I had made this Pelephant for bike

deanchan2016
deanchan2016 Posts: 12
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I had made this design called" Pelephant" which can be a prop supporting bike, what do you think?

13308505_247486138959773_6514711871048325019_o-e1465412846886.jpg?fit=1100%2C976

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Does it replace the starboard chain stay?

It will be useful in a very narrow range of conditions - dead flat, nothing to lean on, hard surface - and unless you have some sort of a brake lock, it's still going to be unstable. Nice drillium chainring, by the way.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Giraffoto wrote:

It will be useful in a very narrow range of conditions - dead flat, nothing to lean on, hard surface - and unless you have some sort of a brake lock, it's still going to be unstable. Nice drillium chainring, by the way.

Modern criticism at its best, like an iron fist in a velvet glove :-)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    Nope, not going to be a success with that design, sorry.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    May not be very effective on a windy day.

Nice name though.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Solution to a problem that nobody ever knew existed...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    30 years of cycling and never needed a pedal that turns into a stand.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    One word, clipless...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • deanchan2016
    edited July 2016
    With Cans vs With Pelephant
    attachment.php?attachmentid=531796&d=1469153441
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I thought 'hipsters' just trackstand?
    Is this the result of someone spiking your latte?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    i like the name 'pelephant'
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I can't see how this isn't plain dangerous. Surely a bunch of things could happen if you take your foot off it whilst cycling?

As above, it would rarely work on all surfaces, also affected per install by differing crank lengths, bb drops and tyre profile. Not even sure it wouldn't often rotate out the way to be honest and the bike fall over.

Nice try, inventing things can be difficult but that one won't get anywhere anyway.
  • mfin
    This is in the wrong section.

Maaaaybe it's a joke too?
  • mfin wrote:
    This is in the wrong section.

Maaaaybe it's a joke too?

Both LHS & RHS pedals have the parking feature.
  • mfin wrote:
    I can't see how this isn't plain dangerous. Surely a bunch of things could happen if you take your foot off it whilst cycling?

As above, it would rarely work on all surfaces, also affected per install by differing crank lengths, bb drops and tyre profile. Not even sure it wouldn't often rotate out the way to be honest and the bike fall over.

Nice try, inventing things can be difficult but that one won't get anywhere anyway.

I make some secrets in the pedal that the rotation won't be happened during parking but smoothly rotating during cycling.

Please see this clip for how it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72A3zzlBOtE
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    I knew it. Hipsters, coffee shops and silly handlebars.

The door is that way
    >
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I get the idea, but a bike balanced on that thing is far too easily knocked over. I would never use it, rather I would rest the bike against a wall or railing, and lock it up.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Dont spend another penny on it. I'm out!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    How about inventing some other way of keeping a bike upright? Kickstand anyone?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

Modern criticism at its best, like an iron fist in a velvet glove :-)

Criticism sandwich anyone?
  • mfin
    drlodge wrote:
    I get the idea, but a bike balanced on that thing is far too easily knocked over. I would never use it, rather I would rest the bike against a wall or railing, and lock it up.

Correct.

This is one of those ideas where it does now look like someone is spending their money on but it won't work. Well it might 'work' in certain terms but I mean it won't be successful and sell loads. I can't think of a single cyclist I know who would pay for it myself (or put it on their bike if it was completely free to be honest!).
  • craker wrote:

Basically, I am not designing a very supportive kickstand but just a prop!
    The main function of the prop is to position the bike perfectly upright and balanced rather than leaning.

Maybe I don't describe it precisely, but yanko design got my idea.

http://www.yankodesign.com/2016/06/07/the-photo-friendly-kickstand/
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Great for fixie riders on flats - fk-all use for anything else.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    craker wrote:

The main function of the prop is to position the bike perfectly upright and balanced rather than leaning.

I understand *what* you are designing, but don't understand *why* i.e. what practical use does it have other than propping up a bike for a photo? Your market is pretty darn small.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mfin
    craker wrote:

Well, they'll obviously feature anything. It's pointless in function, "The main function of the prop is to position the bike perfectly upright and balanced rather than leaning" ...people have been screaming for that have they?

Is this actually supposed to be a commercial product? If so, your only hope is a few hipsters buy it thinking it is cool for some reason.
  • deanchan2016
    edited July 2016
    Anyway, thanks for all who appreciate Pelephant. More pic for you.

large-adpic1-1469434936-84460.jpg
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    A stick found near a tree will do the same job. Can usualy find one close by. Thats what i use.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    dwanes wrote:
    A stick found near a tree will do the same job. Can usualy find one close by. Thats what i use.

Yep.

C506.jpg

2B2F0515-D2B1-41EB-A943-D96D3E298212_zps742kks78.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    My my, I see the standards are dropping there NapD! A stick I can deal with but there can be no excuse for the crank angles there.
  • mct88
    mct88 Posts: 36
    Any excuse to show off a Colnago! Wonderful looking machine.

Pelephant - nah.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    dwanes wrote:

Yep.

C506.jpg

2B2F0515-D2B1-41EB-A943-D96D3E298212_zps742kks78.jpg

But Pelephant can help you to take photo in perspective view

large-adpic2-1469505250-84460.jpg