Canyon Aeroad 6.0 or 7.0

wayneabs
wayneabs Posts: 63
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Last week I ordered my dream bike the Canyon Aeroad 7.0 Di2 in Glow red - I love the colour scheme on this bike.

However today I note that the Canyon Aeroad 6.0 has dropped over £500 in price to £2,149. The 7.0 costs £3,249. So my dilemma is would you cancel the 7.0 and go for the 6.0?

The main difference between the two are as follows:

The 7.0 is now £1,100 more expensive than the 6.0
The 7.0 has the one piece aero cockpit along with electronic ultegra plus comes in glow red
The 6.0 has a separate bar/stem combo plus standard ultegra but only comes in black or black/yellow

My heart was set on the glow red frame and electronic groupset/aero cockpit but my head is questioning whether that is worth an extra £1,100. My current bike is stealth black which is why the glow red was so appealing.

What would you do?

Thanks

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    If you can afford it and the money is disposable buy the one you like the look of most.

Needs to be value for money, buy the one you know is right
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Been waiting for the 6.0 to be on sale (was due to on the 14th Jul). Nearly fell off my chair at work when I saw it was on at a discount of £550. Extremely good value from my point of view. Same price as a Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2. But that's just my point of view. I never wanted electric and my new club kit has the lime yellow colour in it :-) The red does look lovely. Either way you won't be disappointed, now got to wait for the mid summer Christmas! :-)
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Is there a difference in the wheels, or is it just group set and stem/bars that differ?
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    My thought process went like this: want aeroad, talked myself out of getting aeroad, saw £550 discount, also fell of chair (all other bikes seemed to be carrying 10% discount), bought aeroad.

Fully expecting the canyon nonsense machines to kick in tomorrow and tell me they haven't got any left, the price was an error, I can't have it until 2019 or whatever, but we live in hope.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Wheels are the same
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    You like the red. You'd prefer the DI2 and fancy bars. You must be able to afford it, otherwise you wouldn't have ordered it.

Stick with the bike you really like. Money is there for spending!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Whatever you pick you will love it. Ive had mine finished for a week and in the last year ive had a dogma, a cervelo s5 vwd a team foil with sram red, and now the aeroad. Its a keeper at last. Its fantastic. Did first proper ride saturday 110.3 miles and was epic and did a quick 61 miles this morning. Its a fantastic ride and the red is so muc better in the flesh.

Heres mine

image_zpsl5f62dw1.jpeg
  • mallorcajeff
    image_zpsxd1sejyb.jpeg
  • mallorcajeff
    image_zps3fef5wuq.jpeg
  • Looks stunning Jeff.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • mallorcajeff
    Cheers buddy hope your well. Will be ordering a cf slx to keep it company next year still in love with those after pricking hour one up at the top of box hill! Im doing ride london for the first time this year so will bring back good memeories of that day although not got much fitness these days :-( hope your well mate
  • wayneabs
    Soon after I posted I got a dispatch notice from canyon so decision made! Very impressive seeing as I only ordered last week, it was an in stock size. Should get it to tomorrow.
  • mallorcajeff
    Wicked you will be out the weekend!

What i would do is:
    Check routing of the cables in the stem as they can be a faf and ive re routed mine.
    Heli tape the rear wheel arch stop that getting too scratched
    Plenty of carbon paste on seat post which means you wont need too much tourqe on the clamp

Its one hell of a ride you will love it. Took mine out for a quick 30 this morning its certainly a bike that makes you want to go out. The reynolds i put on it are day and night from my mavic ksyriums i had on day one.
  • All good with me Jeff, put some hard work in this year. You'll love the London ride. Its a fast one for sure. What time is your start?
  • mallorcajeff
    7.49 i think so ehwere round there so im not planning on a quick one as it will be very busy especially on the hills by all accounts but will just enjoy the ride round i think as long as its dry!
  • You'll love it Jeff. Good Luck
  • wayneabs
    Bike arrived today but a number of issues, I've sent the photos off to Canyon but no response yet. This was meant to be a new bike.

I've taken it out for a quick spin and the damage to the cables do not appear to have effected the gear shifting or brakes.

Ask for a replacement or a slice off the purchase price?

axy4hx.jpg
    28sxbnc.jpg
    2cekl01.jpg
    2ypekya.jpg
  • mallorcajeff
    I wouldnt be too happy with that being a new bike. Clearly the wires have been trapped under the flimsy t piece by the screws. Wouldnt bother me overly but the slice in the other cables will be a pain to change, and the marks on the frame are not accceptable for new. Looks like an ex demo bike to me. Id either back it or ask for some money off.
  • Gosh, sad to see those pics. Certainly send them in to Canyon and complain. It's not what a new bike should be about. Good luck and do let us know what they say.
  • wayneabs
    They have offered a full refund or replacement, which would now be September for the same spec.

The other option was to keep the bike, they would send me replacement di2 cable and £40 to fit it plus a £50 web voucher. If I'm honest I find that offer slightly insulting, I don't have any use for the voucher and the £40 would barely cover the LBS costs in fitting the new cables.

I've emailed them back to offer a more realistic partial refund inline with their factory outlet models.

Am I being unreasonable?
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    nope, also point out you would be missing 2 months of using the bike, if it a new one arrived in september, due to their quality control
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Insult is the right word.
    Minimum of 10% of purchase price as partial refund or bike goes back.
  • mallorcajeff
    Sod that send it back and tell them the whole forum agreed your being tight. There is plenty of margin in the bike if the other model had £500 off it recently? Must be same mark up in this model. Send it back and tell them to refund (then order another under a different name to save face lol)
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    EDIT reply below was after only reading the OP, not the whole thread. Oops!

Since you can afford the 7.0 (or you wouldn't be considering it as a choice), and clearly it has the features you want, then why wouldn't you buy it? Yes it's more money, but better things cost more, and for the sake of £1k you'll forever wish you had if you get the 6.0.

Having said that, I prefer pure mechanical groupsets, so for me it'd be an easier choice!
  • mallorcajeff
    Now sold out
  • Hovis
    Hovis Posts: 87
    Damn that really sucks. I think I must have ordered the same spec right after you did as it showed in stock but then was quoted mid September to delivery. I think they are swamped/understaffed right now due to extra sales from it being the summer, tdf and their breakaway sale.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'm a huge Canyon fan and have backed them on here many times but those defects are not acceptable. The mark on the frame would put me off and the cables just add weight to it being sent back which I would do.

You've paid good money for a bike and it's not met your expectations, nor would it mine. I just don't understand how these things are not picked up when being packed. My Speedmax came with a couple of bubbles on the paintwork, I accepted £50 in vouchers from them, they weren't on the same scale as the mark on your frame so it felt ok to do so.

I hope you get sorted.
  • wayneabs
    Their final offer was £75 refund, sending new cables and £40 to fit them. I have declined their offer and asked for a full refund.

Now I don't have a bike with some events coming up, back to the drawing board!
  • Hovis
    Hovis Posts: 87
    That is such a shame, and such shitty customer service from them. You spend all that money, get sent a faulty product and they do nothing for it. I really hope my order doesn't go the same way.
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    ...in the last year ive had a ... cervelo s5 vwd a team foil with sram red, and now the aeroad. Its a keeper at last. Its fantastic.

Wandering o/t, Jeff, what did you do with the s5 and Foil???? Of those three my favourite has been the Foil.