Nutrition

GerryM01
GerryM01 Posts: 8
I have increased my mileage recently as I am in training for a couple of sportive's.
Along with that, i have been trying to shed a few pounds so have cut back on the carb intake and mainly been taking protein.
The problem that i have been having is increased pain in my quads and calf's post cycle and huge increase in fatigue.
I am sleeping at least 8 hours per night but it is still taking me all my time to get up in the morning and do my commute cycle.
In the ever changing world of dietary advice, what should i be doing for the next 10 days before my first sportive? Should i take on-board more carbs as in carb loading of old or stick to my current regimen?
Any and all advice gratefully received.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If the fatigue roughly corresponds with your diet change, then you might have the answer to your own question there. Ordinarily, I wouldn't be suggesting that anyone do anything different in the run up to an event - but in your case I'm not so sure. Either way 'carb loading' is never actually necessary assuming you are eating a normal balanced diet (which might not be the case here)...
  • WHS - and you probably want to address your bike position as well.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Best approach is eat a healthy balanced diet. The pro's try various adjustments to their diets but do have medical and nutritional experts to help fine tune them. Ignore all fads and strange diets, not eating enough carbs just means you lack energy.
  • zoomer42
    zoomer42 Posts: 124
    WHS - and you probably want to address your bike position as well.

^ This

If your quads and calf's are destroyed after a training ride, you're either doing something very right or your position on the bike is wrong.

You may not of realized your set up is off doing average miles, but if you've now upped things, you'll see more and more problems. Seat too low for example will not be doing your legs or your knees any good.

Go and get a bike fit. You'll enjoy cycling a lot more.
  • GerryM01
    GerryM01 Posts: 8
    Had a bike fit when i got the bike. Position feels fine and it has only been recently i have noticed the pain in my legs.
    I do suspect it is to do with an increase in mileage and power output but i was just wondering if there was any magic advice to be had!
    Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate you taking the time to reply
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    I wonder if the clue here is actually in your description of having to get up for your commute by bike, and isn't about what you eat.
    Personally, I'd suggest a maximum of 3 days commuting a week for now, and at least one full rest day a week.
    In nutrition terms, I'd suggest that a normal balanced diet, albeit with lower carbs,is fine for a sportive. If it is over, say, 100km then some gels in reserve will ensure you can get round.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Carbs give you energy, without them you won't be riding very far.