Womens Black cycling shoes, yay or nay?

cyclingkate
cyclingkate Posts: 36
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,
After some great advice r.e my knee pain from the forum, and an independent physio, I am buying some cycling shoes.
I am a female rider and would like to know...are black cycling shoes a fashion disaster, or are they cool?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Have you tried mumsnet?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Kate, how about you ride what you like!
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Have you tried mumsnet?

I'm not sure if that is a genuine suggestion or are you implying that they are not cool? :lol:
  • mamil314 wrote:
    Kate, how about you ride what you like!

Very true :) I'm on a tight budget though and would rather spend it on the right kit!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Nothing wrong with black shoes. Should probably avoid white socks with them, as with all black shoes.

Like all cycling clothing though, colour can be a red herring. There are great looking black shoes and poor looking white ones. But the most important thing is fit.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    I'd say 'Yay' but on the proviso that your socks have some colour/design and match your jersey ...

Plus if you're budget is tight black will stay looking nice longer than white shoes which pick up scuffs pretty quick ...

My partner had black shoes (with light blue accents) to begin with and they looked fine as she had loads of blue kit to match ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    As I read this, a guy cycled past wearing black shoes with hi-viz yellow socks, and he certainly didn't look like a fashion disaster. So go for it, unless an extra X chromosome somehow makes black shoes unworkable.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Black all the way for me. Classic look, I don't like the rainbow-footed look, but that's just my opinion.

Also works for football boots, black just looks so much better IMO, but I suppose the manufacturers want their sponsored athletes to showcase the myriad of colours that's available.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    As long has they are comfy and fit , does it really matter what colour they are?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    My gf has black Diadoras for the winter, and white Mavics for the summer, black is far more practical. and goes with anything.

The vast majority of my shoes are black and yellow, by design!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Dark shoes are far more practical than white. I swear they were only invented to make us replace them every year. My bike shoes last forever.....
  • Fenix wrote:
    Dark shoes are far more practical than white. I swear they were only invented to make us replace them every year. My bike shoes last forever.....

Thanks - that is a very good point!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    black might be practical but other colours, like white, make you go faster.
  • Daniel B wrote:
    My gf has black Diadoras for the winter, and white Mavics for the summer, black is far more practical. and goes with anything.

The vast majority of my shoes are black and yellow, by design!

Thanks for the advice!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I'm on my second pair of these
    Cheap as chips, some colour choice and pretty decent quality for the price - the first pair lasted me for years. Only snag - pretty limited size choice: I had to get the white/red highlight ones. But at least that means I'll go faster.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    When 99% of all other riders on the road seem to be in either white or fluo yellow shoes, then black shoes are definitely cool...
  • Imposter wrote:
    When 99% of all other riders on the road seem to be in either white or fluo yellow shoes, then black shoes are definitely cool...

I like your thinking 8)
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I have black shoes and wear white socks, black socks, fluro socks, but do tie it into my kit, the more important decision is the length of the sock, with the longer sock (just under the calf muscle) being my preference as it looks better!

Saying that I am about to buy a pair of white shoes as well for racing and for the summer, the black ones will then be resigned to winter and bad weather, the socks however will remain long!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    It can only be black for me, but then I only ever wear black when cycling apart from a white helmet. I personally don't like brightly coloured cycling gear, Ill leave looking like a Christmas tree to others.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I concur with Imposter and currently have my eyes on these in black and green.
    http://www.cronoteam.it/en/products/road/futura2/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Rokt wrote:
    It can only be black for me, but then I only ever wear black when cycling apart from a white helmet. I personally don't like brightly coloured cycling gear, Ill leave looking like a Christmas tree to others.

Funnily enough, I used to have a Christmas tree that was almost black.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I concur with Imposter and currently have my eyes on these in black and green.
    http://www.cronoteam.it/en/products/road/futura2/

Nice 8)
  • Nothing wrong with black shoes. Should probably avoid white socks with them, as with all black shoes.

Like all cycling clothing though, colour can be a red herring. There are great looking black shoes and poor looking white ones. But the most important thing is fit.

No white socks...Got it! Thanks
  • type:epyt wrote:
    I'd say 'Yay' but on the proviso that your socks have some colour/design and match your jersey ...

Plus if you're budget is tight black will stay looking nice longer than white shoes which pick up scuffs pretty quick ...

My partner had black shoes (with light blue accents) to begin with and they looked fine as she had loads of blue kit to match ...

Great thank you for your advice!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    All black S-Works with white Specialized pro tall socks 8)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Rokt wrote:

Funnily enough, I used to have a Christmas tree that was almost black.

Was that before or after the lights short-circuited and burned it to a crisp? :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I have black mtb shoes which i wear on the road if I'm on the cross bike and tbh they can look naff with the wrong sock combo - black shoes can look good, I mean people wore black for a century so there is that classic look you can get with them - they just don't always match your kit as easily as white.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • JesseD
    Nothing wrong with black shoes and white socks IMO, or vice versa, what is wrong is pro kit, just looks naff on anybody but a pro.

Nothing worse than seeing a fat middle aged bloke in Sky kit, or even worse miss-matched kit.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    JesseD wrote:
    Nothing wrong with black shoes and white socks IMO, or vice versa, what is wrong is pro kit, just looks naff on anybody but a pro.

Nothing worse than seeing a fat middle aged bloke in Sky kit, or even worse miss-matched kit.

Not sure i follow your logic. Surely, it would be much worse if he was spending time on a couch or in a pub.
  • JesseD
    May I refer to Rule #17

Team kit is for members of the team - Wearing Pro team kit is also questionable if you’re not paid to wear it. If you must fly the colors of Pro teams, all garments should match perfectly, i.e no Mapei jersey with Kelme shorts and Telekom socks.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

The exception to the rule is of course old school cycling kit which of course is just cool!