Criterium du Dauphine stage 1 **Spoiler*

2»

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Gweeds wrote:
    I would but 1 sportive ever was enough for me.

I might just nut a random instead

I might try that at the traffic lights on the commuter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Gweeds wrote:
    Can't say I've ever seen people nutting each other in sprints at sportives.

Try it - no-one gets near crashing.

Seems a bit of fuss about nothing to me.

Agreed. Part and parcel of a sprint, no?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    andyp wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Except for the obvious parallel where ASO threw Mark Renshaw out of the tour for being far more restrained than that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Except for the obvious parallel where ASO threw Mark Renshaw out of the tour for being far more restrained than that...

Renshaw also baulked Farrar - intentionally or not. And that was in the final stages of the sprint rather than 1km out. And Katusha were just as guilty of strong arm tactics today. Plus the renshaw incident happened at the tour, where the spotlight is far brighter - and hence the pressure that Something Must be Done.

I imagine words will be had with all parties - Boassen Hagen and what looked like a Bora rider were threatening to get a bit frisky too, and there was an AG2R rider on the receiving end of some enthusiastic jostling too, iirc.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    In fairness i thought it was harsh to throw off Renshaw.

Then again, I don't think this is worthy of being thrown off too, so what do I know?

(by the way, if you want to see how sprints have changed, watch that whole clip. Serious bumfight, veering all over the place).
  • rick_chasey
    IF we're being picky, it's the head-to-head contact that's the main problem re Renshaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1JtMpBiSWQ

It's probably fair to suggest a competitor shouldn't have to deal with blows to the head from other competitors.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Renshaw being thrown off was massively harsh, agreed. And a loss for the race.

We need more people chucking bidons at each other.

My phone corrected that to bisons.

Perhaps a more interesting option.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    tours-france-australian-champion-robbie-mcewen-pushes-his-compatriot-picture-id53193423

This only landed McEwen with a demotion on the stage and star of a rival team's mattress advert.

Where did those rivalries go?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Gweeds wrote:
    What the hell is a sportive. ??
    Some sort of Race or an Audax or Reliability Trial.

I've had to use my head where I couldn't get my shoulder in to fend off another rider while raciong on the track without Brakes. Racing I said.
    I never understood the Fuss about Renshaw.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Can't agree that's a regular sprint, though Katusha were out of order on that one.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    deejay wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    What the hell is a sportive. ??
    Some sort of Race or an Audax or Reliability Trial.

I've had to use my head where I couldn't get my shoulder in to fend off another rider while raciong on the track without Brakes. Racing I said.
    I never understood the Fuss about Renshaw.
    There's a difference between using your head/shoulder to 'fend off' someone who's trying to take your bit of road and going in head first because you want their bit of road. It was too aggressive imo.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    It was a bit stupid I thought, especially the second one. It didn't get him a place, he actually leant right out. I could understand if they were right up against each other and he was getting him to clear off.