bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited May 2018 in Road general
https://www.strava.com/activities/576161208

Quite impressive.

Now do it with just the big ring!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    There are plenty of events with 8 K + of climbing in one day... the Tour du Mont Blanc for instance... people generally go around the course in 12-18 hours and it's infinitely more meaningful than going up and down the same road the all day. I could go up and down Saintbury hill in the Cotswolds 50 times and claim a badge, but right minded people should think I am an idiot.
    left the forum March 2023
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    Are you on your period Ugo?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ugo.santalucia

Yes... this Everesting thing gets the worst out of people... including myself. :mrgreen: What's the point of doing it that way? Why not breaking it up even more and going up your garage ramp two thousand times?
  • bernithebiker

LOL!!
  • ugo.santalucia

LOL!!

Alright... I admit defeat, lunacy is now considered the norm and if you show common sense, you re a lunatic... :roll:

I'll start cycling backwards from tomorrow to conform, need to modify the freehub
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    The rules* clearly state...
    Rules about the ride route

– Rides can be of any length, and on any hill or mountain.

– Rides must only focus on one hill or mountain per ride (e.g. you can’t base yourself in one location and ride multiple hills). You cannot ride different routes on the same mountain. If there are 4 routes, that means there are 4 possible ‘everestings’ (think of it like the North and South face of Everest).

*not the rules that everyone thinks are actualy real, like the man up one for example.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bernithebiker

LOL!!

Alright... I admit defeat, lunacy is now considered the norm and if you show common sense, you re a lunatic... :roll:

I'll start cycling backwards from tomorrow to conform, need to modify the freehub

Climbing 8700m in one day is impressive and quite a feat, no matter how good a cyclist you are.

To keep distance to a minimum, you are obliged to repeat the same hill many times. Even in the Alps you can't do 8700m in 250 odd km, without some repeats somewhere.

Personally I wouldn't like to try this at all - a bit boring and mentally draining for me. But kudos to the guy that did it - even if it is a bit crazy, isn't that a good thing?
  • ugo.santalucia
    But kudos to the guy that did it - even if it is a bit crazy, isn't that a good thing?

No. It's not cycling, it's got nothing to do with cycling... it's about pushing pedals and crunching numbers... same thing as spending 13 hours on a static bike pretending to do something, or climbing Everest on a step machine. So yes, it is a decent athletic feat, although nothing really extreme, as hundreds of people finish the more demanding Tour du Mont Blanc every year, but not a cycling challenge.
  • First time ever I agree with Ugo, its not cycling
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Yes, I kinda do (agree with Ugo) too - to a degree. When it becomes more about numbers and virtual willy waving than enjoying the ride, then I think perspective just may have been lost.
    Strava is great, but when it gets to a point of obssession where it's as though an un-posted ride never happened....... well...
  • ugo.santalucia
    First time ever I agree with Ugo, its not cycling

Don't be silly, we agree on almost everything... :mrgreen:
  • bernithebiker
    Quite surprised at the amount of cynicism here. The guy just decided to climb the height of Everest in one day. On Majorca, there are not so many ways to do that if you want to keep the kms reasonable.
    "It's not cycling" - really? Why? Looks and smells like cycling to me.
    Some here also passing this off nonchalantly as a walk in the park, but I'd say don't knock it until you've tried it.
    This is like doing a tough Etape du Tour.....twice. Most people I see at the finish of Etapes would not be impressed if you told them to go back and do it all again.....
    Again, it's not how I'd choose to climb 8700m, but he decided to do it this way, good luck to him.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Some here also passing this off nonchalantly as a walk in the park, but I'd say don't knock it until you've tried it.

I have not said it's a walk in the park, I said it's a decent athletic feat. You will find that you don't need to be superman to do that or to do an iron man, with modern equipment, training, nutrition and such.
    Have I ever climbed 8800 metres in a day? No, but I am pretty confident it is possible and doing it that way is the easiest way to do it. Going up and down the same climb you can accumulate metres in a quick time. I have done 2000 mt in 2 hours 45 in March in the Alps, given a single 2K elevation climb I could do that in 2 hours 15. Hours on the bike trump metres of climbing. After Paris-Roubaix I was shattered, after the Fred Whitton I was OK, the latter has 3 times the climbing.
    If you look at the VAM of the guy is far from stellar, he is not superman, rather very normal, just someone who has the mindset to go up the same climb 12 times. I would probably lose motivation at the third ascent... the point is whether repeating the same exercise stubbornly over and over is something worth praise or not... I think not, others will think yes
  • Quite surprised at the amount of cynicism here. The guy just decided to climb the height of Everest in one day. On Majorca, there are not so many ways to do that if you want to keep the kms reasonable.
    "It's not cycling" - really? Why? Looks and smells like cycling to me.
    This is like doing a tough Etape du Tour.....twice. Most people I see at the finish of Etapes would not be impressed if you told them to go back and do it all again.....
    Again, it's not how I'd choose to climb 8700m, but he decided to do it this way, good luck to him.

+1 :D
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

To keep distance to a minimum, you are obliged to repeat the same hill many times. Even in the Alps you can't do 8700m in 250 odd km, without some repeats somewhere.

Without really thinking much about it

http://www.strava.com/routes/5038466
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I agree it's not cycling but it is undoubtedly an extreme mental and physical challenge one I intend to do myself bit not on a mental climb like that, I've already planned mine on a much more steady avg 6% for 1 mile.

Chapeau to the fella
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bernithebiker

I would probably lose motivation at the third ascent... the point is whether repeating the same exercise stubbornly over and over is something worth praise or not... I think not, others will think yes

Surely that's the point? I too, would probably lose motivation after the 3rd or 4th go. But that doesn't mean it's a useless, pointless thing to do.

It's in the same vein as riding 300 or 400km in a day. Or riding for 24 hours non stop. Not my cup of tea, but chapeau to those that do.

As you say, it's not so much a physical thing - a well trained cyclist SHOULD be able to do it, (albeit it WILL be very tough), but more a mental thing. Having the mental strength to keep going is impressive to my mind.

He doesn't seem to be looking for accolades or congratulations, he just wanted to see if he could climb 8700m in a day, which he has, so kudos to him from me.
  • ugo.santalucia
    davidof wrote:

Chapeau, one hell of a ride that one! :shock:
  • davidof
    davidof wrote:

Chapeau, one hell of a ride that one! :shock:

Yeah, we'll I'm not going to do it. Feel free to have a go. A big day for me is a couple of grand cols.
    Instagramme
  • ugo.santalucia
    davidof wrote:

Yeah, we'll I'm not going to do it. Feel free to have a go. A big day for me is a couple of grand cols.

It's funny cause if you look back at the Tour in the 1940s, these were the kind of stages they were doing... 300Km with 6-7 cols... on dirt roads of course... well over 10 hours... now they go through a modern hard stage in 5 hours
  • davidof
    davidof wrote:

It's funny cause if you look back at the Tour in the 1940s, these were the kind of stages they were doing... 300Km with 6-7 cols... on dirt roads of course... well over 10 hours... now they go through a modern hard stage in 5 hours

With little in the way of gears.

http://www.ina.fr/video/I00006457

Briançon – Aix-les-Bains Stage with mountain(s) 263 km (163 mi) 1948.
    "The Galibier in the middle of snowstorm, la Croix-de-Fer in mud, the col de Porte in fog and the Chartreuse in snow" - Geminiani
    Instagramme
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I don't see any harm in it if you actually enjoy doing it but there is an element of it being something that makes people end up doing things that they don't really enjoy; it is done purely for the sake of doing it. To take it to extreme, if it was legal and Strava had a Russian Roulette challenge, there is no doubt that some idiots would do it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    davidof wrote:

Saw one the other day at 94 miles. Will see if I can find it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    davidof wrote:

Saw one the other day at 94 miles. Will see if I can find it.

That's pretty hard to do with any climb. You need Hardknott or similar to do that. Maybe Monte Zoncolan...

For instance if you use the Mortirolo (12.5 Km at > 10% average), you need to go up 7 times, which totals 109 miles
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia

Used a 12% climb, makes sense... it doesn't make sense obviously, but it does make sense to use a 12% climb if that's what you want to do...

... if that makes sense... :lol:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Of course it's 'cycling' it's done on a bike isn't it. Everesting is cycling same as riding to the shops is cycling. You don't get to choose what cycling is.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm impressed any way you so it. A lot of miles and a hell of a lot of climbing, Seems more like torture than cycling but each to their own.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Fenix wrote:
    I'm impressed any way you so it. A lot of miles and a hell of a lot of climbing, Seems more like torture than cycling but each to their own.

and yet the difference between riding time and elapsed time is significant, which means he probably took a lot of breaks between each climb. An elapsed time of 16 hours, if you compare it with the 40 miles longer (and arguably much harder) TdMB puts you bang on the middle of a 500 strong pack, with prime rump folks finishing in just over 12 hours elapsed time

http://www.sportcommunication.info/TMB/ ... =FR&A=2015
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Hey - anyone is entitled to a cake stop ! ;-)