Ultegra Chain and cassette replacement

2»

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Carbonator wrote:

Why do you think I walk up hills etc?

Your jealousy is very sad.

I dunno - just a feeling. Why on earth do you think I am jealous of you? Do you really think that highly of yourself?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Only a cycling noob would buy a Shimano chain (they all snap btw). Real pro's buy KMC. The de facto standard. :)

It doesn't matter how long they last. It's how quick they rust. Tiagra chains rust faster.

Ask Shimano why. :lol::o:)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Why do you think I walk up hills etc?

Your jealousy is very sad.

I dunno - just a feeling. Why on earth do you think I am jealous of you? Do you really think that highly of yourself?

Did not mean of me, just of more expensive kit.
    I am very modest 8)

Nope, never do the walk of shame :oops:
    Would rather turn around (not that I have)!

Its only a chain, just get out and ride guys.
    Its worth a few quid to me, but if its not to you then thats np :wink:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    OP Here,

The tool arrived - and the chain is indeed well sh*gged - the tool goes all the way down even on the 1.0 measure - a geezer on you tube reckons if it measures 1.0 - you probably need new chain rings ?

Can the chain rings wait - as I can really finance those yet?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    kingrollo wrote:
    OP Here,

The tool arrived - and the chain is indeed well sh*gged - the tool goes all the way down even on the 1.0 measure - a geezer on you tube reckons if it measures 1.0 - you probably need new chain rings ?

Pop the new chain and cassette on, if it rides like a sack of spanners then worry about the chainrings.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As above, fit the new chain and cassette and see how you go. Make sure you size the chain correctly. You'll soon find out if the chain is skipping on the chainrings if you try a few hill starts in a high gear. I've replaced several badly worn chains only to find that the new chain skipped on the worn cassette, but never found I had to replace a chainring too.
  • Anonymous
    kingrollo wrote:
    OP Here,

Now there's a surprise :roll:
    The people saying to get a chain checker first to check a 6000 mile chain just wasted a little bit of your life that you will never get back lol.

As above, probably try it and see re chainrings.

More to the point, are you getting Tiagra or Ultegra?
  • kingrollo
    Carbonator wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    OP Here,

Now there's a surprise :roll:
    The people saying to get a chain checker first to check a 6000 mile chain just wasted a little bit of your life that you will never get back lol.

As above, probably try it and see re chainrings.

More to the point, are you getting Tiagra or Ultegra?

I was hoping to pick one up from a car boot !!!!

Nah - Ultegra ....£13.00
  • Anonymous
    kingrollo wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

More to the point, are you getting Tiagra?

Nah, fcuk that - Ultegra ....£13.00

Good man :twisted:
  • kingrollo
    The chain and cassette are on the way....

So today I decides to pop out for a sneaky 25....and guess what..?????.....6 miles in.....guess what....the f****n chain snapped!!!...i blame big Ian for noticing it was knackered...it was fine up until then...

So now I have to do my Sunday 50 on the winter hack...!!!
  • kingrollo
    O/P here - Got the lbs to fit the chain and cassette for me.

Went for a 25 mile ride tonight, real problems in gears 1 and 2 - really noisy and jumping gears. My mate a had a look and reckons the chain rings are ok - he tried for about an hour to re index it the gears but could get them to shift properly - shifting up was ok - but can't change down .....he reckons it might be the mech ? - and reckoned the chain rings were ok ....

Any thoughts - bike has done 6000 miles, and TBH im not great at maintenance - so it could be the mech ?
  • imposter2.0
    Sounds like you just need to re-index the rear mech - there shouldn't be any other reason for it...
  • kingrollo
    Imposter wrote:
    Sounds like you just need to re-index the rear mech - there shouldn't be any other reason for it...

You don't reckon the mech or jockey wheels might need replacing after 6,000 miles
  • imposter2.0
    As long as the jockeys still spin and still have teeth, it won't be them. The mech is just a bit of metal, so it won't be that either. Either re-attach or replace the cable and/or outers.
  • kingrollo
    Imposter wrote:
    As long as the jockeys still spin and still have teeth, it won't be them. The mech is just a bit of metal, so it won't be that either. Either re-attach or replace the cable and/or outers.

OK - its gone back to the shop - will keep you posted...
  • kingrollo
    LBS replaced the gear cable - and a quick 5 minute spin tonight and it seemed fine - hopefully its all sorted now.

what should i should do about maintenance going forward -? chain bath and lube after every ride ?