Calories. Garmin or Strava?

Ibaz
Ibaz Posts: 37
I'm new to cycling. Current riding about 100 miles per week.
I use Strava to track my milage - and I was using Garmin to track my calorie intake and output before I started to ride. So i have a Garmin edge 25 on the bike feeding ride data to strava.( I have Garmin speed and cadence sensors fitted)
My question is today, for example, i ride 42 miles. Garmin says I burnt just over 2000 calories, but Strava says 1500 - which is least inaccurate? I know niether are completely accurate - but one is further out than the other.
Cheers

Comments

• denkfaul
    denkfaul Posts: 39
    They're both guesses - use the lowest value.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    At a slight digression..... I rode a sportive a couple of weeks ago and strava had elevation gained close to the organisers route card. But my mates garmin had him at nearly double this. Is this "normal" for Garmin?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    No idea if it is normal or not, but it does rather underline the point that none of this data seems to be particularly reliable.
  • As part of a weight loss program, I've been using a simple calculation based on 40 Kcal used per mile ridden. This has been used in tandem with a calorie deficit aimed at about 1.5 pounds a week loss. As I've lost over 2 pounds per week over the last 3 weeks, I'm wondering if this is slightly low?

I guess the conditions and bike affect things - grinding against a headwind on my M+ equipped Subway, with it's panniers full of laptop, clothes, and stuff should, in theory, burn more than unencumbered riding on the Schwalbe One equipped, Boardman, no?

Currently 209lb at 6'3". I was 217 3 weeks ago.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • Ibaz
    Ibaz Posts: 37
    I do always use the lowest reading but as has already been said conditions and total weight will make a huge difference