Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Sports Direct - Muddy Fox

TashmanTashman Posts: 2,760
edited August 2016 in Road beginners
Brand spanking new to all this. Out of interest i looked at Sports Direct to see their offering.

Would this be bad value?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-ra ... e=93330944
«1

Posts

  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,089
    Nothing particularly wrong with the bike itself, but it's quite possible you will find a better spec than that for similar money...
  • TashmanTashman Posts: 2,760
    Thanks, thought that might be the case
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 2,857
    Wouldn't pay full price for it in a million years. Possibly not too bad at the current price, but I'd rather have something like this...
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-r ... 50480.html
    or this...
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-700-af ... 24331.html
    or if you must have a carbon frame...
    https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-fus ... 84195.html
  • davebradswmbdavebradswmb Posts: 234
    It looks amazing value, all-carbon frame & forks and Tiagra groupset for £750. The only thing that would worry me is that Muddy Fox is owned by Sports Direct. Karrimor are now owned by Sports Direct and the quality of the products really stinks these days. I took a look at the Muddy Fox shoes once and stayed well away. To be honest the components shown in the picture don't look like Tiagra to me - the shifters should have all concealed cabling, and the chainset looks wrong.
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 2,857
    It looks amazing value, all-carbon frame & forks and Tiagra groupset for £750. The only thing that would worry me is that Muddy Fox is owned by Sports Direct. Karrimor are now owned by Sports Direct and the quality of the products really stinks these days. I took a look at the Muddy Fox shoes once and stayed well away. To be honest the components shown in the picture don't look like Tiagra to me - the shifters should have all concealed cabling, and the chainset looks wrong.

    Cos it's old Tiagra, not the new one.
  • macleod113macleod113 Posts: 560
    My O/H works for a famous sports brand that supplies to Sports Direct and all they are interested is the cheapest old stuff they can buy and then sell it on for a massive profit.
    i'm not sure i would trust them with a bike. i'd suggest you try other bike specific retailers or even a local bike shop as that way you get expertise and a come back. I've never tried SD's customer service but something tells me it wont be plain sailing if there is an issue
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,787
    mrb123 wrote:
    Wouldn't pay full price for it in a million years. Possibly not too bad at the current price, but I'd rather have something like this...
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-r ... 50480.html
    or this...
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-700-af ... 24331.html
    or if you must have a carbon frame...
    https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-fus ... 84195.html

    This completely and utterly.

    Moda also have some cheaper carbon framed bikes reduced on occasion, and planet x are bound to have a sale soon, or a code that brings one of their bikes down to this value.
    Boardman might be worth considering too from Halfords, and if you have BC membership, you can get 10% off both there and CRC.

    Edit: That Merlin bike looks excellent value and spec.
    Don't forget cashback sites like topcashback and quidco, tcb currently have 4.2% which knocks a tidy £33 off that bike.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Jerry185Jerry185 Posts: 143
    With the Tiagra gears (not bad tho'), the 12 kilo weight (heavy) and the supplier, this looks like a £700 bike reduced to £750.

    I've had a Decathlon B'Twin Triban 540 for over a year and ridden it in Mallorca bike camp plus some sportives inc. Dragon Ride - Media Fondo. A 'pro' on the camp said my steed was 'a perfectly reasonable bike.'
    Uprated 105 gears, cartridge brakes, Mavic wheels, carbon forks and weighs at 9.5 kg
    The only thing I changed for performance was the Hutchinson tyres for Continental (very cheap to upgrade tyres rather than, say wheels)

    Currently selling at Decathlon for £500
  • MiddleRingerMiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Don't touch that Sports Direct bike. If you want cheap but still good, go for the Decathlon range.
  • GuanajuatoGuanajuato Posts: 399
    Jerry185 wrote:
    With the Tiagra gears (not bad tho'), the 12 kilo weight (heavy) and the supplier, this looks like a £700 bike reduced to £750.
    12kg for a carbon bike? My old £250 Carrera TdF bike weighed less than that. :roll:
    I'd buy from a bike shop (even if it is Halfords or Decathlon) rather than a clothes shop. I know with SD they don't properly refund you - you only ever get store credit. Not a chane I'd be willing to take.
  • napoleondnapoleond Posts: 18,633
    Muddy fox used to be at the forefront of mountainbiking in the mid 80s. I still ride my 1986 Muddy Fox courier.
    The current 'Muddy Fox' brand has absolutely nothing to do with quality any more. It's way-below-standard tat that puts people off cycling.
    Twitter - @NapD
    Strava - Alex Taylor (sportstest.co.uk)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,787
    napoleond wrote:
    Muddy fox used to be at the forefront of mountainbiking in the mid 80s. I still ride my 1986 Muddy Fox courier.
    The current 'Muddy Fox' brand has absolutely nothing to do with quality any more. It's way-below-standard tat that puts people off cycling.

    It's sad isn't it, used to be a very well regarded brand in the late 80's, and now reduced to this.
    :(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • vpnikolovvpnikolov Posts: 568
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-r872/

    Take a look at Ribble. Better value for money defo.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,089
    Guanajuato wrote:
    I know with SD they don't properly refund you - you only ever get store credit. Not a chane I'd be willing to take.

    SD is goverened by the same distance selling and sale of goods regulations as any other retailer. So if you are entitled to claim a refund in accordance with consumer law, you should get one.
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,787
    Imposter wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:
    I know with SD they don't properly refund you - you only ever get store credit. Not a chane I'd be willing to take.

    SD is goverened by the same distance selling and sale of goods regulations as any other retailer. So if you are entitled to claim a refund in accordance with consumer law, you should get one.

    If you order online and return it online, you will get a refund.
    If you buy online, or instore, and then return instore, you will only be offered a credit.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • For extreme value for money, you could also try and find one of the argos (bear with me) carbon fibre bikes - ventura cp50. These were retailing for £400 so I took a gamble and was pleasantly surprised to find it decent. Mostly sora with a mix of other kit - iirc ritchey finishing kit but a cheap crankset, unbranded brakes. Also a decent weight with an easy upgrade as most of whats left was in the 501 wheelset.
  • dave35dave35 Posts: 1,124
    This for £100 more
    http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bi ... -5800.html
    £150 less
    http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bi ... -4700.html.
    Wouldn't touch the sports direct bike shaped object with a barge pole.
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV ... -road-bike

    This for £100 more from a company that do bikes. SPorts Direct don't -so any problems - what would they do ?
  • MiddleRingerMiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Guanajuato wrote:
    12kg for a carbon bike? :roll:
    My alloy bike weighs almost 4kg less than that! :shock:

    The PX Pro Carbon linked above - while a quite dated frameset now - is excellent value & a quality bike!
  • deejayseedeejaysee Posts: 149
    About the last Brand and last shop i'd ever buy a road bike from
  • TashmanTashman Posts: 2,760
    Thanks everyone, good to see that my first thoughts weren't far off the mark. i guess you can dress a donkey like a race horse, but underneath, it's still a donkey!
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,787
    Tashman wrote:
    Thanks everyone, good to see that my first thoughts weren't far off the mark. i guess you can dress a donkey like a race horse, but underneath, it's still a donkey!

    Well said! :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MisterMuncherMisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    It's probably so OK it's average. Old OEM open mould frame, a groupset that's basically remaindered and a lot of no-name finishing kit. Probably assembled by a sub-contractor and stacked in a warehouse somewhere, or a rebadge/respray on someone else's NOS.
  • Jerry185Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Annnd....I see Decathlon have just pushed the Triban 540 up to 650 quid, which is more expensive than when they discounted it
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,787
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Annnd....I see Decathlon have just pushed the Triban 540 up to 650 quid, which is more expensive than when they discounted it

    That's cos it has swapped from 10 spd 105 5700 to 11 spd 105 5800.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    I will always steer a newbie in the direction of ebay or a second hand sale than any cheap n nasty brand new p.o.s. they are nearly always poor quality ride. Just cos its 'carbon' does not make it a bargain. It could be 99% resin and the cheapest fibre on the market. Zero stiffness or ride quality. There are untold amounts of top quality well maintained and looked after used bikes out there which are also minus the 20% VAT on top of the new bike.And if you ever decide you either don't want to keep it cos its not for you or even if you fancy an upgrade you can still shift it yourself without leaving yourself with an unsellable bike.
  • carbonclemcarbonclem Posts: 949
    Every element of Sports Direct is horrible and should be avoided at all costs. They buy out brand names and remanufacture the goods at lowest quality reducing brands to junk - such as Karrimor. The refund policy is strictly to the letter of the law and only credit notes are offered unless there is a manufacturing fault - most companies refund for goodwill but not SD. I beleive the company thoroughly exploit minimum wage laws and zero hours contracts too.

    If after all that, you fancy shopping there, then good luck to you. :D
    2020 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • TashmanTashman Posts: 2,760
    just to say I avoided like the plague in the end. Now waiting on a second hand Defy 1 to be redied by a friend who has upgraded. Bonus is i'll also have a riding buddy :)
  • Jerry185Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Daniel B wrote:
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Annnd....I see Decathlon have just pushed the Triban 540 up to 650 quid, which is more expensive than when they discounted it

    That's cos it has swapped from 10 spd 105 5700 to 11 spd 105 5800.

    Good spot, DB. Unless I read this wrong tho', what you get at the moment is another gear most people won't use, for an extra £150
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 2,857
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Annnd....I see Decathlon have just pushed the Triban 540 up to 650 quid, which is more expensive than when they discounted it

    That's cos it has swapped from 10 spd 105 5700 to 11 spd 105 5800.

    Good spot, DB. Unless I read this wrong tho', what you get at the moment is another gear most people won't use, for an extra £150

    The popular consensus on this forum seems to be that 5800 is a huge improvement over 5700 though.
Sign In or Register to comment.