What to do about road rash

shandy123
shandy123 Posts: 9
Hi all,
I've lurked for quite a while, but I finally took part in my first sportive this weekend - The Ring Of Kerry.
It was great fun, so much in fact that I went a bit crazy, went too far on the first long descent (about forty miles in), and came off.
It didn't hurt at the time, and i was able to complete the remaining miles before seeking medical attention.
In fact I was much more concerned about my Lycra and my scratched brake levers!
TLKQCv5a7A8uqea7A
However, once I got in the shower back at the hotel, a tiny trickle of warm water set me screaming like a little girl!
I reapplied the dressing given to me by the first aiders, and kept it on until last night, when I removed it again in the bath (in the vain hope that it would lessen the pain).
Anyway, it does seem more to have stopped weeping quite so much, but it is still raw and painful...
7cML5UhCSVy7xWVL9
Any advice? Cover it? Leave it to air? Some sort of cream on it?

Comments

• SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Initially I'd keep it covered - I wouldn't want dirt or germs getting into the wound. Use melolin as a dressing - it doesn't stick as the wound dries up.

But if you can rest a little later on, keep it open and let the air dry the wound.

I only really use creams like Savlon on fresh wounds to try and sanitise it initially. After that, too much cream will keep the wound from drying and healing naturally.

I'm no first aider though - the above is just what works for me.

Hope you heal soon. When I can off my new pride and joy I had to immediately respray the brake levers and order new 105 name plates for the shifter tops.

Good luck,
    Steve
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,843
    Yes to hydrocolloid dressing or Tegaderm. Stops the pain and speeds scar-free healing. Make sure the dressing is at least 1cm bigger all round than the injured area, as it needs good skin to stick to and make a good seal, to keep germs out. You can then leave it in place for 4-5 days. Make sure the wound area is properly clean before you apply the dressing, as whatever's in there when you put the dressing on stays there.

I always keep a couple of dressings at home, just in case of an off. Getting big ones is a bit of a problem sometimes (easier in Tegaderm), to the extent that when my dad died, strangely the dressings in his collection of stuff that had been at his bedside didn't make their way back to the hospital.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    ^^^ this

tegaderm film for lighter injury, hydrocolloid, then alginate for deeper/oozier

the dressing prevents the wound drying out while it heals, if the wounds scabs it delays healing and is more likely to scar

wash with clean water or wound wash, no creams, oil etc., dress, do not disturb for a few days, change dressing as required

if it's a large area i'd go to a&e and have them dress it while it's fresh, they'll have ready access to the best dressings and probably give you some to change until it's healed
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The problem is the dirt which will have gotten into it. Even seemingly minor scrapes will often need cleaning out by A&E. They basically give you a local and scrub it!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Try telling my thigh that Melolin doesnt stick - it did to me!

Duoderm/Tegaderm is fantastic and you can get it online in big sizes, can be hard to find in those sizes locally though.
    But make sure it is properly clean before using Duoderm otherwise the moist environment is good news for the bacteria looking to grow and infect!

I second the suggestion to go to A&E, or to the nurse at your local doctors - as well as checking its clean and advising you, they will usually give you a small supply of whatever dressings they recommend - to save you having to find and buy them.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You have to clean the dirt out, otherwise it will get infected. Also keep a close eye on it for signs of poisoning (redness or excessive pain, feeling sick etc). If you need a tetanus jab or booster get it done. Might be worth an appointment with the GP nurse too.

Roads are dirty and life is full of nasty bacteria. Also any serious bruising (Hematoma) blackness in large patches should definitely be a trip to the docs as these can cause clots.
  • shandy123
    Thanks for all the advice. My feeling is that I've left it too late for A&E, as it is now dry all over, even the deeper patch.
    It is possible to touch the wound now, though it is tender - perhaps due to bruising?
    The volunteer ambulance guys did clean it on the day, with some sort of wipes, which stung - so I assume they were antiseptic. Also they used saline to wash it. There doesn't seem to be any infection, so, I'll probably just treat it myself now.
    I will look online for the dressings mentioned though - they sound useful.
    I just want to get on my bike again!!
  • shandy123
    sungod wrote:

tegaderm film for lighter injury, hydrocolloid, then alginate for deeper/oozier

the dressing prevents the wound drying out...

if it's a large area i'd go to a&e and have them dress it while it's fresh, they'll have ready access to the best dressings and probably give you some to change until it's healed
    nrRD9E4b5qHuWKJm8
    qW4HpUv9pNUGRmPV9
    The darker area is about 4cm across, not sure if this is a "lighter" or "deeper/oozier"?
    Also, it seems to have dried out now anyway. Is this a problem?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,843
    apreading wrote:
    I second the suggestion to go to A&E, or to the nurse at your local doctors - as well as checking its clean and advising you, they will usually give you a small supply of whatever dressings they recommend - to save you having to find and buy them.
    My doctors had no big dressings in stock last time I tried them... then had to start trawling the local chemists. Hence my getting hold of big dressings when I can.

If I remember rightly, the Tegaderm is cut-able to the right size (so, for instance, if you only have a small area to cover, you can cut a large dressing in two), but the hydrocolloid dressings must be used as is.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    I would keep clean & dry, let the air get to it, sounds like its healing nicely now. Just keep your eye on it and if it gets worse then a trip to the docs or a&e for advise. I have used a Savlon aerosol directly on road rash cuts and scrapes, found it really good as it drys almost instantly. Hope the bikes ok. Mitch
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    I would keep clean & dry, let the air get to it, sounds like its healing nicely now. Just keep your eye on it and if it gets worse then a trip to the docs or a&e for advise. I have used a Savlon aerosol directly on road rash cuts and scrapes, found it really good as it drys almost instantly. Hope the bikes ok. Mitch

Pls dont go to AE, they are flat out dealing with genuine emergencies and are over whelmed with the worried well, you ll just spend hours waiting around, feeling a xxxx for wasting their time.

Go to a Minor Injuries Unit if it starts to become infected, they can deal with that and unless you get it dirty, yours will be fine.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    mamba80 wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:

Pls dont go to AE, they are flat out dealing with genuine emergencies and are over whelmed with the worried well, you ll just spend hours waiting around, feeling a xxxx for wasting their time.

Go to a Minor Injuries Unit if it starts to become infected, they can deal with that and unless you get it dirty, yours will be fine.

This^

Had a crash with similar results last year once back in Ely went to our brilliant minor injuries clinic who sorted me out;took a few weeks before it properly healed(actually still had a dressing on when I did the L'Etape London a few weeks later),after a few visits was transfered to my local surgery where the nurses there took over.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • shandy123
    Ok, I will stay away from a&e. Think I'll just dress the worst bit now.
    Thanks again for all the advice. @bigmitch41, the bike will be fine, I'm sure.