Neck spasm, rhomboid tightness, and cycling form

cwiehle
cwiehle Posts: 16
Hey all, quick question. I still consider myself someone new to cycling and am working out bugs on form and such. I recently acquired a neck spasm and my rhomboid is still real tight along my scapulae I think I was riding with locked elbows but I don't remember because I was not paying attention at the time . will this cause shoulder blade tightness and neck tightness and if so what do you guys do as a mental cue to keep your elbows flexed? Thanks Chris

Comments

• Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    I have a trauma-induced injury to my left rhomboid. Physical therapy had me doing a bunch of exercises and stretches. It's better but there's still a ways to go.

You're using your muscles in new ways when you take up cycling, so it can easily cause tightening and aches.

Look up some rhomboid stretches and exercises, here's one (I do it off a counter with my body straight at about 45 degrees): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wWHA0eJhG4

I never paid attention to ensuring that my arms are slightly flexed - I just did it automatically, perhaps because of shocks from cracks and bumps annoying me.
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • cwiehle
    cwiehle Posts: 16
    Nice thanks. That def looks like something I need to do.