5 Weeks to 100 miler - Training advice

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
I am returning to cycling after around 3 years out through injury. Ive been riding regular since April - and most weekends can do a hilly 50 averaging a paltry 14mph - but this is pretty easy now....

Ive signed up for the Birmingham 100 on July 10 - The training plan in my head is

Increase my big ride by 10 miles per week - to get to around 80 miles

2 midweek rides of 25 miles

2 commutes to work (14 miles round trip)

1 weekly yoga session

3 45-minute weight training gym sessions (I do this anyway)

My aim is to get round the course without dying on my arse - I would like to keep that average if possible - but my main priority is not to wobble over the finish line like a jabbering wreck !!!!

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    edited June 2016
    I suspect you'll be fine.

From March I was doing 6 commutes a week, 12 miles each way giving 66 miles as a base, then I would chuck a longer ride in on my day off ranging from 32 miles through to 52 miles. Most weeks, not all, but on average 100 miles per week.

So, last Friday 'for fun' I rode the long way from Bristol to South Devon and it was absolutely fine, though pretty hot. Thank fully I met a guy watering his garden half way and he kindly gave me water. At 80 miles I felt great. What did have a mild impact was my carbon soles. I ride Bont shoes and are very stiff, and at about 75 miles, I really felt it, but it soon passed. I suspect a better insole such would help. In context, the last time I rode north of 80 miles was 2012 so it has been a while.

Good luck, you'll nail it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just keep riding. By all means do yoga and weights, but I wouldn't expect it's doing anything to help your aerobic endurance..
  • kingrollo
    Imposter wrote:
    Just keep riding. By all means do yoga and weights, but I wouldn't expect it's doing anything to help your aerobic endurance..

Yes - thats part of the rehab from a weird hamstring\hip injury. It doesn't affect my performance on the bike, but doing the stuff has enabled me to sit comfortably on the bike for longer - and I hope (one day) to look good with my shirt off !
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sounds fine, if it's for rehab then it makes sense. Other than that, just keep hitting the miles at the weekends. I don't think you'll have too many problems on the day..
  • kingrollo
    Imposter wrote:
    Sounds fine, if it's for rehab then it makes sense. Other than that, just keep hitting the miles at the weekends. I don't think you'll have too many problems on the day..

Even got a bit of wet weather weather practice in last night !!!