Hip pain

ytchi
ytchi Posts: 61
I did a flat 60 mile ride yesterday and by the end was suffering from fairly severe pain in both hips that's still with me this morning (but easing). That sort of distance is towards the top end of what I usually do but I've done it plenty times previously without problem. The obvious possible causes are:

1. New saddle. First long ride on a wider saddle
2. New shoes. Not sure if it's a factor.
3. Spent a fair bit of time in the drops pushing hard.

Out of those the saddle seems to be most likely culprit as it is a fair bit wider that the previous one (145mm vs 130) but I've no idea is it could cause hip pain. My sit bones are narrow (<100mm) so, in theory, the 130mm arione is better suited. Anyone have an idea of what I should be doing to prevent reoccurrence? I've already put the old saddle back on even though I never found it particularly comfortable.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    muscle pain? joints? side? bum? 'hips' covers a pretty large area, you need to narrow things down a bit
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ytchi
    Feels like it's in or around the hip joints themselves. It doesn't feel as though it's muscular, more of joint/tendon type thing. If I stand up the the soreness is at the top of each leg more or less where there hollow of the glutes are, i.e., low down on the outside of the arse.
  • jimnm
    jimnm Posts: 29
    Your physical state may also be a contributory factor, any history of hip problems in your family. If not, your cycling ergonomic position whilst riding. Might need to check out measurements for seat position both vertically and laterally. Take gloucosamin for to promote good joint health. Can't think of anything else 8)
  • ytchi
    OK, thanks, I guess I just wondering if a saddle that is 'too wide' is known to have the potential to cause hip problems. I've never heard anything about that, it's always seems to be more of comfort factor.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    might be itb related...

http://www.athletico.com/2012/06/05/it- ... solutions/

...do some research, see if you can 'match' your symptoms, though self-diagnosis is always iffy

definitely review your bike set up, is the saddle height/position right for you?

if that fails, you can try your gp, but a physio with cycling expertise is likely to be more help
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ytchi
    edited June 2016
    Thanks. I'm hoping it was just a one off, possibly caused by a combination of factors. I'll look at getting some professional advice if it continues.
  • jimnm
    jimnm Posts: 29
    If one goes down the self diagnosis route, it seems that you end up with every ailment known to man ;)
  • ytchi
    Yeah, I don't think brain tumours can cause hip pain but you never know...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It might be just adjusting to a new riding position but that would normally be a bit sore and stiff not real pain. Hip pain can come from the saddle being too high. I stripped down, cleaned and regreased etc. both my bikes. Somehow i managed to put both saddles over an inch too high. This gave me hip pain. The easy way to check this is put the pedal down towards the ground with the crank arm in line with the seat tube( sort of diagonal forwards). With your feet level on the pedals your leg should be slightly bent and you should be able to lift youself slightly off the saddle. If your feet point downwards, your leg is straight, while not being able to lift yourself off the saddle that will be part of your problem.

After i put the saddle back down again sore muscles for a couple of rides and then fine again.
  • ytchi
    Pretty sure changing the saddle didn't increase the height and I've been riding with it like that for three years now with no trouble but if the pain comes back I'll try dropping it a touch.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    When I started running it killed my hip abductors the first few times. Maybe the slightly wider saddle had a similar effect.
  • ALS8
    ALS8 Posts: 12
    I'd ice them down as they might be really inflamed. If the pain consists I would consider an MRI. There are a few things hip pain can indicate...hip bursitis, hip labrum tear, flexor injury or a hip pointer injury. All the best. Let us know how you make out.
  • ytchi
    Pain has pretty much gone now so no lasting damage so it would seem. For now, until any other evidence comes to light, I'm holding the saddle entirely responsible so I'll see how I get on with the old one next weekend. Cheers.
  • ALS8
    ALS8 Posts: 12
    Glad to hear the pain is gone :) Hoping it stays away. All the best
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    If there was a problem with your hips you'd get groin pain as a first symptom.
    Doing the right stretched will help.