How British are you?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    orraloon wrote:
    Both parents were from NE Scotland, and we have tracked the families back into the 1700s, none of them strayed from Banffshire / Aberdeenshire.

So is somewhat odd when my daughter worked for a spell after university in a DNA testing company and we ran some samples; my genetic markers revealed 7-10% genes typical of Vietnam, S E Asia more generally.

Did you track all lines, male and female, for all generations?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I saw a short video clip recently in which a selection of people of different nationalities had their DNA tested. Unsurprisingly we are all a mix, there are no pure people of whatever nationality. What is a Brit anyway? An Anglo Saxon, a Celt, the child of West Indian parents that was born in Croydon, me? Or all of the above?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    We are all descendants of Adam and Eve.
    Allegedly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    It's no wonder this site is so full of limp wristed liberals when so few of you are True Brits TM
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Two parents born in Ireland (Republic) three grandparents born in Ireland (pre partition) one grandparent born in USA to Irish immigrants.

Born and raised in Wales, lived in England since age 18.

Sporting loyalty in descending order: Wales, R o Ireland, England, USA, NI, Scotland (or GB, RoI, USA)
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    Born in England, Scottish mother, her dad from County Cork.
    Father English but my surname is Welsh.
    I'm British not English
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Rolf F wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Both parents were from NE Scotland, and we have tracked the families back into the 1700s, none of them strayed from Banffshire / Aberdeenshire.

So is somewhat odd when my daughter worked for a spell after university in a DNA testing company and we ran some samples; my genetic markers revealed 7-10% genes typical of Vietnam, S E Asia more generally.

Did you track all lines, male and female, for all generations?

:D Paternal and maternal lines as far back as we could get them without becoming anoraks about it. Got a life.

Mind you, given the propensity of the ancestors to put it about a bit, as evidenced by the frequency of illegitimates cropping up, who knows? Could have been a wandering sailor boy, wandering a bit far from home, who took the eye of some young lady somewhere...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    bompington wrote:
    Well, I do have at least one Huguenot ancestor

Hey me too!

My Dad is English, but that side of the tree goes back to France, and my Mum is Mauritian, where they are both emigrating to (after 10 years in Spain) in 3 weeks time.

My brother lives, and works in Italy, and given the choice and chance, I would likely want to live in France, though that option has probably now been removed or made more difficult at least.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Any of you Huguenot's have a sir name Coton (not Cotton) in the lineage somewhere? If so PM me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Pinno wrote:
    Any of you Huguenot's have a sir name Coton (not Cotton) in the lineage somewhere? If so PM me.
    I have Huguenot ancestry but the name was Calvet. Not a lot of help I suppose?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Sorry, the Ouvells can't help you either
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    "Bloody Huguenots, coming over here, questioning the Eucharistic symbolism with their famed ability to weave little jerkins out of lace."
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    ...Eucharistic symbolism...

Had to look that one up. We're bloody thick too.
  • Garry H
    Heathens!

Quoting Stewart Lee, by the way.
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Heathens!

Does he make a good Casserole?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Scotland via Northern Ireland on my dad's side (Scotland was about 200 years ago mind). Norman and Anglo Saxon on my mum's side - think they're home counties through and through.

Rather unsurprisingly I'm the same as this (being related and whatnot).

I've lived in Bristol, North Wales and Scotland (5 months near Perth and 1.5 years in south Scotland) so I could consider myself as very British. It doesn't mean a huge amount to me to be honest and I'm not sure why
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I was born in Manchester and have lived in Wales, New Zealand, Malaysia, Germany, the Netherlands and Hong Kong (twice). I consider myself British because, amongst other things, I like tea with cold milk, I hold doors open for people, know how to behave when ordering in a pub, say please and thank you, and am versed in the use of irony, sarcasm and puns.

Britishness is a state of mind, as well as an accident of genealogy.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Heathens!

Does he make a good Casserole?

You've lost me now. Us Welsh eh, blydi thick...
  • pinno
    Britishness - being bloody minded? It's a culturally unique trait.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Welsh, Irish, German and (a little bit of) French get a look in. Some English also.

In other words, the usual mongrel white British bloke.

But if being British means socially concerned, likes a decent cup of tea, understand cricket, enjoys banter, loves Europe but appreciates our differences, likes a bit of EnglandvsWalesvsScotlandvsNIvsEtc needle - that's me all over.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    We're all related to the first people who roamed the earth; who came from the African continent?
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    De Sisti wrote:
    We're all related to the first people who roamed the earth; who came from the African continent?
    Only if you are a hominid :D
    I appear to have missed this one, so for those who don't know, yep I'm British cos my passport says I am. I do have Polish and Irish ancestry, though, if that matters.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I'm too Saxon for my shirt.
  • pinno
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Pinno wrote:
    Is Pinno starting a fight back against Danegeld?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Imposed by those bast4rd Normans who farked everything up for us, Yep.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I'm out. Mrs BBGeek is red-headed and keeps an axe sharpened for just this kind of event. I know which side my bread is buttered :lol:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I'm out. Mrs BBGeek is red-headed and keeps an axe sharpened for just this kind of event. I know which side my bread is buttered :lol:

Would that be standard EU sourced CAP butter?
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

In true flaky Anglo-Saxon style (with caveats) we don't give an EU toss. My butter is currently Cornish, but I will happily eat French if it's cheaper.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

In true flaky Anglo-Saxon style (with caveats) we don't give an EU toss. My butter is currently Cornish, but I will happily eat French if it's cheaper.

Never mind all that Cheddar/Champagne/Cornish Ice cream malarkey - the OH is back from work and recapping on Neverdale. You didn't tell me Gemma Atkinson was in dungarees. Mrrrrreow....