them my vote. Despite living in East Anglia that's where I test rode my shortlist of bikes and had the winner built up / fitted. Excellent service, and a lovely part of the world.

They've moved (still in Ludlow) and changed their business model from this bank holiday - less of a shop, more of 'we'll serve you by appointment'. That said, my mate has bought his last three bikes there and has been well pleased with the service.

That's a shame if true. I used to like a browse when I was in the area.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For Birmingham the only shop that has a large collection of high end road bikes is

http://www.bicicielo.com/.

Very dull unless you like Pinarellos though! Nice shop even so but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bespoke Cycles on (or more accurately under) Jermyn Street in Mayfair for unobtainable bling.

Any bike shop that you have to buzz to get into is something different. Really friendly guys inside too. When I can afford a Parlee that's where I'll be going.

I found the Pinerello Bike store on Regents Street really quite rude and boring.
  • There's a way past the destroyed bridge in Staveley so it's all accessible from the north and south. We've used that route a few times now.

Push Cartel former wheelbase employees? Hope it's not the guy who flounced off after I said I don't always wear a helmet when cycling. You can't have a good bike shop staffed by prima donnas like that guy.
  • thebikeboy16
    thebikeboy16 Posts: 108
    edited September 2016
    +1 for Rapha
  • Went into push cartel in Ambleside today. Lovely bikes but I felt so out of place. My bike cost £650 I doubt you could buy the forks on one of their bikes for that.

Bowman bikes plus others that looked really beautiful pieces of work. I had a rucksack on my back and turned to nearly send a stand holding a frame flying. Heart jumping through my mouth at that.

Who buys these bikes? Seriously, I can accept prices up to £2000 if you've got the spare cash but unless you're a pro cyclist seriously why? Why spend so much on a bike? I'm sure there wasn't a bike under £3000 or probably even £4000. Who buys these bikes and why? Is it one upmanship with your roadie mates? Do these bikes offer the normal MAMIL any benefits over a two grand bike?
  • I wouldn't worry about it.
  • I wouldn't worry about it.
    I'm just curious as to why spend money on a £6000+ bike over say a £2500 bike. I doubt most buying them are high category riders/pros. What is the benefit of the extra £3500+ ?? Is it purely about owning something expensive? Anyone got a £7000 parlee bike?
  • You could build up a Bowman with Ultegra, decent finishing kit and a very good set of handbills for under £2k.

Agree that a lot of the other stuff Push Cartel do is pretty high end though.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    I'm just curious as to why spend money on a £6000+ bike over say a £2500 bike. I doubt most buying them are high category riders/pros. What is the benefit of the extra £3500+ ?? Is it purely about owning something expensive? Anyone got a £7000 parlee bike?

Because they can!

For some 6 grand is 6 months wages to others a couple of weeks, I'm sure if you earn't 150k a year you wouldn't ask the question.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I wouldn't worry about it.

It comes down to affordability and priorities. Some pay the price of a decent carbon frame just for a custom paint job. I know someone who has a Parlee and it cost him a lot more than £7k, nearer £12k I think. My best 2 bikes are around £5k each which I guess is my "affordability cut off point". I could possibly afford to pay more, but I can't justify it vs spending money on the house and other things.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Even if I could afford it I wouldn't. My cut off financially would be £2k but I wouldn't even spend that. For me I'm happy with up to £1500. I reckon at double I'd get a lot better bike but 4 or 6 times that?

This is my point, I can't understand the "because i can" view. I am beginning to think I'm a bit too puritanical in my spending habits. Once the bike is fit for purpose and a joy to use, then anything more is extravagance. IMHO there is an improvement in the experience with price, so far I've not reached the point that the improvement is insignificant or unnecessary. I have this idea that there is a point at which the improvements are purely very marginal gains that benefit pros but isn't necessary for typical Sunday club riders and enthusiastic amateurs.

BTW IME (through observing high earning relatives) the more money you earn does not give a linear increase in.disposable income. Once you've got the huge mortgage for the nice house, private schooling for the kids, multiple holidays taken in school holidays, etc. Well my relatives with big incomes tended to survive on maxing out credit card limits. They didn't have the spare cash to waste on £7k bikes. Two incomes and the lowest was north of £150k! The biggest was a lot bigger, embarrassed by talking about it.

Am I alone here in thinking there's a point where something is no longer worth spending more on?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's definitely a case of because I can.

Wife's brother is a forex trader. Bought a bike on a whim. A well specced Orbea Orca which he admits he's ridden 5 times and now sits gathering dust because he's 3 stone overweight and prefers golf.

The biggest tragedy is it's too big for me.... :(

But that's a drop in the ocean compared to what he's spent on Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches and the like. Eye-watering waste of money which I think he's now coming to regret....
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    keef66 wrote:

Wife's brother is a forex trader. Bought a bike on a whim. A well specced Orbea Orca which he admits he's ridden 5 times and now sits gathering dust because he's 3 stone overweight and prefers golf.

But that's a drop in the ocean compared to what he's spent on Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches and the like. Eye-watering waste of money which I think he's now coming to regret....

What size is the orca? Maybe he can donate it to me?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Definitely is a case of because i can. I had to think twice about buying a second hand Defy 1 for £200 and I'm not on poor money, i just think I have a different perspective on vaue to some people.
    I guess there are peop;e who like to flaunt what they have
  • Do you know what my first and possibly only bike purchase if I won big on the lottery? A Croix de fer and only the £1500 version at that. Even if I can I don't believe I would. It's a waste of a good bike IMHO to have me riding it. I think I'd look stupid riding an uber beautiful aero bike costing more than my car. I just don't feel the "because I can" sentiment. I just feel beauty in a bike deserves the rider performance to match.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    All of this is easy to say until it's your money though
    Tashman wrote:
    I guess there are peop;e who like to flaunt what they have

To some maybe but if I earned £200k a year I wouldn't have a nice bike just to flaunt how rich I was. Nothing wrong with appreciating nice things if you can afford it
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    jdee84 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

What size is the orca? Maybe he can donate it to me?

It's a 56 and much though I'd like it, I'm a shortarse and need a 52.

Think I'll offer to sell it for him in the classifieds on here and take a commission...
  • I've ridden bikes all my life never raced just enjoyed cycling. Yes I have a C60 and a Scott CR1 and yes I've also placed an order for one of these http://www.fieldcycles.com Am I rich maybe in some people's eyes yes in others far from it, do I smoke, gamble or do drugs no are my family cared for yes. Why buy expensive things because you can because you've earned it because you've stretched yourself in career progression yeh maybe I do deserve it and who gives a toss if I look like a twat in Lycra .....
  • Anyway…back to the best bike shop…!!
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Even if I can I don't believe I would.

This, right here is the pickle. Many people like to think they're unique and 'this would not happen to me'. Perspectives and viewpoints do change, depending on circumstances. There is not hing amazing or evil about it it's just how it is.

I was quite well met at Moore's, Isleworth, so i like giving business to them, even if they do not stock much to my liking.