Nukeproof Mega TR build - 26'er!

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited July 2017 in Your mountain bikes
Well thought I should start a build thread now that most of the bits have arrived!
Have been umming and arring over the last few months on what to do about a new steed - had toyed with the idea of a new Bird Aeris, but the faff of cyclescheme (and work....) and long lead in times due to popularity drained my enthusiasm somewhat.

I really enjoyed building my lads bike and thought I might give building a full bouncer a go.

I 'accidentally' bought some 140mm Fox 32's on ebay last year as I thought the price was wrong - these are around 12 months old and the guy had a BIN price of £100. So I pressed the button and waited for the 'sorry wrong price listed' email - I thought they'd be a good upgrade for the HT.
But what actually happened was these dropped through the door:
fox2_zpsrafbc0dx.jpg

They need some new stickers as the guy who had them had decided to go stealth - but I've ordered some from SLIK graphics.

I'd looked at something similar to the Giant Trance frame that would take the 140 fork and thought about getting powder coated etc. and swapping the bits from my HT over on to it.

I missed out on a couple of frames on ebay and PB and whilst I was thinking what to do I kept looking at the Nukeproof Mega as it's a bike I've always liked and looked at possibly getting a new one.
Well, again on ebay just before Christmas a bargain popped up in the shape of a 12 month old 26'er Mega TR frame and shock. This was up for £450 but open to offers - so a couple of cheeky offers later (and a bit of a postage panic.....) this arrived:

_57_zpsqaj8nhoz.jpg

It's a large frame, but sizes up only slightly bigger than my medium HT so should be spot on, had spoken to a guy on a course not so long back with a medium and he wished he'd gone to a large (medium is slightly smaller than my HT).

Have also managed by (emailing nearly every Nukeproof dealer in the UK!!!) to bag an elusive direct mount front derailleur bracket, as these were a 'bolt on option' during the production year of this frame.

So I have to decide for now to stick with 2 x 10 set up as this should suit most thing I want to do. Had considered 1 x 10 but not sure I'd cope too well with the hills - planning Peaks and Snowdon so thinking the granny will be useful!!

As I was in no rush to build it I decided to take my time and accumulate the parts I wanted. I had been tempted to just transfer most of the stuff from my HT and get it built, but decided I'd be better waiting and planning a decent spec.

Have picked up a few bargains over the last few months in the sales etc. including Superstar Carbon AM wheels for £240, SLX brakes for £80 and a few other bits.

I also decided to stay with the KS eTEN dropper post as I've been really impressed with the one I have on my HT but have gone for the internal version for the Mega.

Will be setting the wheels up tubeless (tubeless virgin!!) so watch this space for any comedy moments!

Here's the full build spec, just waiting for the last few bits to drop through the door and then I can build it!

Frame - 2014 26'er Nukeproof Mega TR 18.75"
Shock - Rockshox Monarch RT3 Debonair
Fork - 2014 Fox Float 32's 140 travel
Brakes - Shimano SLX
Rotors - Shimano XT 180f/160r
Crank - Shimano SLX 170 38.26t
Bottom Bracket - Shimano SLX
Cassette - Shimano SLX 10 sp 11-36t
Shifters - Shimano SLX I spec B (no display)
Front Mech - Shimano SLX direct mount dual pull
Rear Mech - Shimano SLX shadow
Chain - Shimano Deore
Bars - Nukeproof Sam Hill 760
Stem - Nukeproof Warhead 50mm
Headset - Hope
Wheels - Superstar AM carbon Switch-ultra
Tryes - On-One Chunky Monkey trial 2.4 f/Smorgasbord trail 2.25 r
Pedal - Superstar Nano X
Seat Post - KS eTEN integral 100mm drop
Saddle - Specialized Henge
Grips - Superstar lock-on Half Flange

Rough weight should be around 13kg's (according to google and excel.....)

I might, at some point in the future go 1x10 with a wide range cassette as most of my mates seem to be doing this and it's pretty good all round and save a bit of weight in the process.

Comments