How British are you?

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited July 2016 in The cake stop
Following on from the EU referendum and an "interesting" discussion with my nakedly racist neighbour, with all this talk of getting "our country back" how British actually are we? More pertinently.... How British are you??

From my immediate family history, on my dad's side we have Ukrainian refugees from the Russian Revolution and on my mum's side there are French, Dutch and Armenian descendants, which begs the question, when "our country" is taken back where will I be deported to?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    britain has always been a melting pot, the ignorant, nutters and bigots don't care about that, for them things were once better, then 'they' came, now things are worse, it's much easier than confronting their own failings

anyway, back on topic...

hopping back to the grandparents, 50% scottish, 25% english, 25% polish, the latter having managed to get out before the nazis got to them
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Grandparents:- 25% French, 50% English, 25% Irish
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fathers side - pretty definitely English as far as male line goes (which, of course, means nothing whatsoever!).
    Mothers side - mother German, grandfather German, grandmother Polish.

So pretty European really.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rolf F wrote:
    Fathers side - pretty definitely English as far as male line goes (which, of course, means nothing whatsoever!).

You're practically royalty by the sounds of it. Do you have any plans to marry your cousin?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    Born in Italy of an Italian mother and English father and have always considered myself to be both. The Italians call me English and the English call me Italian. Having lived here since I was two I generally considered myself more English than Italian, or at least I did. I've never had an Italian passport as I had never felt the need before now.
    The saddest thing to come out of all this is that some racist fools seems to think it gives them carte blanche to abuse foreigners.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    100% British I suppose, My mother's side of the family is Welsh but i try to keep that quiet. Father's side is all british as far as I know and my surname is Manx

I don't actually live there however...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    50% Irish, 35% English, 15% Portugese royalty with Polish parents in law :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Britishness means a mixture as far as I'm concerned. So, I'm 100% British. I'm also European.

Unfotunately, there are a very significant, possibly a majority, that also consider themselves to be truly British, that I don't identify with, and that hold values that I see as non-British.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Alex99 wrote:
    Britishness means a mixture as far as I'm concerned. So, I'm 100% British. I'm also European.

Unfotunately, there are a very significant, possibly a majority, that also consider themselves to be truly British, that I don't identify with, and that hold values that I see as non-British.
    Part of being British is surely the freedom to be un-British?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

You're practically royalty by the sounds of it. Do you have any plans to marry your cousin?

No, but only because I don't have any cousins.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    I am, or at least I feel, significantly less British after referendum.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    bompington wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:

Part of being British is surely the freedom to be un-British?

No, I don't think so. I see Britishness as (or maybe want Britishness to be) tollerant, secular and multicultural. People can go ahead and not have those values, but to me that is un-British.

It's just my view of what I think Britain should be like. Some people have said they feel "less British" after last Friday's result. I have a feeling, which I think is the same thing, but I don't feel like I have changed, rather a chunk of the UK has.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    Alex99 wrote:
    No, I don't think so. I see Britishness as (or maybe want Britishness to be) tollerant, secular and multicultural. People can go ahead and not have those values, but to me that is un-British.
    Strangely, I have always had the opposite opinion of the majority.
    As such, the result shouldn't have come as a surprise, but it came as a shock. 100% British.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,539
    Fully Welsh as far back as I've managed to check (only 3 generations).
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Scotland via Northern Ireland on my dad's side (Scotland was about 200 years ago mind). Norman and Anglo Saxon on my mum's side - think they're home counties through and through.

So far have lived in Bristol, Durham, Manchester and Aberdeen (and spent substantial amounts of time elsewhere in Scotland), so consider myself very British (and European).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    English on my dad's side, Scottish on my mum's side but born and grew up in England and lived most of my life in England apart from some shortish periods living abroad.

I don't think of myself as particularly patriotic though I must have an attachment because if I think my home town, county or country are being unfairly criticised I will take offence.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    As far as I've looked (or been told), both parents lineage is hewn from the West Yorkshire soil, so...

100% English. 100% British. 100% European. Not necessarily in that order.

Oh, and 100% against Brexit.
  • bompington
    Well, I do have at least one Huguenot ancestor (French protestants fleeing persecution in the 17th-18th centuries) so there has to be a possibility that someone wants to send me back.
    Apart from that there's the usual mishmash of Welsh (my name is Owen, family left Wales for London in late 19th century), Scottish, and English. And I've married into Irish as well...
    The bit of ancestry that pleases me the most is that one of my great-grandmothers came from Broughty Ferry - basically a posh suburb of Dundee where all the Jute barons lived (Jute sacking was a huge industry in Dundee). When I moved to Dundee my Dad was surprised to discover that Broughty Ferry was actually in Dundee - his Gran had always told him that she came from "Broughty Ferry, near Perth": Perth being a much posher county town 20 miles away.
    The family house was a rather nice mansion, but we seem to have come down in the world a bit since then.
  • veronese68
    bompington wrote:
    When I moved to Dundee my Dad was surprised to discover that Broughty Ferry was actually in Dundee - his Gran had always told him that she came from "Broughty Ferry, near Perth": Perth being a much posher county town 20 miles away.
    Was your great grandmother an estate agent?
  • bompington
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    When I moved to Dundee my Dad was surprised to discover that Broughty Ferry was actually in Dundee - his Gran had always told him that she came from "Broughty Ferry, near Perth": Perth being a much posher county town 20 miles away.
    Was your great grandmother an estate agent?
    No, a Victorian. There are vague tales in the family that she "married beneath her station", so she may have been a bit sensitive on that score...
  • veronese68
    bompington wrote:
    No, a Victorian. There are vague tales in the family that she "married beneath her station", so she may have been a bit sensitive on that score...
    That would explain it. That was probably more frowned upon then than being an estate agent is nowadays. :wink:
    I really hope you're not an estate agent. :oops:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    "Britishness" is a state of mind...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    100%, English parents, Welsh grandparents and Scottish great grandparents. Given the way the referendum went, I unfortunately have no options for dual citizenship anywhere. What being British means, beyond ancestry, I'm not really sure.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Prhymeate wrote:
    What being British means, beyond ancestry, I'm not really sure.

irony in a protest vote against government, led on by a multi millionaire ex City broker Euro MP?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    Oh ma boab, I might be related to Bompington. Grandmother (Mor Mor if you're Scandinavian - makes a sense: Mother's Mother) was French Huguenot. Grandfather (Mor Far: My Mothers father) was a dodgy bloke from Dublin.
    Far Far (should have worked this Scandinavian Grandparent system out by now) was Welsh and Far Mor was as cockney as Chas and Dave. Me: (Mor sonn) born in Kenya.
    Right mongrel me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I think both sides of my parents go back to north west Scotland, around 1800 I think, not sure before that. One of my Dad's sisters does actually have a very detailed family tree she has researched but I've not seen it to see how far it goes back and to where.

Britishness by the way..if you don't like cricket then don't even pretend you know what it means :wink:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Both parents were from NE Scotland, and we have tracked the families back into the 1700s, none of them strayed from Banffshire / Aberdeenshire.

So is somewhat odd when my daughter worked for a spell after university in a DNA testing company and we ran some samples; my genetic markers revealed 7-10% genes typical of Vietnam, S E Asia more generally.

So what is nationality? As the saying goes, we're a' Jock Tamson's bairns (look it up)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Welsh, as far back as I can go. Original Britons!

Lived in Scotland for over twenty years and married an Irish.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Welsh(Grand parents) and Scottish(great grand parents) on my mothers side.English(Grand parents) and German/Polish(Great Grand parents)on my dads side.
    I'm a born and bred Yorkshireman.
    So I consider myself to be a European,British Yorkshireman 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Scottish father, English Mother. Some Irish going back a few generations. Go back far enough im sure there is plenty or Saxon, Dane, Norman, Roman, Norse, Angle, Jutes and Picts.

Bloody foreigners huh?