Cycling with type 2 diabetes - what to eat?

sololite
sololite Posts: 15
Hi I am a Bike Radar Newbie,

I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and looking for advice on what to eat before and during the Prudential Ride 100 in July.

I’ve been riding my road bike using High 5 energy drink mix, gels and bars for last 6 months and maybe even 2 years oblivious to fact I was type 2.

My rides are usually 20, 40-55 milers 2-3 times a week. 75 miles is my longest ride and it didn’t knacker me but at 56 and recent convert to road cycling I am taking it easy.

I am under the doc but yet to see the diabetes nutritionist.

The doc seemed relaxed about me continuing to use the above products. She has put me on Metformin to get the high sugar levels down but as these products are high in sugar I am wanting to research other alternatives.

I’d be interested to know what other type 2 diabetes riders are using or helpful links please.

All advice greatly received.

regards,

Chris

Comments

• johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Sugar is what you need for long events. Whether you get it from slow releasing starches in bread or malt loaf or from quick hit type sugars like dextrose or fructose doesn't really matter in the long run and won't affect your diabetes.
    Taking in sugars during exercise is a very different thing to eating sugary foods as part of regular meals
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    ^This^

I am a Type 1 Diabetic, for the past 47 years and I tend to eat enough to get me through a ride but also take High 5's as energy boosts and as sugar top ups if I've got my sums wrong.

Main thought that I have is that you shouldn't over think the situation, to be temporarily in high sugars in itself is not a bad thing.

Best wishes for your sportive and the future.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Are you aware of the Pro Racing team of Diabetics ?

Amazing achievement I think.

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/

They have resources there that will help you.
  • sololite
    sololite Posts: 15
    Thank you so much for responding, it was a great comfort

regards,

Chris