Endurance Bike for an Older Rider

mcxfisher
mcxfisher Posts: 39
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Thank you for letting me join the Forum.

I am 66 and have been cycling for the past 4 years since the doctor told me to stop running to preserve my knees. I do about 2,000 miles per year (work is 22) on a Forme Longcliffe 1.0 alloy that has been professionally fitted. My lower spine is not great owing to historic injury, so at the moment my radius of action is limited to 50-60 miles. As a result I am looking for something equally quick but more comfortable, especially on North Yorkshire's chippy roads. After lots of research and 8 test rides I have eliminated lots of possibilities and got down to 2 contenders: the Cannonade Synapse Carbon; and the Trek Domane 5.2. They meet the requirement but are very different in character, which makes the final decision difficult. Accordingly I should be grateful for any views on their relative merits for an older rider.

Michael

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    No problem about joining the forum - I've sent you an invoice...

Age isn't really the issue - fit is. Both will do the job equally well, so the only realistic answer is to try both and decide.
  • mcxfisher
    That's the problem! I have tried both round 10 mile courses (with 5 miles overlap, compared splits etc) without a clear cut winner leaping out at me. Hence I am hoping for some external experience and insight that may help me to decide.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Flip a coin. Both bikes will as wuick as each other. Pick the most comfy over 50 miles.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    What did you find different ?

If little real difference choose the one you like the look of.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I'm a bit younger than you but do have a long standing back problem as a result of a helicopter crash in the early 1990s - it's not there all the time but can flare up now and then and I can get aches if a bike is not set up properly.

I owned a Madone in around the mid-2000s which was a great bike (and which died as a result of an accident) but I suspect the modern version (which I have never ridden) is a very different beast and it seems to be well regarded. However, I now own a 2015 Synapse Carbon which is a fantastic now I have got it set up properly and fitted with a Fizik Antares saddle. I find it very comfortable over distance (126Km is my longest ride but I appreciate that is not very far to some on BR) and can't speak highly enough of it.

A couple of other points - Whatever you buy, try to get a decent bike fit - it can make a world of difference which might only become apparent after you have actually ridden the bike for a while and realise that you do not hurt anywhere! If you don't know where to go, put a post here on BR asking for suggestions in your area - you won't be the only member who lives there!

Apart from knowing that the bike is probably roughly the right size, I personally have always been very sceptical about the benefits of a very short test ride. Saying that, you would be lucky to get anything else and it makes the quality of advice from the shop even more important.

Finally, welcome to the forum.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Pick the one that will fit 28 or 32 size tyres, most comfort will come from tyre pressure.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    FatTed wrote:
    Pick the one that will fit 28 or 32 size tyres, most comfort will come from tyre pressure.

^^ that
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    What a nice conundrum to have!

I do not have any experience of the Domane, but bought my Synapse Aluminium on something of a whim last winter.
    Fitted carbon stem and bars, and it is so comfy it is verging on the ridiculous.
    That is still with an alloy seatpost (I have a carbon one just not fitted it), carbon railed saddle, and NO handlebar tape!
    It's running Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres, usually about 80-90 psi, and the ride is stupendous, so much that I am really hankering after a full carbon ultegra disc version..........

If you have ridden both, and can't split them, I would go with your gut instinct, OR if it is that close, simply the one you like the look of most, or maybe one has a marginally better spec than the other if looks are of no concern to you.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • alwayscycle
    alwayscycle Posts: 35
    As the others have said fit, tyre width/pressure are all key. It may also be worth checking gearing especially if you have some hilly routes. They are both nice bikes though. Enjoy.
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    I'm picking up a Domane 5.2 on friday after a bike fit. Concluded this was the best fit for my style and type of riding, long rides mainly and some charity events. Also it was the last one in Europe in my size and got a cracking deal on it. Coming from a Canyon Roadlite which was just all wrong, hypothetically speaking it should be like night and day.
  • mcxfisher
    jolmes wrote:
    I'm picking up a Domane 5.2 on friday after a bike fit. Concluded this was the best fit for my style and type of riding, long rides mainly and some charity events. Also it was the last one in Europe in my size and got a cracking deal on it. y.

As a matter of interest what age and physique are you?
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    29, 6foot4 bang on. pretty slim probably around 82kg.
  • mcxfisher
    Ah, opposite end of the spectrum from 5-8 stocky OAP!
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    As others have said, neither bike is anything like a duffer, not always easy to test ride though. I've got an ultegra carbon synapse with hydraulic brakes and absolutely love it. Pick the one you like the look of if you aren't sure, I doubt you'll be unhappy. Oh and I'm running 28s with ease.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have a Domane 5.2 which I think is great. However I do not know why they have hidden mudguard eyes. I have Michelin pro4 25mm tyres which do measure up a bit bigger but there is no clearance left for mudguards.
  • mcxfisher
    It's hard to describe the difference. After all the hype and reviews of the Domane's ISO de-coupler I was expecting real 'wow' comfort ride. It fell short on that score - great on the big bumps so you stayed seated and pedalling but less good at suppressing basic chatter - but exceeded expectations on speed, a real thoroughbred. The Synapse was a revelation in comfort: it felt more upright and slower but in the event was only 1.5% slower on the 5 common mile splits. However, I had ridden 10 miles best effort on a BMC GF01 immediately before, which probably accounted for being slower on the Synapse. All my test rides have been 10 miles with the bikes set up to my fit dimensions and my own pedals.

The Domane is full Ultegra whereas the Synapse is 105.

Many thanks for all the helpful comments.
  • ayjaycee
    Sounds like you are sold on the Synapse and, given my experience, I don't blame you for it. I've got Ultegra and it is really nice and smooth but I have also heard the same said about the latest 105. At the risk of throwing a spanner in your works,the other choice that you have to make is whether you buy now or wait until end-July(ish!) when you are likely to be able to get a large amount off the current price as that's when manufacturers will start discounting to shift 2016 models before the new range comes out. In the case of the Synapse, that's likely to be exactly the same bike but in a different colour scheme but it's up to you whether you want to wait a couple more months to save the money. My bike had just gone down from £2000 to £1600 when I bought it.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Have you thought about titanium. Doesn't need a de-coupler etc to soak up road buzz, Ti is famed for it's ability to smooth out road surfaces.
  • silverbugle
    silverbugle Posts: 21
    If you have knee and lower back issues and want to ride slightly longer distances then I suggest you focus on fit and comfort. The further you go, if you are not comfortable or the bike is a harsher ride, then your speed will dr0ip as you constantly move around to avoid discomfort. On that basis from your shortlist I would choose the Synapse and fit 28c tyres. You have said it was upright and more comfortable. The more upright is likely to be better for your back, and over a longer distance than 5 miles that will wipe out small speed differences. I went from 23c tyres to 28c a year ago and it made huge difference in ride. You don't say what Synapse carbon your are looking for but the Trek 5.2 is £2,200, whereas the Synapse Carbon with 105 is £1,600 (both non disk prices) are you comparing like with like? Lastly I wouldn't get hung up on Ultegra vs 105. Ultegra won't be more comfortable or give you a better position but it will cost you more than 105 and they are both 11 speed so no advantage there either. I have Sora on my bike. The gears change up and down on demand and the bike slows down under control when I brake.
  • mcxfisher
    Many thanks for the additional points.

Ayjaycee - I have end of line discounts on both, which brings the Domane just above the RRP of the Synapse. As a result the price differential isn't a significant factor in my decision.

Cam cycle - I looked at titanium (on which my semi-pro son can get heroic discount), but still couldn't get the specification I wanted within my budget. Nor could I try before buying.

Silver bugle - very clear. Not quite like with like but my analysis suggested that upgrading to the Ultegra Synapse wasn't cost effective (owing to the bigger discount on the 105).
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    mcxfisher wrote:
    Many thanks for the additional points.

Ayjaycee - I have end of line discounts on both, which brings the Domane just above the RRP of the Synapse. As a result the price differential isn't a significant factor in my decision.

Cam cycle - I looked at titanium (on which my semi-pro son can get heroic discount), but still couldn't get the specification I wanted within my budget. Nor could I try before buying.

Silver bugle - very clear. Not quite like with like but my analysis suggested that upgrading to the Ultegra Synapse wasn't cost effective (owing to the bigger discount on the 105).

Shame. How much are the Domane/Synapse? I just got an Enigma Ti for about the same as what I think you said the Domane was? If you have the bits on another bike you could go frame and fork route which works out cheaper.
  • mcxfisher
    Camcycle- I am keeping the Forme as my winter and turbo training bike so can't recycle the Campagnolo bits. The ti I fancied was the Van Nicholas Zephyr with 105 set and good wheels but as previously noted even the discounted price was over budget. For reference the Synapse is £1400 and the Domane £1800 (including bar and stem change to fit).
  • daniel_b
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mcxfisher
    Daniel,
    Thanks for the link. I've discounted disc brakes from my search as clinchers seem to suffice for me at a substantially lower price. Nice spec otherwise, but not keen on the colour.
  • ayjaycee
    mcxfisher wrote:
    I've discounted disc brakes

That's exactly what I did on the basis that I knew my Synapse was going to be a summer bike. Properly set up, the Ultegra 6800 brakes on the Synapse are very good even with the stock pads and, FWIW, the 105 5800 brakes on my Allez are probably just as good (albeit with Swisstop BXPs). The 105 calipers also have the room for my chosen mudguards which the Ultegras do not.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    The Carbon Synapses are a joy to ride and very very comfortable. I think I would have gone with discs though if I was living in North Yorkshire, sod the extra cost.
  • mcxfisher
    Ayjaycee- thanks for the useful information.

Kleinstroker - noted, but my bit of God's county gets only 30 inches of rain per year, but we have some great hills.
  • mcxfisher
    After a further 12 mile test ride today I have decided to buy the Synapse Carbon 105. The wheel upgrade can wait until next season.

Thank you everyone for your most helpful views and opinions.

Michael
  • daniel_b
    mcxfisher wrote:
    After a further 12 mile test ride today I have decided to buy the Synapse Carbon 105. The wheel upgrade can wait until next season.

Thank you everyone for your most helpful views and opinions.

Michael

Wonderful, I hope you will be very happy together - be sure to post some pics, and I will all then bore you with pics of my SRAM version - once I have washed it!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    edited May 2016
    ...just for information for any other old gits (I'm 58 1/2), I recently had occasion to hire a 2016 Spech Roubaix Comp, Ultegra, non-disc and found it superb..my own bike is a 2012 Roubaix and the new model is hugely improved, probably helped by the super slick Ultegra and 28mm tyres, mind. Even the shape of the bars felt comfier...
    With the standard stem flipped up, it was fine for my old back (even though I've recently been using a 24o stem for a shoulder issue).
    There do seem to be so many really good endurance bikes out there now, its going to be a tough choice when I upgrade later in the year....