Weight Loss Plan

Donie75
Donie75 Posts: 92
Hi,
I've been road cycling for a few years but never really got serious about it. I've always been big since giving up rugby in my early 20's. I peaked at 22.5 stone but I'm now around 20.5 stone. I've made a few attempts to drop weight and had limited success. It looks like I'm going to have 4-6 weeks completely free in the next month and I'm thinking of hitting the bike for a good daily spin. I usually do 40-60km spins and the odd longer one. I understand that diet is 80-90% of the issue but I think I would like to try making a concerted effort over a 6 week period.
Would there be any risk in me doing 60-100km a day everyday for 4 to 6 weeks? I would intend to also mix in some light gym work. Is there any risk doing this while also cutting calories?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No real issue. You will probably get pretty tired by the end of it and your legs won't thank you.

Take some rest days as it will keep you motivated. Do some more relaxing rides (lower heart rate zones) which help fat burning, maybe even without eating first (fasted rides). Also mix it up with some harder intervals to get your HR up and keep things interesting.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Donie75 wrote:
    Would there be any risk in me doing 60-100km a day everyday for 4 to 6 weeks? I would intend to also mix in some light gym work. Is there any risk doing this while also cutting calories?

As you've said, it's mostly about diet anyway and doing 100km a day will make you hungry!

Every day? If you aren't used to it you'll get tired fast, I would look at it more as say three times per week with doing something else or even resting on the other days.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    There are a number of risks and issues with overtraining and if you suddenly start doing 60-100km a day then you may discover some of them. Better to increase it a bit more gently rather than a sudden shock to your body.