Best bike shop in England.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
A number of my Dutch colleagues are coming to England for a holiday and the question was asked what is the best bike shop in England. Obviously i don,t know i,ve lived over 20 years in NL. Could anyone give me an idea as to the best racing bike shop in England. My colleagues want to pay a visit. Thanks in advance.
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    How are you defining "best"? Biggest range of stock? Best workshop? Most fancy bikes to look at?
  • They are happy to travel to anywhere in england just to visit a bike shop?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,134
    best for bling?
    or choice of castelli stuff?
    or certain brands?
    or less common bike brands?
    plus of course location, england isn't huge but it can still be a full day to travel between some places

in west london sigma sport is interesting, there is a good range of bikes, clothing, accessories, but of course you can see it all on the website too so i'm not sure that it counts as justifying a long journey for
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ademort
    They are happy to travel to anywhere in england just to visit a bike shop?

No they are coming to England for a holiday ,one week but would like to visit the best bike shop if possible. By best shop i mean racing bikes and parts. Clothing and accessories are not important.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    MrB123 wrote:
    How are you defining "best"? Biggest range of stock? Best workshop? Most fancy bikes to look at?

From my own experience and others posting on here - Epic Cycles in Ludlow would be a contender

http://epic-cycles.co.uk/

They are also based in a lovely area with some great cycling and challenging hills - Long Mynd, Clee Hill etc
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Whereabouts in England are they visiting? I doubt they'll want to go to Northumberland if they're visiting Cornwall.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ademort
    drlodge wrote:
    Whereabouts in England are they visiting? I doubt they'll want to go to Northumberland if they're visiting Cornwall.

Two days London area.
    One day Birmingham.
    One day Newcastle.
    Two days Lake District.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • I always enjoy a trip to Condor..
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Whistlestop Tour there !
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    http://www.pushcartel.co.uk/ in the lakes high end la de da
    I always try and support http://www.ghyllside.co.uk/
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    arlowood wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

From my own experience and others posting on here - Epic Cycles in Ludlow would be a contender

http://epic-cycles.co.uk/

They are also based in a lovely area with some great cycling and challenging hills - Long Mynd, Clee Hill etc

Yep, I'd give them my vote. Despite living in East Anglia that's where I test rode my shortlist of bikes and had the winner built up / fitted. Excellent service, and a lovely part of the world.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ooh Push Cartel (or Carel as they've spelt it on their site !) looks v posh. I will try and get in next time I'm there to slobber on a Cipollini.
  • mrb123
    ademort wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Two days London area.
    One day Birmingham.
    One day Newcastle.
    Two days Lake District.

Wheelbase when in the Lake District.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Went into push cartel when I was looking for a bike. Well I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on something perfect for my needs. Plus it was newly opened I believe.

Walked in...turned around and walked out. Seriously expensive kit. So expensive that if you have to ask how much you're in the wrong shop. I felt like the Victorian/Dickensian kid with the nose to the sweet shop window who had dared to go in! I left before the boss got "one of his boys" to see me off. Or at least that's how it felt to me.
  • mrb123
    Not a huge amount in Newcastle. Start Cycles is a big shop. A bit further afield Cycle World in Sunderland, Infinity Cycles near Durham (good if you like Cube!). Not much in the North East I'd suggest as being the best bike shop in England though.
  • tangled_metal
    I dare you to go up to a big fella that works at wheelbase and tell him you don't wear a helmet! If you get the fella advising me on lights you'll get a hissy fit and called stupid! Seriously good fun winding him up, if he's even still there.

Last time I went in, there were mostly kids serving with one guy (into good rubber and touring apparently) who was over 30.
  • tangled_metal
    If passing Whalley check the shop out there. Never been but their rep is very good from what I've heard.

Google first after the January floods though. Might not be open.
  • Planet-X or Ribble
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Coffee in the Rapha Shop (unless they re from A'dam). Hire a Boris Bike, drop down to the Pinerello concept store, ride out to Condor Cycles, Afternoon snack in look mum no hands, Ride over to Brick Lane Market and Brick Lane Bikes for the vintage/hipster look and then start the evening...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    ddraver wrote:
    Coffee in the Rapha Shop (unless they re from A'dam). Hire a Boris Bike, drop down to the Pinerello concept store, ride out to Condor Cycles, Afternoon snack in look mum no hands, Ride over to Brick Lane Market and Brick Lane Bikes for the vintage/hipster look and then start the evening...

You forgot Halfords.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Get them to drop in on Dave Hinde on the way up to the Lakes, then whatever other shop you take them to will seem like the best in the world by comparison.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MrB123 wrote:
    ademort wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Two days London area.
    One day Birmingham.
    One day Newcastle.
    Two days Lake District.

Wheelbase when in the Lake District.
    Never been a fan of the place. Sure they've got a great range of bikes but to me it always reminds me of how Arnold Clark would be if it were to venture into bike shops. The sale staff jump on you as soon as you walk in, desperate for a sale because they are down on their sale quota for the week.
    Coming from a mtb background Biketreks in Ambleside is a great place to visit. Really friendly staff who are more than happy for you to just walk around, look at the stock and just talk bikes. Due to the size of the place they've always struggled to accommodate for a good road section, (they set off as primarily a mtb shop afaik) however due to a change in ownership that's changing because they are in the process of opening up a new shop in Ings that'll be dedicated to the road scene, leaving the Ambleside shop to deal with Mtb
    Had a look round pushcartel the last time I was in the area (never knew it was there, even though I've been going to the area for years :oops: ) I'd I have to say it's v v swish. The staff had to follow me round with a mop with the amount of drool I was leaving on the floor looking at all the Cipollini and parlee bikes on show !
    Also remember op, if you're spending two days in the Lake District you HAVE to do a ride in the area. So many beautiful roads and views with some of the most iconic climbs the uk has to offer !!!
  • keef66
    Sod the bike shop, take them round the Fred Whitton over the course of 2 days.
  • ademort
    keef66 wrote:

Funny that you mention the Fred Whitton.Last year i took part in an event 6 times up Alpe,Duez for charity. I was the only one of us to do it 6 times and afterwards my colleagues asked me if that was the hardest day i,d ever had in the saddle. I said it probably is but if we were to take part in the Fred Whitton it would probably be harder. Glad you mentioned it. They are taking bikes i will make sure they have a map of the course on their Garmin. That should be a laugh.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Just off the M1, junction 36/37 you'll find Race Scene in Barnsley. In my opinion one of the best shops around, well worth a visit if you're passing.
  • keef66
    ademort wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Funny that you mention the Fred Whitton.Last year i took part in an event 6 times up Alpe,Duez for charity. I was the only one of us to do it 6 times and afterwards my colleagues asked me if that was the hardest day i,d ever had in the saddle. I said it probably is but if we were to take part in the Fred Whitton it would probably be harder. Glad you mentioned it. They are taking bikes i will make sure they have a map of the course on their Garmin. That should be a laugh.

Plenty of bike shops in Holland. Not so many Honisters or Hardknotts; they'll remember them :D
  • tangled_metal
    Biketreks? MTB and about £2k in pocket it's a good shop. I've been in current Ambleside store and while it's better than the old one it's not that good. Whenever I've been in.there they've said we've got nothing for you. Even when I said I could spend £1000. Another time a young lad seemed intent on b selling me something unsuitable because he was a competitive road cyclist with ambition on.the UK amateur scene. He was trying to sell me a fixie or single speed because he found it very good at improving.his pedal stroke last year over the winter resulting in a better performance earlier in the season. Apart from not being into racing I'd specifically asked about a certain bike nothing like a singlespeed.

I will admit biketreks has slowly been getting better over the years as.catering for more people. As I said MTBer or very keen roadie, perhaps into racing you'll be well catered. Need over £1000 to spend.
  • For Birmingham the only shop that has a large collection of high end road bikes is

http://www.bicicielo.com/.

For best bling in London, Bespoke is the probably the most widely stocked in terms of number of bikes. The best location is Gresham Street:

http://www.bespokecycling.com/contact
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    There is no such thing as a best bike shop in England, there are only ones that are good for different reasons.

If you don't have a reason for going to one in particular then all of them will end up being a short visit and a waste of time to go out of your way for when there's so much to see in this country. Epic is quite nice for example but I couldn't waste more than 30 minutes in there unless I was interested in a specific bike that they happen to have.

That said, if I was coming to this country for a week I wouldn't waste 5 minutes of it in Birmingham let alone a day.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,134
    mfin wrote:
    That said, if I was coming to this country for a week I wouldn't waste 5 minutes of it in Birmingham let alone a day.

not entirely a waste, you could get some curry goat takeaway as you pass through there :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny