Criterium du Dauphine stage 5 **Spoiler*

1235»

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Some chat elsewhere about Contador attacking on the penultimate climb and creating a sustainable gap on the descent (supposed to be tricky and raining). Prob far too risky tbh but let's see.
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    Daniel T in polka dot. :-)

Nice job good guy too
    Turned out nice again!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RonB wrote:
    Some chat elsewhere about Contador attacking on the penultimate climb and creating a sustainable gap on the descent (supposed to be tricky and raining). Prob far too risky tbh but let's see.
    It's the sort of thing he'd try in a Grand Tour (and has pulled off - Vuelta 2012, but also failed with - Tour 2011), but it would a hell of a coup in a shorter race, one that I doubt he has in hm.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross wrote:
    Yeah, I remember one was touted as a climber and the other as someone who had a decent sprint after hilly races and thought it was Adam who fell into the latter category.

T'other way around

Kudos to Adam for keeping it together - can't be particularly easy given what's happening with Simon
  • ddraver wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Have we heard Contador's explanation yet?

Sore toe? Sticky handlebars? Dodgy heart rate monitor?

#Bertscuse

Hehe

#Bertsplaining
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

#Bertsplaining

I demand this become a board meme.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    "I need more speed in my legs, I know. I've said that before the race. I'm happy because the time gap wasn't big and day-by-day we'll go better.”
    #Bertsplaining
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    #Bertsplaining

I can't post the picture as I'm only on my iPad and I don't know if it can be done from here but there's a picture on this link...

http://b95radio.iheart.com/onair/mckay-donuts-37444/sesame-street-not-happy-about-a-14675471/

That well...

#Bertsplaining
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Is it both the Yates brothers that are doping or just one? I can't keep up.

I doubt Porte has the strength of character to be a gt winner and contafor whilst not at his best is unquestionably the most prolific gt champion in decades. There's too much hate here sometimes.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198

I doubt Porte has the strength of character to be a gt winner and contafor whilst not at his best is unquestionably the most prolific gt champion in decades. There's too much hate here sometimes.

Shakes head :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,658
    Pross wrote:
    Yeah, I remember one was touted as a climber and the other as someone who had a decent sprint after hilly races and thought it was Adam who fell into the latter category.

T'other way around

Kudos to Adam for keeping it together - can't be particularly easy given what's happening with Simon

What, not being able to used the banned substance his brother was?
  • Pross wrote:

T'other way around

What, not being able to used the banned substance his brother was?

Tut tut, Rick, not the usual joie de vivre we've all come to love and know from you

Dark clouds over SW6 this morning? It's quite pleasant out here in Meribel territory this morn
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    I liked the interview with Richie at the end on the ITV coverage, like a dog whose just been told off for doing a large poo on the new shag pile. They need to stick a post-it on his power meter which says "I ride for BMC"
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002

Earlier in this very thread you made a post which simply said:
    i hate froome
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Porte really is a bit thick.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    davidof wrote:
    I liked the interview with Richie at the end on the ITV coverage, like a dog whose just been told off for doing a large poo on the new shag pile. They need to stick a post-it on his power meter which says "I ride for BMC"

I don't really understand this comment. Riders work together to get rid of other rivals. That's exactly what happened. Porte gained loads of time on Bertie. Job done.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    adr82 wrote:

Earlier in this very thread you made a post which simply said:
    i hate froome

:D:D:D

Reminds me of this - https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/739941250841907201
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    It's quite pleasant out here in Meribel territory this morn

How's the snowboarding (or skiing if you must)?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Joelsim wrote:
    davidof wrote:

I don't really understand this comment. Riders work together to get rid of other rivals. That's exactly what happened. Porte gained loads of time on Bertie. Job done.

Ah, but remember this is Contador of whom we speak.
    Cast your mind back to Paris-Nice and the much wailing and gnashing of teeth in respect of Tony Gallopin giving the odd pull for Geraint Thomas.
    Normal tactics are not normal when used to the disadvantage of the great one. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2016
    Joelsim wrote:
    davidof wrote:

Agreed. Usually the winner of stage race is not so much the one who wins it but more the last one to lose it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    Joelsim wrote:
    davidof wrote:

You don't help the strongest rider in the race.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Joelsim wrote:
    davidof wrote:

You can't say that like it's some sort of absolute rule. Sometimes you should help. You never know what might happen on the remaining stages of a race and it makes sense to take chances to improve your own GC position over everyone else whenever you can. And the strongest rider can change from day to day...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    So Porte shouldn't have tried to put some time into Bert himself? He should have just settled for loosing time to Froome and remaining behind Contador on GC?

I doubt his team would be happy with that, I'm sure they would rather he was second on GC and a handful of seconds behind Froome than third and loads of seconds behind.

Froome could fall off today or tomorrow and then Porte's won it. Alternatively he could have shot his own chances by refusing to 'help' someone else (Froome would have won that stage without Porte).

The thing that makes cycling so interesting is exactly that dynamic. That you have to assess situations that might help someone else yes but they also help you. It's subtle, it isn't all or nothing.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    adr82 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    davidof wrote:

You can't say that like it's some sort of absolute rule. Sometimes you should help. You never know what might happen on the remaining stages of a race and it makes sense to take chances to improve your own GC position over everyone else whenever you can. And the strongest rider can change from day to day...

I would concede that if you believe your best chance of winning GC is that Froome crashes/suffers some misfortune then helping Froome is the correct decision.

Or if you've agree a cash figure, stage win as payment.

If you've any ambition to win the thing yourself you sit on Froome's wheel. Let him work and let Contador do all the work behind. At 1.5km to go, when he asks you to work. You tell him to eff off.

As a tangential point - Froome really is a ruthless bastard.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I expect Sky will be asking at what stage they left it to late to reel in the 2 leaders, letting Bardet move up to second was unwise, bearing in mind he could have / should have won and picked up the extra seconds.

Lil' Richie is a lovely lad but rides like he's still part of Sky so will never be a GC winner. He didn't show any initiative, riding behind Froome until he was dropped. Berti likewise seems to be feeling the pace.

I guess the conclusion is that only Sky's domestiques functioned properly and the other GC riders were knobbled by a lack of options. Everyone let Sky dominate and tried to take a free ride.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP