Boardman Pro FS 2016

JayX2A
JayX2A Posts: 113
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
I was all for getting a hardtail but the spec on the Boardman along with the current £1200 price has got me interested!

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... kes-46213/

Anyone got one or ridden one? Seems to have all I want apart from it being a Boardman... lol

1 x 11 GX, Pikes, all decent spec for great price. plus routing for stealth dropper which I can afford.

Thoughts? Hows the sizing?

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Just got the 2014 650b. Medium 18" fine for 5'9".

Got a dropper post too with remote. Mine has the Revelation forks and Sram X9 and Guide RS. Preferred the 2x10 riding for the terrain I do. I picked up the last bike in the area for less than £1k.

It's a cracking bit of kit.
  • JayX2A
    Looks like a lot of bike for the money! Would probably be a large as 5ft 11. Hoping local store has one to try for sizing.
  • got one a couple of months ago in the 15% offer they had ( stacked with a few other offers & got it for a smidge over £1000 when all the discounts & vouchers were added up - B.C Discount & 10% off the vouchers i paid the rest with & possibly somat else too - could have been a flash sale when ordered with the 15% added later when they changed the price while i waited for the discounted vouchers to arrive )

the pikes are night and day compared with my Voodoo Bizango's Raidon Lo's which if i am honest felt OK too for the riding i had done to that point ( if you get one make sure they give you the baggy of bits & bob that should come with the bike too as there is a couple of bottomless tokens in there for further tuning of the pikes - or at least there was for me when i collected mine :D - along with a couple of brake related gizmo's ( bleed block & wheel out pad spacer thingy-mi-watsit ( to stop the pads coming together if you pull the brake lever with the wheel out etc )

not done anything too adventurous on it yet ( not had the time or the nice weather when i have had the time sadly ) but it has dealt with a few quick blasts locally to test it out nicely while i experimented with pressures in the tyres, fork & shock ( seems to be you need to go higher than normal psi on the rear shock ( less SAG ) to stop it bottoming out on rougher stuff but that seems to be a common gripe of the Monarch RT & not the bike itself from a little googling.

Although neither front or back suspension has a lockout ( rather liked that feature of the Raidon's on the Bizango when on the road ) the adjustments available do a decent enough job of almost locking out the suspension when needed.

many folks seem to complain about the Guide R brakes too but there again, i dont see a problem with them compared with the lower end shimano stuff on my bizango or the RS-785's on my weekend road bike, there is plenty of power & such in them for me.

the only gripes i have about the bike are nothing gripes really :-

1st, the 1x11 setup lacks range for use on the road/flat as you spin out far too quickly ( told you it was a nothing gripe given its an off road bike lol )

2nd, you have to remember to leave the bike in 4th - 6th gear if you plan on moving the bike around on the back wheel ( backwards ) for storage, this is by far my biggest gripe as i have to do this for a fair distance with all mine to get them into there storage location, all the other bikes are fine with wheatever gear i leave em in, but the FS pro's 1x gearing means the chainline needs to be in its straight position otherwise it forces itself out of gear & locks out the rear wheel ( the chain is spanning 3 or so sprockets on the cassette & the mech is held firm in another gear so everything stops till you get the bike/mech in the right gear combo to carry on trouble free. ( i assume - possibly incorrectly - its a trait of the 1x gearing as my 2x11 road bike does not have this complaint, or at least not had it YET )
  • I got the 2014 FS Team and I love it, its lower spec than the Pro but still a very capable bike. The new models look even better so you cant go wrong really.
    BTW mines 19" and I am 5'11
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Considering this bike myself. Re the 1 x 11 setup - is it simple enough to swap out the FSA 32t front chainring for a 36t to aid with the "spinning out on the flats" issue?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Nasha48 wrote:
    Considering this bike myself. Re the 1 x 11 setup - is it simple enough to swap out the FSA 32t front chainring for a 36t to aid with the "spinning out on the flats" issue?

Yes just remember to get the correct BCD (bolt circle Diameter) size chain ring to fit.
  • nasha48
    Yeh, cheers swod. Looking again at the FSA Comet 32t that it comes with, it almost looks like it's a one-piece crank + chainring meaning it would need a full replacement as opposed to just a 36t ring added with the same BCD?
  • swod1
    Nasha48 wrote:
    Yeh, cheers swod. Looking again at the FSA Comet 32t that it comes with, it almost looks like it's a one-piece crank + chainring meaning it would need a full replacement as opposed to just a 36t ring added with the same BCD?

Does it not use a 4 bolt configuration even though some of the newer cranks now use a direct mount chain ring.

So whatever mounting style it uses just get a replacement in the size you want.
  • for me the spinning out is a mere minor gripe ( as i say it only happened so far on the road around the 32ish mph mark so well out of the bikes intended location of offroad in the trails ) so its probably more than good enough for off road use ( it gives a lovely granny gear for the uphills though so its a compromise whichever way you go - but as i noticed it i thought it worth a mention. )

had a looksy at the piccies i have here @ work & it does indeed look to be a one piece unit from the outside BUT for all i know the chainring may bolt on from the otherside into the cranks spider thingy so will try & remember to have a gander when i get home tonight & report back.
  • swod1
    had a looksy at the piccies i have here @ work & it does indeed look to be a one piece unit from the outside BUT for all i know the chainring may bolt on from the otherside into the cranks spider thingy so will try & remember to have a gander when i get home tonight & report back.

Yes that is the case some new cranks race face and sram the chain ring mounts directly on to the crank and doesn't use any bolts from the ones I have seen.
  • swod1 wrote:
    Nasha48 wrote:

Does it not use a 4 bolt configuration even though some of the newer cranks now use a direct mount chain ring.

So whatever mounting style it uses just get a replacement in the size you want.

if it is bolted then i assume its a 3 bolt pattern.

175293c?$imageZoomRetina$&w=6000&h=6000

http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/175293c?$imageZoomRetina$&w=6000&h=6000
  • I think the Pro has FSA chainset/cranks, I had to replace the whole thing because my local shop could not source FSA 3 bolt chain rings...
  • JayX2A
    Not 100% on buying one yet - might just stick with a HT but going to Halfords to have a look anyway!
  • treat yourself, buy a HT & an FS :D

either way, you may find that you wont see one of the FS pro bikes instore unless its a bigger store OR the store you go into has one built awaiting collection / Staff own one etc

both my closest halfords dont stock any boardmans over the 1K price tag & if honest dont remember seing any FS bikes of either price ( but 1 of them does have the odd pinnerello @ 2.5K etc on display from time to time ) & its been the same with all other stores i have ventured into while grabbing bargains etc - the FS pro & Road Pro Carbon are not stocked as display models & are order in only, the only 1 i saw before i bought mine was a store i ventured into as a staff member came in for his shift on his FS pro so i had a butchers at it & then kept an eye on the website for a bargain price to arrive etc. ( while buying in a few spares in prep for its eventual arrival etc ( tyres & brake pads etc )
  • nasha48
    Got a Pro FS being ordered in to local store especially this weekend, only for a test ride too.
  • cant beat that for service :D

some folks may have bad things to say about halfords & its less than top notch staff at some stores, but find a good store or store with good staff & you have no problems at all
  • JayX2A
    My local usually has some FS in, but probably the model down. Not sure if they share same frame sizing. Then off to try a Whyte 909 (refurb) direct from whyte themselves.
  • just remembered to check on the chainring & it does indeed look removable ( to my untrained eye at least )

it is a 3 fixing pattern though if it is ( 2 seen in the above piccy & 1 behing the crank arm ) seen no signs of a BCD measurement on it though.
  • JayX2A
    My local has the model down in 19" and asked the bloke to sit on it and he said it would be too small as it's a 16" lol. It was the 19" so not great start!

Build wise it looks ok, finish is nice enough and if you take in to consideration the price it's a very good deal!

Off to look at the Whyte now.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Mine has been fantastic (except that I broke a hanger on the trails last night). I'm a roadie who does a trail centre once a week so i don't thrash it like some people. Ordered it over a Canyon and bang for buck no complaints. Not noticed any rear wheel lock when moving the bike around.

Got mine in a similar fashion to someone up top, discount + BC etc. Only thing it misses is a proper dropper post.

Looks better in the flesh too, but then again it ends up covered in mud so who cares.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • fossyant
    I'm a roadie, have always been for the last 30 years, but dabbled with MTB's since they came out. I have an early 90's Diamond Back Ascent with XT and LX. Cracking bike, been in enough crashes and bent a few cars in it's time. Unfortunately, I was hit on my commute to work last year, on my fixed gear, and broke my spine badly. I'm getting back up, but don't want to be on the road at the moment, certainly never commuting again.

The old DB was a bit harsh off road, so I just so happened to pick up the 2014 FS Pro - there weren't any 2016 models anywhere, but being a roadie, I wanted the 2x10 for climbing as there are lots of XC in the Peaks, and I use the canal to get to the trails, so with 1x I'd be spinning out.

For the money, it's a great bit of kit, and nothing I'd be too upset at scratching it - I have a few expensive road bikes, and one was specifically made for me 26 years ago and is unique.

I got a dropper post for £75 brand new off ebay, just turned out to be Wiggle selling a post that had a slight mark on the inserted part of the post. It's an X-fusion hilo SL, that should have been £250.

I'm a bit of a chicken at the minute on downhill's, given my injuries, but the full suspension, with the dropper, means I don't feel the bike is about to stop and tip me over at every pebble - like the 90's bike does.

The Sram x9 kit works superbly, even caked in crap. Positive changes all the time. The clutch mech's are a revelation, no more chain slap at all, and no chain suck. Not had one failed change despite pushing it hard.
  • fossyant
    If you can get one, go for it. The suspension is worth most of the bike at the current prices.
  • TheGava
    TheGava Posts: 220
    Absolutely loving my Boardman... Changed a few things on it!! Personal preference etc!!

3D48FB39-9343-4B46-8C92-603A9ABCCBE3.jpg

BUY a new mech hanger ASAP!! Mine snapped after a week, and last week at Dalby my mates snapped also... 2 in the space of 3 weeks... (Cheese)

I went for the Large and I'm 6,2! Didn't buy from Halfords got mine from Cycle republic. Sister company to Halfords but very impressed with the service I received, top guys at the Notts store!!

Enjoy it....
  • nasha48
    Def makes for tempting reading all this. Gava - you swapped out the race face cranks and stuck an XT on. Is that with 36t on it? Bit worried, as fossyant says, of spinning out regularly on the predominantly flat terrain here in the south. Wondering on finding an appropriate swap out myself if the purchase does happen, anyone know if a 38t front ring is easily available or would this be too much to rely on for all the short sharp climbs when you do hit a few?
  • TheGava
    Nasha48 wrote:
    Gava - you swapped out the race face cranks and stuck an XT on. Is that with 36t on it?

It's a 34.. Never had any problems spinning out... If I wanna go fast on flat stuff then I'll use my road bike!!
  • nasha48
    Yeh, fair comment. Just back from halfords and a test ride. Do like it a lot. Think i needed a fair bit mor air in the rear shock as it did feel v soft. Also, though an inch shorter at 6'1", i thought the cockpit was a shade tight. Room for saddle to go back a bit but clearly that affects the load on the shock a bit more. Gears felt tight, pike is just lovely and like the matte finish on the frame. Though prob not bedded in, i wasnt as impressed as I thought I'd be with the brake power. Gava - not wanting to be rude but what did it cost you to swap out the chainset to the XT? And did you keep the original BB or have to change it for this? Finally, when you shopped for it did you come across any alternative rings/cranks that would fit the bill?
  • TheGava
    The brakes come into there own.. I have a set of xt that I was gonna change across but I'm impressed so keeping them on! I've changed the whole group set to xt 1x10 that inc a new shimano BB! FSA wasn't compatable! I'm liking the cockpit, climbs well and goes down even better! My old bike was the Giant Trance which was awesome but I think the Boardman climbs better.....

It was always my plan to take the sram groupset off. I just prefer Shimano... (Didn't cost anything as I had the xt groups spare in the shed) Never looked at other rings with a bcd for the fsa chainset

Oh and if you go for a dropper post , I went for the Giant contact switch. Internal routing (cable) so no bleeding... It has a
    Layback so cockpit stays the same. Only thing it's a 30.9 post so I bought a U.S.E shim to fit the frame! I'm 19stone and it's not slipped on 4 hard rides!
  • nasha48
    Wow, you're old bike was a Trance and you rate this better at climbing! Trance is what i would get if i had the extra cash, never fails to impress in the reviews and a whole host of people seem to have had one at some point. Ive got XT brakes on my existing steed and was considering swapping them for the Guide brakes on the FS Pro if i do get it. However, based on your comment i would give them time to bed in then. Also, i did manage to source some front ring options (i think) via FSA website. Looks like its a modular system chainset it comes with and rings can be swapped for a fair variety of tooth options. Only issue appears to be finding an online retailer that sells them.
    Thanks for your replies so far Gava, all helpful stuff. Do like those new wheels you fitted by the way. Re dropper - yes, but think I'd have to stick to the original post as I'm gonna find it pretty hard to justify spending too much more cash after buying the bike itself! Before i forget, did the bike come with bottomless tokens for the pikes if so required?
  • JayX2A
    TheGava wrote:
    Absolutely loving my Boardman... Changed a few things on it!! Personal preference etc!!

3D48FB39-9343-4B46-8C92-603A9ABCCBE3.jpg

BUY a new mech hanger ASAP!! Mine snapped after a week, and last week at Dalby my mates snapped also... 2 in the space of 3 weeks... (Cheese)

I went for the Large and I'm 6,2! Didn't buy from Halfords got mine from Cycle republic. Sister company to Halfords but very impressed with the service I received, top guys at the Notts store!!

Enjoy it....

Looks great! Still not bought as cant find it or next model down to try for size. Is there much standover?

I'm 5ft 11.
  • CBiscuit
    CBiscuit Posts: 27
    Torn between one of these myself or the whyte 901 hardtail :( halfords don't have one in stock and had to order the 901 just to have a look.