Rest day 1 11/07/2016

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
edited July 2016 in Pro race
Seeing as Eurosport and ITV will be milking the rest day for a round up, I thought I would give a thread a crack.

So what do we think so far?

I reckon its been a pretty decent Tour so far with the exception of a couple of boring stages.

The form of Cav and Sagan has been really good to see and I hope we see Dan MaClay get his hands in the air before we get to Paris.

The scenery has been epic in places with the Mont St Michel and some of the Massif Central being the stand out.

TV coverage has been ok so far as well. No P&P has been a real bonus.

Rider of the race so far is a difficult one to call, but for me it has to be Adam Yates.

Comments

• Seems well posed at the moment as the top 11 are still within a minute of the GC- however the Ventoux and a tt the next day will shake things up - trouble is no one is going to be allowed to go - even if they are unlikely for GC in Paris - so it remains a bit of a procession until then?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    I still don't fancy Froome to win. Nairo seems far to calm and collected right now.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Think Dan Martin will fade next week and maybe try for a stage win or 2. Yates looks very very good, Quintana keeping his powder dry, and Froome, well, Ventoux again?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Incredible that Contador going home isn't been seen as a major disaster by many.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    We only get 1 stage thread but 2 rest day threads - bonus :)
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    I still don't fancy Froome to win. Nairo seems far to calm and collected right now.

Nairo was 2 mins down on the first rest day last year (and in 2013) so he's actually as close as he's ever been to Froome (at this point of the race). Froome did seem a little unimpressive yesterday, given that he went ballistic on the first MTF last year, but perhaps he's being more cautious to strengthen his 3rd week (relative to Nairo).
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    This is the first time I've followed the tour closely, and it's quite hard finding a single decent source to keep an eye on while working. I'm enjoying the daily threads here. I usually tune in to the 5 Live coverage but that doesn't start till 3.00 or 3.30.

Any ecommendations for mobile apps - I have the Race Centre coverage already as my main

As for the actual event, I'm enjoying Cav's "comeback" and hoping he makes it to Paris.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    professeur wrote:

Nairo was 2 mins down on the first rest day last year (and in 2013) so he's actually as close as he's ever been to Froome (at this point of the race). Froome did seem a little unimpressive yesterday, given that he went ballistic on the first MTF last year, but perhaps he's being more cautious to strengthen his 3rd week (relative to Nairo).

I said this in the Stage 9 thread yesterday, but I'll mention it again in here.

With the weather at yesterday's finish, there was little point in going all out. The risk of illness isn't worth it when there's still two weeks to go. Yesterday was damage limitation for everyone. Only really Dan Martin and Bauke went on the attack... I think that says all that needs to be said really. They aren't the two that are going to be riding up the Champs in Yellow.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    professeur wrote:

Much has been made of Froome's change in training this year to avoid his previous 3rd week fades, so I'm not sure Froome's performance yesterday is much of a problem for him.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Cycling "journalists" do love scraping the barrel don't they. Apparently Froome's lack of attacking on the climbs this Tour is because he had a motor last year!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/rac ... cks-258362
  • jscl
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Big shame. Have been waiting for Purito to light up a stage and hope he gets a stage win at this years tour.
    r0bh wrote:
    Cycling "journalists" do love scraping the barrel don't they. Apparently Froome's lack of attacking on the climbs this Tour is because he had a motor last year!

It's just disgusting. Why can't people just accept that it's possible to perform without cheating?
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Currently based in the Southern hemisphere - the rest day couldn't come soon enough for me. After watching the tour and then Andy Murray winning Wimbledon, went to bed at 2.30am or so and got 4 hours sleep before I cycled out to work. All too familiar to previous nights/mornings. :D

Overall, I've enjoyed the tour so far with the exception of...the friggin idiots who take it upon themselves to ruin everyone elses viewing and enjoyment by running like maniacs only to usually impede the cyclists and force them off their intended path. The crowds are a spectacle in themselves and needs care taken not to remove this theatre but something needs to be done.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Incredible that Contador going home isn't been seen as a major disaster by many.

Tis a disaster that we will all have to overcome via our humdrum lives..
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    This nonsense about bike racing is all very well, but I'm in a hospital facing the very real possibility that my son's middle name will be Journée de Repos.

In reality, he seems to have changed his mind about coming out, but it was a genuine worry at 1 o'clock this morning.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    An enjoyable tour so far, very nicely poised going into Ventoux where I hope things really kick off.

On reflection though the racing has been fairly dull, livened up for me because of the heavy Brit participation and success.

One thing's for sure, the threads are lacking in photos this year...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It didn't happen suddenly though. It was gradual decline from top contender to outsider to also-ran to liability to DNF.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    We only get 1 stage thread but 2 rest day threads - bonus :)

Yes. I got mine in first but jimmy is a popular guy, while nobody likes me.. :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • jscl
    Keisse & Lampaert renew with Etixx.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I was expecting him to fall out of contention at some point, just not this quickly (or to abandon for that matter). He's now crashed (all by himself, nobody bringing him down) at 4 Tours in a row, with 2 of them resulting in abandons. It's not a great record. I will miss his excuses, but I don't think he'd have been in the top 3 this year even if he'd stayed on his bike.
    r0bh wrote:

Hilarious... presumably his battery was flat on AdH last year then? Or did Quintana just have a bigger motor? :roll:
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I missed most of the first week as i was doing my own mini Tdf

13346664_10209880538196660_8224016351487081831_n.jpg?oh=e2a4fc2ac7d6e74f0d94890f54c4423d&oe=5837158E

13592353_10210143758296998_5144724688226341449_n.jpg?oh=b94d907fdc4d11459df95bb7c95225be&oe=57F8EE2B

But I managed to get to the various hotels to watch the last few Km's most days.

Really enjoyed seeing Cav & Sagan winning. I got some odd looks from the locals as i was shouting and cheering ;)

It's still very close, and i think the GC won't explode until they hit the Alps.

Having done Ventoux now i can't imagine how they will race up it! I barely did it at a crawl!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    wondering if J-Rod drops a bit more time he'll be given the chance for a win up Ventoux? that'd be nice.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    RichN95 wrote:
    It didn't happen suddenly though. It was gradual decline from top contender to outsider to also-ran to liability to DNF.

Yep, arguably out of contention by the time the Dauphine had finished
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Really enjoyed the tour so far, really great to have things so nicely poised. You've got Froome seemingly wanting to stamp his authority, Martin on form, Yates riding a belter and then Quintana, he's the one that's hard to read. Is he on the limit or just keeping the powder dry?

On top of that Cav, Cummings and also McClay, what a great tour so far!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Good Tour so far... nice to see Cav in green... Froome's descent was genius... Pinot has found his right dimension as Virenque impersonator... and still quite a few riders who can do very well in the GC. Haven't looked at the course, but Quintana looks very easy on the pedals, wouldn't be surprised if he dropped everyone up Ventoux...
    left the forum March 2023
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

:cry: He will be missed. Has got something like 8 top 5 finishes in Grand Tours but still no win.

I think the big question in everyone's mind is whether Froome is keeping something back for the third week or came into the race a bit undercooked. If he isn't then we could be in for a very tight race right to the finish. The ideal scenario is if Froome can gain say 40 seconds on Quintana in the longer TT and Quintana is slightly stronger in the third week.

Can Yates hold on for third?
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    just remembered what happened the last time they raced up Ventoux

you'd be well advised to skip lunch until after Froome's attack
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    JSCL wrote:
    professeur wrote:

I said this in the Stage 9 thread yesterday, but I'll mention it again in here.

With the weather at yesterday's finish, there was little point in going all out. The risk of illness isn't worth it when there's still two weeks to go. Yesterday was damage limitation for everyone. Only really Dan Martin and Bauke went on the attack... I think that says all that needs to be said really. They aren't the two that are going to be riding up the Champs in Yellow.

Froome said he's aimed to be better in the third week, to not peak to early for the olympics.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    There's something about Quintana that I just don't like. He's touted as a great climber but how often have we seen him actually destroy the field and really take GC threatening time consistently? He can't time trial and he can't descend but he can follow a wheel as he ably demonstrated yesterday and on several other occasions.

Another from the Nibali/Evans mould in my opinion who just hangs around and can only win when all other useful contenders drop out.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    hypster wrote:
    Another from the Nibali/Evans mould in my opinion who just hangs around and can only win when all other useful contenders drop out.

Are you serious? Nibali is one of the most attacking riders in the world.