Boris Johnson is foreign secretary?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lookyhere wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Yebbut.

The May may be cuter than we think. Get the Leavers inside pixxing out rather than the other way round.

Put Leavers into the 3 key slots where they have to deliver and be seen to deliver, not just soundbite as per usual Bojo boxxox, real upside. You lot got us into this omnishambles, ok crack on and get this bright new future you promised us all.

Yes but .... TM has also said we face a bright new future, if or rather when these fcukwits fcuk up, she ll get the blame too.

Naah. She voted remain. She is involving the biggest Brexiters in her cabinet as she can and putting the responsibility of sorting out what they wanted on them. When they make an utter dogs breakfast of it, hopefully the result will be far less extreme than the Brexiters would want and TM can blame that on them themselves.

Either that or she just has far more of a sense of humour than anyone has given her credit for.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,883
    His first speech with the French was booed so.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Bo Duke wrote:
    By definition, as foreign minister the diplomacy aspect is top of his agenda.

'Black and white' means something is obvious.

'Hello boys' refers to a lingerie advert which Boris might just utter when he meets his counterparts for the first time.

Milk and sugar SC?

Words random writing you

There is a minister for Brexit - not Boris
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    So was Froome. So what? What did you expect?

Also to say there is a minister for Brexit so Boris won't be involved (speaking with such authority...) is kinda stretching the imagination a bit, I imagine the cabinet will be closely involved in all decisions and the minister will be pulling it all together.

Think of the country as a business and the cabinet as the board, one fellow wouldn't be given the authority to take the boat to Calais and not have to report back and seek guidance would he? A simple analogy but maybe it will hit home.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    It was Boris or Gove as one of them was needed to help re-unite the party and Gove shot down any chances with his approach when entering the leadership contest. As much as many on here want it, it cannot be a remainers only team otherwise the same splits still exist behind the scenes. I cannot believe how many are blinded to this by their own myopia!

I'm more concerned that Hunt has kept his job and not been jettisoned. He's done more damage to the NHS than any Brexit vote will do!
    I have to agree with Coops here, especially about that Hunt in charge of the NHS. I'm not happy with Boris being appointed, but rather him than Gove.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    orraloon wrote:
    Yebbut.

The May may be cuter than we think. Get the Leavers inside pixxing out rather than the other way round.

Put Leavers into the 3 key slots where they have to deliver and be seen to deliver, not just soundbite as per usual Bojo boxxox, real upside. You lot got us into this omnishambles, ok crack on and get this bright new future you promised us all.

Absolutely bang on, she's played a blinder. "It was your idea, sort it out because if you don't you really are finished and not just a political force but your personal credibility will be so poor that you'll struggle to find anything."

Andrea Loathsome at Agriculture - dealing with all those farmers and fisherman who wanted out but now need to realise that they have no subsidies after the exit period and that quotas will be non-existant, both ways around. Bang goes the new RR every year.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rick_chasey
    Uganda skewers Bojo.

CnV3wcuWIAEP-Ue.jpg
  • surrey_commuter
    Bo Duke wrote:

Also to say there is a minister for Brexit so Boris won't be involved (speaking with such authority...) is kinda stretching the imagination a bit, I imagine the cabinet will be closely involved in all decisions and the minister will be pulling it all together.

Think of the country as a business and the cabinet as the board, one fellow wouldn't be given the authority to take the boat to Calais and not have to report back and seek guidance would he? A simple analogy but maybe it will hit home.

In your analogy David Davis is Mike Tyson. Brexit and intl.trade have specifically been excluded from FCO.

The govt is more like a management board with all the power sitting with the CEO. Read up on Theresa May she is as hard as nails micro manager. She has put one fellow in a boat to Calais and he will be reporting back to her.

Fwiw I like her
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I don't disagree, I think she's the best outcome we could have hoped for. Fortunately none of the idiots got through the selection process.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • surrey_commuter
    Bo Duke wrote:
    I don't disagree, I think she's the best outcome we could have hoped for. Fortunately none of the idiots got through the selection process.

It looked very engineered - gives you hope that there are some smart people pulling the strings behind the scenes
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,738
    hope that there are some smart people pulling the strings behind the scenes
    Conspiracy theory klaxon.

Since the demise of Manc33 we haven't had much of that to tickle us.
  • surrey_commuter
    orraloon wrote:
    hope that there are some smart people pulling the strings behind the scenes
    Conspiracy theory klaxon.

Since the demise of Manc33 we haven't had much of that to tickle us.

That's a bit harsh.

I picture him in a prison/padded cell yelling "but I am a free man of the land"
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Bo Duke wrote:

Foreign Sec is a hi powered Global job, he l be representing us at NATO, UN G8, G20 etc unlike the Brexit minister, which is EU only.

Watching boris speak about the Nice attacks, you just expect him to pull out a punch line for a joke, he carries no gravitas, looks like a p1ssed up Oli Reed.

As for your analogy, the company can have the best product and best price, but if the salesman stinks of BO and cheap fags, talks like an idiot that clearly doesnt know what he is selling... would you buy????
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mamba80 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

Foreign Sec is a hi powered Global job, he l be representing us at NATO, UN G8, G20 etc unlike the Brexit minister, which is EU only.

Watching boris speak about the Nice attacks, you just expect him to pull out a punch line for a joke, he carries no gravitas, looks like a p1ssed up Oli Reed.

As for your analogy, the company can have the best product and best price, but if the salesman stinks of BO and cheap fags, talks like an idiot that clearly doesnt know what he is selling... would you buy????

Th creation of international trade sec (Liam Fox) really dilutes the Foreign Sec role. The important practical stuff of encouraging buying and selling goes to Fox, while Boris gets to make the official statements and schmooze. We still have a decent team of Royals to deploy for the schmoozing as well - Harry and Will aren't tainted in the way that Prince Andrew is (yet). And of course the Queen still knows how to grin and keep quiet when meeting people like Mugabe, Martin McGuiness etc.

And the issue with Boris isn't that he isn't up to the job of holding his tongue when meeting undesirables that we have to get along with, it's that he has a habit of insulting our closest allies and partners.
  • surrey_commuter
    mrfpb wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

Th creation of international trade sec (Liam Fox) really dilutes the Foreign Sec role. The important practical stuff of encouraging buying and selling goes to Fox, while Boris gets to make the official statements and schmooze. We still have a decent team of Royals to deploy for the schmoozing as well - Harry and Will aren't tainted in the way that Prince Andrew is (yet). And of course the Queen still knows how to grin and keep quiet when meeting people like Mugabe, Martin McGuiness etc.

And the issue with Boris isn't that he isn't up to the job of holding his tongue when meeting undesirables that we have to get along with, it's that he has a habit of insulting our closest allies and partners.

Also has a habit of turning up late and poorly briefed.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Only the Brits are enamoured by people who buffoon around, like Johnson. That kind of behaviour simply doesn't wash in other European cultures.

The German response to him acting the c*** will be along the lines "look mate, we're here to do business and talk about serious stuff. If you can't do that, then f*** right off and come back when you're in a different mood".
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • surrey_commuter
    Does anybody have a theory on why he keeps saying "we are leaving the EU but still want to be part of Europe" or words to that effect.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Does anybody have a theory on why he keeps saying "we are leaving the EU but still want to be part of Europe" or words to that effect.

Was wondering myself, maybe he regrets his part in Brexit? he must realise that once we are out of EU, we are out of European influence too.

didnt he make some big pro EU speech back in.... when was it? an age ago, oh yes feb 2016 !!!!
  • surrey_commuter
    Lookyhere wrote:

Was wondering myself, maybe he regrets his part in Brexit? he must realise that once we are out of EU, we are out of European influence too.

didnt he make some big pro EU speech back in.... when was it? an age ago, oh yes feb 2016 !!!!

I did wonder if he meant geographically :shock:
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Leaving aside Bo Dukes completely unfathomable references to black and white chessboards and 1990s adverts, the concept of BFJ (Boris, F**cking Johnson, as I think he should be called) being "just the point-man" with grownups behind the scenes has been proven in Europe to just not work, Yanis Varoufakis, anyone?

One wonders if this wasnt Theresa Mays "pact with the Devil" in order to get elected, as surely you can put BFJ in a cabinet somewhere else where he can do less damage to a UK whose international reputation has now moved from tragic to farcical.

I can´t wait to visit Kenya again over Christmas to see how grownup politicians behave.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,740
    mamba80 wrote:
    [
    Unlike Labour which has a crap product and a crap salesman....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    [
    You voted for him :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    [
    You voted for him :wink:
    Result ! :mrgreen:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Fairly low expectations Cnp0pYTWcAAZYRD.jpg:large
  • Stevo_666
    Sounds partly like sour grapes from the Eurocrats.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sounds like an accurate description, I could say of a despicable sh1t, but I'll leave it at an accurate description.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,738
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Why? This is all down to 'us' Brits. Our "democratically elected" new PM has appointed Mr Full of Sh1t Blowhard de Pfeffel as Foreign Sec, nowt to do with anyone else.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Seem to remember Londoners voting him mayor and then, given the chance, voted for him again.
    Either he is not as bad as his act or Londoners are as thick as mince.
    Probably the mince option.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Seem to remember Londoners voting him mayor and then, given the chance, voted for him again.
    Either he is not as bad as his act or Londoners are as thick as mince.
    Probably the mince option.

the People also voted for BoatyMcboatyface too.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Why? This is all down to 'us' Brits. Our "democratically elected" new PM has appointed Mr Full of Sh1t Blowhard de Pfeffel as Foreign Sec, nowt to do with anyone else.
    Probably because they see him as one of the people who spoiled their party. BREXIT has caused some big problems for the EU.