Vittoria converts...

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,347
edited May 2016 in Road general
I bought a pair of Vittoria Open Corsa's for the winter bike and they're great. My Michelin's on the summer bike are due for a change.

So my choices are:

Vittoria Open Pave
Vittoria Open CX
Vittoria OPEN CORSA EVO-KX
Vittoria Open Pave CG...

I'd like a feel as close to tubulars as possible and I always use latex inner tubes. Any tangible difference between the i's, ii's and iii's apart from price?

I can fit the 27mm's or 28's as there is enough frame clearance. Any thoughts?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I believe the tpi increased as they upgraded versions
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    Pinno wrote:
    Any thoughts?

I'd be buying the Open Pave's and fitting them on the winter bike. Putting the Corsa's on the Summer bike.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I am a big fan of the Corsa SC as they offer stunning ride feel with exceptional performance, along with the retro black/tan look that I like. The downsides are that they are not cheap and don't offer great durability/protection, but everything has a trade off. They are now obsolete though as they were replaced this year by the Corsa G+ Isotech which are supposed to be even better so I have them on my list for next time around on the best bike. Might be worth seeing if you can pick up some of the SCs cheap but I am not sure if they come in 28s (I ride the 25s).
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    I used to live conto gp4000's but after getting a new bike with Vittoria diamante pro radiale on, I'm a convert. They cost less, weigh less and roll and feel miles better. Took me by surprise. Contis went on.. and back off! Opens will be next.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,251
    I used to live conto gp4000's but after getting a new bike with Vittoria diamante pro radiale on, I'm a convert. They cost less, weigh less and roll and feel miles better. Took me by surprise. Contis went on.. and back off! Opens will be next.

How far did you manage to go without punctures on a diamante?
    left the forum March 2023
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Pinno wrote:
    Any thoughts?

I'd be buying the Open Pave's and fitting them on the winter bike. Putting the Corsa's on the Summer bike.

Second this Open Paves are my #1 choice for winter Coras are lovely but I found them so soft they cut up so quick I couldn't justify the costs. Going to try the new G version next in the hope the hype is true ...
  • pinno
    I had a good look around the usual suspects for the SC's but to no avail. The G+ are extortionate. I would only be up for that outlay if they were exceptional... one might be tempted.
    No point putting the Corsa's on the summer bike - not much life in them. They were on sale at Evans.

Time for Giro highlights.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Pinno wrote:
    I had a good look around the usual suspects for the SC's but to no avail. The G+ are extortionate. I would only be up for that outlay if they were exceptional... one might be tempted.
    No point putting the Corsa's on the summer bike - not much life in them. They were on sale at Evans.

Time for Giro highlights.

i ve never had much luck with Vitts in either open or tubular but the vleoflex Corsa and carbon have proven to be very good, in a 25mm the Corsa is about £25.

Speaking to some dutch riders in Mallorca, they thought the G+ was about as perfect a tire as you could get, wear, grip and puncture proof all in one package.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    If anyone can point me in the direction of any source for the gumwall Vittoria Corsas under £30 I'd be grateful. Was looking today but most seem to be selling the new Vittoria G+ at more like £50 which is more than I'd pay for a tyre.

The other option is Veloflex - never used them but some reports say very similar to the Vittoria Corsa which I suppose makes sense given the history of the two companies.

Going back to the OP - I used to run a pair of Open Pave tubulars which came on some race wheels I bought years back and they were great - though they don't test as fast as the out and out race models I raced on them and didn't feel the need to change. I think I'd be tempted to run the clinchers as a winter tyre if you like the Vittorias - some good deals on 27mm versions around at the moment if they fit your bike - apart from anything else on the right bike the green and black looks great.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    pave winter, corsa summer, I've got some of the new ones to try when the gp4000ii die on the deep rims (25mm for both)

Rubino's on the cx bike when it isn't in cx kit. cheap and easy but not as nice as the more expensive stuff.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    If anyone can point me in the direction of any source for the gumwall Vittoria Corsas under £30 I'd be grateful. Was looking today but most seem to be selling the new Vittoria G+ at more like £50 which is more than I'd pay for a tyre.

The other option is Veloflex - never used them but some reports say very similar to the Vittoria Corsa which I suppose makes sense given the history of the two companies.

£26 in 25mm, gum wall.
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/veloflex- ... -veloflex/
  • pinno

http://www.vanillabikes.com/products/vi ... -road-tyre
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Have a look on planetx they stock older models of Vittoria and have %15 off this weekend
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • scott_w1987
    scott_w1987 Posts: 316
    I race on Corsa SC tubs in 25 and I train on Open Pave CG iii's in 25. Both have similar grip levels, pave's seem to be lasting longer and have more puncture protection. I think I'd always opt for something with slightly more puncture protection than a lighter tyre especially if it's not for racing. I've even got a spare set of pave cg tubs that I might replace the Corsa SC's with when the time comes as I think the difference will be marginal at best. A pair of clincher pave's can normally be had for between £50-60 most of the time. It's a shame vanilla bikes seem to have updated their Vittoria tyre stock to all the new G+ models because they had a great deal on conti tubes and pave tyres for £55.
  • pinno
    itboffin wrote:
    Have a look on planetx they stock older models of Vittoria and have %15 off this weekend

The Open Pave CG's are available in black and 27mm on PlX. They are not the iii's but at that price and the fact that the are not snot green, i'm sold. Thanks for that.

@Scott_w: Yes, the puncture resistance is preferable over other factors.

I doubt however, that there is much difference between the top Michelin's, Schwalbe's, Conti's and Vittoria's. The only thing I have noticed about the Michelin Pro 3 and Pro 4's are that they are very soft and wear quickly. The Conti's I found didn't roll as well as the Michelin's. I have no experience of Schwalbe's.

We shall see.
  • pinno
    aaaaargh. Only 1 in stock.
  • pinno
    2 x Vittoria Open Pave CG iii's from High on Bikes @ £30 each.

Happy days.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    sigma sport nab
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    Flâneur wrote:
    sigma sport nab

?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    the G+ versions of the corsa's are excellent, they roll well have pretty decent puncture protection and grip astoundingly well in the corners. if I were tt'ing, id say they were slightly slower than my 4000s but overall they are very nice.

only issue for me is the price. nearly £50.00 for a clincher is a bit silly.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Specialized turbo cottons look interesting but again £50 a pop. if I had a set of race only wheels maybe butas I'm ot racing this year I'm using my best wheels on any sunny day.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • philbar72
    the specialized turbo cottons are extremely fast but very fragile... I've raced on them once and DNF'd with a puncture, as has a competitor , and its been 2 races and 2 DNF's for him!

use them on decent roads and I'm sure you'll have fewer problems.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

I'm running these in 22mm on my TT bike. Surprisingly plush ride given how skinny they are and at 115PSI. Seem to roll pretty fast too. Haven't really pushed it when cornering yet or ridden in the wet so can't comment on grip. No punctures to date - covered about 300 miles. Good job as they were a pain to get on the rims so any roadside repair won't be quick!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,251
    Pretty sure the Specialized you mention are disguised Vittoria
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I didn't have much success with the Open Paves, they gave a nice ride but cut up very easily. I gave them away and fitted Michelin Pro4 SC. For summer tyres I can see the appeal of the Open CX, but tubeless Roadlites give a similar ride quality.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    I hoovered up a few pairs of SC off eBay a few weeks ago, 25s for my Tarmac and 23s for my Master, lovely lovely tyres.

I run CX in 23mm on my Dream too.

There's a few things putting me off the new G+ versions, a) the price and b) the white or grey sidewalls. The grey is less offensive but I just don't like the white at all.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581

320tpi and made in the same factory would suggest it, just their own recipe of rubber laid over the top.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988

800miles so far.. well 796.
  • philbar72
    Matt_N wrote:

320tpi and made in the same factory would suggest it, just their own recipe of rubber laid over the top.

yes , pretty much. slightly thinner rubber and slightly more unusual sizing ( 24/26).

according to the site that measures rolling resistance they run continental TT rubber a close-ish second... but are still very fragile. http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... otton-2016

It also says the G+'s roll just as well as the 4000S and Schwalbe ones. but are slightly heavier.
  • pinno
    philbar72 wrote:
    Matt_N wrote:

yes , pretty much. slightly thinner rubber and slightly more unusual sizing ( 24/26).

according to the site that measures rolling resistance they run continental TT rubber a close-ish second... but are still very fragile. http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... otton-2016

It also says the G+'s roll just as well as the 4000S and Schwalbe ones. but are slightly heavier.

Interesting comparison chart but no listing for Pave's.