Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

How to feed long rides

rob39rob39 Posts: 479
Due to my location my rides are in the back end of the middle of no where and very hilly 4000ft + of climbing. So when attempting a long ride 70 miles how do you hydrate when their are no shops

• imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,025
    I usually take a couple of bottles and carry them on the bike.
  • marcusjbmarcusjb Posts: 2,412
    As above, two larger bottles.

If you need a refill, you'll generally receive good responses from people out in their gardens etc.

You don't say where you are, but on the continent in particular, graveyards usually have a tap.

If you are truly the back end of the middle of nowhere, then fast flowing streams are going to generally be fine.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,844
    Rob another option is to carry a couple of disposable water bottles in your jersey pockets and use them to top up your main bottles and either squash them down when empty or put in a bin. Camelback have a collapsible bottle as another option so you just refill as required. Another option is double bottle holders for behind the saddle.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Two large bottles typically do me for a long ride.

I refuse to believe you can't find a shop/petrol station/cafe somewhere on a 70 mile ride though.
  • FlâneurFlâneur Posts: 3,027
    70 miles in this country should see you pass something be it a cafe/garage/corner shop/ spar (cycling in Wales Mid and North has taught me there is always something even if you need to hit a proper road for a few miles).

But should you be out early hours or in the late hours and require more than 1.5L I'd go with a saddle mounted bottle cage, 2 more bottles so another litre at least.

I know when I have been mtbing (and hiking/running) I've used fast flowing streams without ill affect. Do give the bottle a smell tho.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,824
    Can you fit 1 litre bottles in your cages? 2 litres should be enough for 70 miles, and a snack bar of some sort at mid ride.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
    If your not careful riding over rough roads you will lose the bigger bottles, hit a crack in the tarmac going downhill on a sportive my big 750 bottle popped out and skidded off. Luckily people behind me missed it.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 25,689
    rob39 wrote:
    Due to my location my rides are in the back end of the middle of no where and very hilly 4000ft + of climbing. So when attempting a long ride 70 miles how do you hydrate when their are no shops

If it's 4000ft over 70 miles, I'd say they are not hilly at all. 2 large bottles should be plenty for 70 miles. Yesterday I did 62 with one 750 ml bottle (hottest day of the year, albeit I went out in the morning)
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,328
    oxoman wrote:
    If your not careful riding over rough roads you will lose the bigger bottles, hit a crack in the tarmac going downhill on a sportive my big 750 bottle popped out and skidded off. Luckily people behind me missed it.

Not a problem if your bottle is snug in the cage - if it's not just wrap a bit of insulating tape round the cage with a bit of rubber or foam under if it is really loose. No excuse really for people to lose bottles especially in a race or big sportive where you could end up taking someone out.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
    If you watch the TDF close enough you would be surprised how many come out of there cages. It happens but mainly bigger bottles when full.