Not sure if i was mis sold my bike. help!

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Evans staff are minimum wage (often kiddies) who only know what they know about their own riding.
    So unless you know many teenagers that go touring (rather than BMX'ing around a skate park) then you really should not trust them to give you advice.

Their 'Staff Answers' on the website are also often wrong and not based on actual knowledge of the product IME.

You really need to man up and take more responsibility for your own research IMO.
    If you are a big enough boy to venture that far from home, then you should be mature enough to get the right bike without relying on one guy from Evans.

If its any financial comfort, I know a guy who bought an X6 and he only noticed it could seat just 4 people quite some time after getting it home :shock:

Did you not think about asking on here first?
    Asking on here 5 months after purchase just to back you up in trying to blame someone else is just going to get you more grief.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Next up, man tries to return six month old Porsche Boxster because the salesman didn't tell him there were no rear seats for babies and the man thinks he might have mentioned he was hoping to get his girlfriend pregnant at some point in the future.

This!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    does it have an aluminium seatpost? If so then you can get a clip that goes around that for the top mount of a rack and get a rack that uses the wheel skewers at the bottom to mount there. Would be no problem at all. Alternatively, you could use a seatpost only mounted rack which has no lower mounting points but that probably wouldnt take the full load if you are camping etc.

Even if its a carbon seatpost (which means those top mounts cannot be used) you may still be able to replace the seat collar with one which has rack mount points on it and again use the wheel skewer for mounting the lower.

Using the wheel skewers may limit the choice of racks but there are some out there, like this one: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Blackburn-Exped ... sku=143113 (comes with the skewer and the seatpost mount I think)
  • apreading
    I think some racks may also be able to use the mudguard mount at the top, if there is one on the bridge. And the mudguard mounts at the bottom (if there are any) would probably be OK too but if loading with heavy stuff then the wheel skewers may give more peace of mind carrying the weight. There are lots of options that dont involve p-clips.
  • apreading
    Just looked up the bike and it has a carbon seatpost but you could easily replace with an alloy one when you want to use a rack. If does have mudguard mounts that you may be able to use too. There are simple ways that should allow you to do what you want on that bike.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    The blame game. What a joke.

At least have the wherewithal to think about what you're buying and what you're going to use it for.

I go to buy a car; I say I like to drive fast. The saleseman says this Golf Gti is a great car for that. I buy it. Then moan because it won't do 200mph.....jesus....
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Sorry to sound harsh but how about taking some personal responsibility? You clearly have access to the internet so you can research these things and the information of the rack mounts is likely to be easily available.

Your best bet is going to be selling it on and getting another - think of it as money paid for a life lesson.
  • apreading
    Isnt this the same bike: http://road.cc/content/tech-news/191417 ... g-panniers EXPENSIVE THOUGH!!!

You should read this: http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/quest ... m-vs-tubus lots of people doing it.

Maybe this:6c679b0a29e3dbf1879c35b0d8e2a1ac.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    apreading wrote:
    Just looked up the bike and it has a carbon seatpost but you could easily replace with an alloy one when you want to use a rack. If does have mudguard mounts that you may be able to use too. There are simple ways that should allow you to do what you want on that bike.

If the bike fits you and is otherwise a good ride, I'd just take the advice above and move on.

We bought a cheap fridge freezer from Argos. Mentioned when we ordered it that it would be going in the garage. Delivery men placed it in the garage for us. Later in the year we noticed the freezer randomly defrosting. Complained. Took legal advice. Got nowhere. Looking on their website it says it's not suitable to use in a garage. Bit of research and find out that cheapo fridge / freezers have a single thermostat, so when the ambient temp drops below that of the fridge, the whole thing shuts down. So the fridge is fine but we have a freezer we can't use in the winter. Which is handy at Christmas.

So we're going to sell the thing and buy one that is suitable for garage use. Lesson learned. We spent a lot more time researching the washing machine, cooker and dishwasher, and we bought them from John Lewis!
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    The OP is taking the piss. Full stop.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I just bought the new Venge 'cos Specialized said it would take 4 minutes off my one hour TT and yet I still can't beat Wiggins or Dowsett. I want my money back!
  • apreading
    I just bought the new Venge 'cos Specialized said it would take 4 minutes off my one hour TT and yet I still can't beat Wiggins or Dowsett. I want my money back!

Think yourself lucky, I bought a 57cm frame bike ten years ago and I just measured it at 56.8cm - they duped me and my cycling has suffered ever since. If they cant give me back my 2mm or a refund then I am going to take them to court for every penny they have!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Reading with disbelief and im not sure this isnt a wind up?

Evans have no contractual liability to supply you a bike for touring unless specifically requested? And even then i think you would need it back up in writing as anything "said in the shop" will be impossible to prove.

As for what you have been told by CAB completely false. You said by self admission you intend to do heavy touring and carry a tent? A simple search shows up the best options. To have the acumen ti join a forum and ask advice after the event seems a lot more effort than just seeking advice beforehand?

Your best bet is to just sell it and buy the correct bike you should have bought in the first place.