Criterium du Dauphine stage 5 **Spoiler*

Comments

• d.mart
    d.mart Posts: 88
    Was I seeing things or was there a Sky rider riding back down the course?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    1s over Porte, Yates and Martin 19, Bertie 21s
    Bonuses to be added as well - think it'll be 5s over Porte and 31s over Contador in the end?
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    I cheated and missed Bertie crossing the line because I was being talked at by first born, so replayed it on Sky.

Froome leads Porte by 7, Bertie 27, Martin 37, Alaphillipe 42
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    GC
    Froome
    Porte +7
    Contador +27
    Martin +37
    Allaphillipe +42
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I got interrupted and missed the end BOOOO
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    d.mart wrote:
    They presumably didn't have space to park the buses after the finish, so they had to ride back down to get to them. I guess it's usually OK if it's an uphill finish like that as opposed to a sprint :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    d.mart wrote:
    Was it near the end? Sometimes the team buses are parked a bit back down the course so they double back to get to them
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • d.mart
    d.mart Posts: 88
    ah of course, just seemed a little soon to be letting finishers ride towards guys racing for places
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Daniel T in polka dot. :-)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited June 2016
    Surprised at the way Contador crumbled, today.
    I really thought that he might be the strongest climber at this point in the Tour prep.
    A Sky 1-2. 8) :lol:
    All this debate over the 3km rule and a handful of seconds, but it's Bardet that I feel sorry for.
    Clearly one of the strongest in the race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Any decent coverage of tomorrow's stage? By my reckoning eurosport will join after col de la madelaine and may well miss Montée des Frasses. I guess all the big guns will almost certainly hold fire until the MTF - but would be nice to see the Madelaine
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    If Richie Porte can just put together 3 weeks without illness. Froome, Quintana, Porte, +others would be a spectacle.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Have we heard Contador's explanation yet?

Sore toe? Sticky handlebars? Dodgy heart rate monitor?
  • bigcgilmour
    bigcgilmour Posts: 106
    imatfaal wrote:
    Any decent coverage of tomorrow's stage? By my reckoning eurosport will join after col de la madelaine and may well miss Montée des Frasses. I guess all the big guns will almost certainly hold fire until the MTF - but would be nice to see the Madelaine

Haven't checked but itv were sposed to show sat and sun stages live
  • blazing_saddles
    imatfaal wrote:

ITV 4
    3pm-4-45pm tomorrow
    12-30pm-2-15pm Sunday
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Milton50 wrote:

He thought he needed to get over the hill. And then found he already was.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    imatfaal wrote:

ITV 4
    3pm-4-45pm tomorrow
    12-30pm-2-15pm Sunday

The only coverage starts at 3pm, that's all ASO are providing by the looks of things.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Milton50 wrote:

#Bertscuse
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I don't know why people are expecting so much of contador. He's already been beaten twice this year by skys number 3
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 wrote:
    I don't know why people are expecting so much of contador. He's already been beaten twice this year by skys number 3
    He occasionally wins against softer oppostition impressively so people think he's back to his pre-ban form. But the truth is he hasn't stood on a Tour podium since 2010 or won a stage since 2009. That's the days of Sastre, Armstrong and Menchov. Andy Schleck has had more recent Tour success than Contador.

(Happy birthday Andy - 31 today. A month younger than Froome. I wish he was still going)
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Daniel Friebe is doing some great work as on the ground reporter for ITV - hope he continues this role at the Tour
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    Daniel Friebe is doing some great work as on the ground reporter for ITV - hope he continues this role at the Tour
    I'm hoping he can do both that and the podcast. ITV of course have had their own podcast at the Tour - maybe time for a temporary merger.
  • blazing_saddles
    So, it's not just the flat stages that Bertie needs neutralised from the 3km to go mark.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    He occasionally wins against softer oppostition impressively so people think he's back to his pre-ban form. But the truth is he hasn't stood on a Tour podium since 2010 or won a stage since 2009. That's the days of Sastre, Armstrong and Menchov. Andy Schleck has had more recent Tour success than Contador.

(Happy birthday Andy - 31 today. A month younger than Froome. I wish he was still going)

To add to this - Sick Boy (or Graeme Obree) knows the score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQD-dXfHrvk

So there you go. The 2014 Vuelta was The Name of the Rose and the 2015 Giro was The Untouchables
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Good stage that and an all Anglophone top 4 to upset the French. Froome seems to be making a trademark of looking in trouble before going on a blistering attack, good poker tactics. I still struggle with the Yates twins, is Adam the one who has always been considered the more likely to be a GT contender?
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Froome seems to be making a trademark of looking in trouble before going on a blistering attack, good poker tactics.
    I don't think he's playing the others though. I think he just has utter confidence in his own ability compared to the rest that he'll ride as he wants, when he wants. The only one who can rattle him is Quintana.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I think Froome's a cannier rider than people give him credit for. At least nowadays anyway.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Good stage that and an all Anglophone top 4 to upset the French. Froome seems to be making a trademark of looking in trouble before going on a blistering attack, good poker tactics. I still struggle with the Yates twins, is Adam the one who has always been considered the more likely to be a GT contender?
    No-one really knows with the Yates. I always had them pegged as Simon for GC, Adam for Stages/Classics. Maybe not.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Yeah, I remember one was touted as a climber and the other as someone who had a decent sprint after hilly races and thought it was Adam who fell into the latter category.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Adam, imo, came from almost nowhere at L'Avenir. I didn't think he had any chance of a World Tour ride. After that I had Simon as the more punchy, one-day rider, and Adam less explosive, less dynamic, but better in the high mountains. And then Adam went and won San Sebastian. So, basically, who knows.