300miler

ozzy1000
ozzy1000 Posts: 73
edited August 2016 in Tour & expedition
hi all,

myself and some buddies are planning on riding a 24hr 300miler at the weekend. We have a rudimentary route which is basically based on a section of a fastest LETJOG concept. We're not so fussed about scenic routes, just want to cover 300miles in a one'r for the first time, but we want it to be reasonably dramatic so have opted for starting locally and just riding north for 300 then having a mate with a van pick us up from a pub.
I could ride the first 150 or so without gps, just based on signs and knowledge. But as we get beyond Shrewsbury and close to liverpool we leave the realms of my knowledge. Would anyone mind having a look at the below google route and letting me know what the roads are like around the northern 100 or so? its important that any changes we make are easy to navigate and minimum climbing.. so local lanes are out :)

https://goo.gl/maps/gEE49KgBp8p

Many thanks,

O

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Assuming you are going to start riding in the morning the last section of your ride will be over night. Wouldn't it make more sense to start somewhere and ride back. That way you would be navigating in the light and when fresh. For the night section you would know the way and wouldn't need to be consulting GPS devices/signs/maps when feeling tired.

Or why not a round trip. That way if there is a head wind, this weekend there's a slight WNW you won't spend the whole ride going into it. I just put Tiverton - Gloucester round trip into this and dragged the Northerly journey over into Wales and it was 272 miles, you could go around the 'Triangle' to Exeter to add the other 28 miles.
    http://cycle.travel/map
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    isn't 300 miles in 24 hours a bit ambitious, considering navigating etc? That's 20 Km/h if you never stop... presumably you will stop at least twice for some proper food, plus lots of shorter stops for physiological reasons
    left the forum March 2023
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    If you wait until next Spring you can do this, which has a fully planned route. Exeter to Penzance and back 600 km (375 miles) with 8200 m of climbing. If you do it at the 25 kph upper limit it will take you 24 hours. A bargain at £15.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-474/
  • ugo.santalucia
    whoof wrote:
    If you wait until next Spring you can do this, which has a fully planned route. Exeter to Penzance and back 600 km (375 miles) with 8200 m of climbing. If you do it at the 25 kph upper limit it will take you 24 hours. A bargain at £15.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-474/

Probably need to wee in your shorts to keep that average... if not even crap as you pedal
  • ozzy1000
    I don't think the distance/pace is too ambitous, I've done a couple of 200 mile rides (with more total ascent than this 300 route) where I've averaged around 15-16mph (24-26kph), with total ride times of around 16hrs. So we'd have another 8hrs for a nearly flat additional century. Peddaling at that pace isn't the issue, its the discomfort of sitting in that position for so long that eats at me. But provided I can stay sat on my bike I reckon I can pedal at 15mph/24kph for 20hrs, giving us 4 hours of stop time.

that google map didn't really work, so below is my strava route. We've picked it for minimum accent and minimum junctions, I wouldn't be supprised if we could do most of it purely on roads signs but we'll have back up Garmin/GPS anyway. My post was more about the traffic/road conditions more than anything, I've not ridden these roads so don't know how bad traffic can be. The first A38 section is familiar and will be busy, but that's fine, we all know it well. Then once beyond the River severn and up the wye valley we'll be getting late into saturday evening and hopefully quieter roads, then we'll just head north up the main trunk roads through the middle of the night getting close to liverpool by breakfast, so hopefully even if the roads are a bit bigger than anticipated they'll be quiet at that time.

https://www.strava.com/routes/5542812

O
  • ugo.santalucia
    ozzy1000 wrote:
    Peddaling at that pace isn't the issue, its the discomfort of sitting in that position for so long that eats at me.

Of course, I could pedal at that speed almost indefinitely, it's the rest of the body that screams for rest... I think the jump from 16 hours to 24 is massive and you have you allow for extra rest time... I would conservatively put 250 miles as a more realistic proposition... it comes to 400 Km if you want a round number to aim to... you just have to switch from imperial to metric :wink:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You're venturing into my patch further up and those aren't the kind of roads I'd be riding on. I know a guy was killed on the 483 this year in broad daylight. Its basically a motorway.

When will you be riding through the Mersey Tunnel ?

Cycling through the Tunnel :
    Through the Queensway Tunnel, they are not allowed between the hours of 6:00am to 8:00pm, Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 8:00pm on Saturday and 8:00am to 9:00pm on Sunday. Please note, the time limits during a Sunday are only operational between 1st April and 30th September inclusive

I'd seriously rethink your route. You're just using A roads for ease of use and ignoring safety. Even if traffic is light - truckers won't be expecting to see cyclists there.
  • ozzy1000
    ozzy1000 wrote:
    Peddaling at that pace isn't the issue, its the discomfort of sitting in that position for so long that eats at me.

Of course, I could pedal at that speed almost indefinitely, it's the rest of the body that screams for rest... I think the jump from 16 hours to 24 is massive and you have you allow for extra rest time... I would conservatively put 250 miles as a more realistic proposition... it comes to 400 Km if you want a round number to aim to... you just have to switch from imperial to metric :wink:

300 is the target... that's what we all want to do and everyone in our group has ridden double centuries, 24hour events or similar. So its possible.. we have a mate in a van coming to fetch us from a pub at our destination so if it does go belly up we'll just get picked up from somewhere else. I'd be disappointed to not cover at least 250. I rode 200 about 4 weeks ago and I could have easily latched another Sunday morning ride on the end just by gritting my teeth for a bit longer. I really think these endurance type rides are largely a mental wrestling match, its about managing your head more than anything, I normally get a bit low around the 160mile mark, or about 2hours after the suns up on an overnight ride. I carry ibuprofen, caffine gels and music for when I notice this, just go into my own little world for bit. I also have plan for trying to keep some mobility in my upper back/shoulders (that's my weakest point). Previously I've just ridden our the saddle a bit, or ridden no handed for a minute or so to stretch, but i've researched a few specific excerises; reverse shrugs, elbow presses etc, to try and pump those specific muscles to ease them up, I'll make a point of doing them properly every time we stop for pee/food.

Riding at 15 give 4 hours for breaks. On the doubles I've done I've found it better to have a proper meal around the 100-120mile mark, I know on rides upto a 100 stopping for long periods can make getting going again hard, but on longer rides I find it better to allow a bit of proper recovery, sit down, hot meal of savoury food etc.. So our plan is to do this after the first century somewhere around hereford, then again have a sit down breakfast up north somewhere.

p.s. - nothing wrong with imperial, you don't hear many clubs advertising their weekday evening 16k tt's do you? ;)
  • ozzy1000
    Fenix wrote:
    You're venturing into my patch further up and those aren't the kind of roads I'd be riding on. I know a guy was killed on the 483 this year in broad daylight. Its basically a motorway.

Through the Queensway Tunnel, they are not allowed between the hours of 6:00am to 8:00pm, Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 8:00pm on Saturday and 8:00am to 9:00pm on Sunday. Please note, the time limits during a Sunday are only operational between 1st April and 30th September inclusive

I'd seriously rethink your route. You're just using A roads for ease of use and ignoring safety. Even if traffic is light - truckers won't be expecting to see cyclists there.

Thankyou! this is the kind of response I've been looking for! can you offer any suggestions? I had actually read about this as a route (minus the mersey crossing) in a thread about people doing LETJGOG as fast as possible.
  • ozzy1000
    Fenix wrote:

I've just looked at the A483 bit, would it be better to take the A49 from Shrewsbury to Whitchurch then A41 to Chester instead?
  • fenix
    You need to go down to the next level of roads really - lower speed - more junctions. It will take more planning and more chance of getting lost - but it will be a lot safer.

Google streetview is great for getting an idea of what kind of roads you'll be on.

Wouldn't you have more fun doing some b*stard hilly ride round Wales though ? 300 miles as a group sounds a right PITA.
  • ozzy1000
    Fenix wrote:
    You need to go down to the next level of roads really - lower speed - more junctions. It will take more planning and more chance of getting lost - but it will be a lot safer.

Google streetview is great for getting an idea of what kind of roads you'll be on.

Wouldn't you have more fun doing some b*stard hilly ride round Wales though ? 300 miles as a group sounds a right PITA.

lol, its actually quite a good laugh, we all ride together anyway and everyone goes slightly bonkers at some point, there's lots of banter about how plain stupid the whole idea is, etc etc etc.. and being able to hide from the wind is a big advantage when you're having a tired moment.

I have street viewed sections of most of it. I know the first 80-100miles anyway and I know its busy but kind of ok (A38). from street view the A466 looks pleasant and small, the A49 looks similar to the A38??.

https://goo.gl/maps/SkLtAm9qxar

https://goo.gl/maps/xFHJFFQ9Ev62

Any furhter input is more than welcome, do you have any local popular routes we could nick sections of?

many thanks, O
  • ozzy1000
    Fenix wrote:

how about this;

https://www.strava.com/routes/5915511

its a little bit more ascent and fiddlier from Shrewsbury onwards, but smaller roads
  • ugo.santalucia
    It seems to me that for the sake of speed you are compromising safety, travelling on dreadful roads. If you have a decent GPS device, you can surely plan something much better, out of lanes, B and unclassified roads. You won't go as far north, but you will still make the distance you want to cover, although progress can be slower.

Under no circumstance I would cycle on the roads you picked in full daylight, even more so at night
  • fenix
    That new route looks far better to me and I'd have no problems with the roads you're using by me. Now you're onto country lanes though so if its night you'll need very good lights and you will be going slower - road surfaces aren't the best.

Not sure of the roads out to Formby though - never cycled round there as its a bit dull...
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I live in Shropshire and avoid the A49 unless absolutely essential. It is really unpleasant for cycling with fast and heavy traffic. Department of Transport figures show the A49 between Ludlow, Shrewsbury and Whitchurch is the most dangerous in the county and there have been regular campaigns over the years for improvements to reduce the death toll.
  • ozzy1000
    Mercia Man wrote:
    I live in Shropshire and avoid the A49 unless absolutely essential. It is really unpleasant for cycling with fast and heavy traffic. Department of Transport figures show the A49 between Ludlow, Shrewsbury and Whitchurch is the most dangerous in the county and there have been regular campaigns over the years for improvements to reduce the death toll.

Thanks for this, this is exactly the kind of information I'm after. I've just rejigged it a bit to get off that section of road and also onto a B road and smaller A road before Hereford, but it looks like we'd still have get funneled onto it for a 6 mile section before Shrewsbury at around 1am. But besides that section we can avoid the A49 all together. Any chance you could let me know what you think, would it be worth going a longer way around to avoid even that section? Again, the road looks quite tame on Google street view, so I'd value your opinion,

many thanks,

O
  • ozzy1000
    Fenix wrote:
    That new route looks far better to me and I'd have no problems with the roads you're using by me. Now you're onto country lanes though so if its night you'll need very good lights and you will be going slower - road surfaces aren't the best.

Not sure of the roads out to Formby though - never cycled round there as its a bit dull...

lol, we're only heading that way (Formby) because a friend of mine wants an icecream at Southport...... :)
  • fenix
    I'd drop down into Parkgate on the Wirral instead then. Nicholls icecream. Nom nom nom.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Good work Ozzy, I think that's a nice challenge to set yourself, and has a little bit of everything, except mountains of course.
    I think the eating/drinking and night riding elements will be the most interesting, - well, they would be for me anyway. Three o'clock in the morning can be a bit disorientating!
    Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
  • mercia_man
    ozzy1000 wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:

Thanks for this, this is exactly the kind of information I'm after. I've just rejigged it a bit to get off that section of road and also onto a B road and smaller A road before Hereford, but it looks like we'd still have get funneled onto it for a 6 mile section before Shrewsbury at around 1am. But besides that section we can avoid the A49 all together. Any chance you could let me know what you think, would it be worth going a longer way around to avoid even that section? Again, the road looks quite tame on Google street view, so I'd value your opinion,

many thanks,

O

Had a look at your revised route and it looks much better. I can recommend a safer route from Church Stretton to Shrewsbury - it's the standard route that most local cycling groups take.

From Church Stretton take the B4370 north through All Stretton and then first right on an unclassified lane over the railway to A49. Cross straight over onto the unclassified old Roman road which is straight, flat and easy going and turn left to Longnor. Then use unclassified lanes north through Little Ryton and Condover to join A49 just before Bayston Hill.
  • ozzy1000
    Fenix wrote:
    I'd drop down into Parkgate on the Wirral instead then. Nicholls icecream. Nom nom nom.

you see; local knowledge! that's why i came on here!! :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're crossing the Mersey, for the sake of your lungs I'd take the ferry. Bit of a breather and a nicer view than the tunnel.
  • ozzy1000
    keef66 wrote:
    If you're crossing the Mersey, for the sake of your lungs I'd take the ferry. Bit of a breather and a nicer view than the tunnel.

thanks, that was also our preference and an essential feature of the whole jolly. As southern lads getting a ferry across the mersey has to be done. From the website it looks like they run from 10am on Sunday so we might be a bit early but will take the time to find food.
  • ozzy1000
    Harry-S wrote:
    Good work Ozzy, I think that's a nice challenge to set yourself, and has a little bit of everything, except mountains of course.
    I think the eating/drinking and night riding elements will be the most interesting, - well, they would be for me anyway. Three o'clock in the morning can be a bit disorientating!
    Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

thanks! I've done a few night rides, I actually quite enjoy them in a weird way, I love how surreal things are when there's practically nothing on the road and its just you and your mates in the bubble of bike lights. Its the recovery when its all over I don't like, I'm usually rough for about a week when I've missed a night sleep in favor of cycling.
  • ozzy1000
    [/quote]

Had a look at your revised route and it looks much better. I can recommend a safer route from Church Stretton to Shrewsbury - it's the standard route that most local cycling groups take.

From Church Stretton take the B4370 north through All Stretton and then first right on an unclassified lane over the railway to A49. Cross straight over onto the unclassified old Roman road which is straight, flat and easy going and turn left to Longnor. Then use unclassified lanes north through Little Ryton and Condover to join A49 just before Bayston Hill.[/quote]

thanks again!! how about this, is this what you mean?

• mercia_man
    ozzy1000 wrote:

From Church Stretton take the B4370 north through All Stretton and then first right on an unclassified lane over the railway to A49. Cross straight over onto the unclassified old Roman road which is straight, flat and easy going and turn left to Longnor. Then use unclassified lanes north through Little Ryton and Condover to join A49 just before Bayston Hill.[/quote]

thanks again!! how about this, is this what you mean?

https://www.strava.com/routes/5915511[/quote]

That's the route. It's a pleasant and flat ride bypassing the A49 stretch where a cyclist was killed at night in 2014, despite wearing hi-vis yellow clothing and having flashing lights, by a hit and run lorry driver. The trucker was given a suspended jail sentence. He said he wasn't aware he had hit anything and thought his lorry must have been damaged in the yard. There's a lot of lorries on the A49.

An alternative route from south to north through Shropshire is the quiet A488 via Bishop's Castle and Minsterley to Shrewsbury. I live just off the A488 and it's obviously popular with End-to-Enders, both individuals and organised groups, judging by the number I see while out on training rides. It can be accessed via the quiet A489 from Just north of Craven Arms. Your group would probably average higher speeds along there with easier navigating than the old Roman road route.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Not much of a detour to get to Wallings ice cream parlour near Garstang. Shuts at 8pm on a Sunday.
    More problems but still living....
  • ozzy1000
    hi again,

I have a confession to make... I carefully spent ages planning my route taking into consideration all your very helpful advice, but we got to Hereford and had dinner in a nice little mexican place (ran by a welsh bloke) where he reckoned the A roads would be totally dead, so my lovingly planned route was ditched in favour of big roads... They were very clear, from midnight to dawn we saw just a handful for cars and the lorries only started again at about 6am.. It was great ride, a really good craic with the lads and we finished with a steak and pint. It was really quite doable, I didn't really find it hard, the 200 I did a few weeks ago was harder. Next year we plan to ride from Tiverton to Scotland with only food/water breaks :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/660319477
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bloody good effort! Impressive stuff.